Having all this money laying around

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ain't such a bad idea after all now is it boys?

Rumors have been flying all over the place but regardless of the accuracy of any of that at the moment what is key is this:

THE PACKERS HAVE THE MONEY.

Why do they talk about LJ to the Pack? BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Moss? Because we can actually afford him.

But what does it do to us later? WE'RE O.K. THERE TO!

The cap goes up again next year and when BF calls it a day it's $10mill more in the kitty.

Sooner or later something being slung around out there is going to stick to the wall because we are FINANCIALLY SOUND enough to do any number of things.

All of a sudden having all this money laying around feels pretty darn good to me.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure is nice to have options - I agree !

Early in FA there were a LOT of teams with money. Now there are very few in a position to take down a top player.

We are now negotiating from a position of greater power and I believe exactly who will be on this roster (rookies aside) is far from being determined at this point.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Not to be negative, but what do both of these moves require that free agency doesn't? Draft pick or player compensation in the form of a trade.

If me make this deal as reported for LJ, that mean two young players not added on the team. If we have to give up a pick for Moss in the rumored trade, there is another pick or two gone.

All of a sudden we are looking more and more like the Redskins which is brought up everytime spending money on free agents comes along.

I am all for the moves, but there is a cost to standing pat and having all this money and holes to fill. Young talent.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
watch out here comes mr optimistic
LOLOLOL!!!!

Anyway........if you don't have the money when you really need it, because you pissed it away, you can be in a world of hurt.
They have resources to do what they want.
I am 100% sure they have a plan, and we will see it when they are done.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:
OregonPackFan said:
watch out here comes mr optimistic

watch out here comes mr. baiter
(I'm glad you said "MR." and not "Master!") LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

Theres an old joke that says "what do you call a guy who can put 6 worms on a fishing hook"

Yeah you got it
LOL! Our local twist on that was to tell an elaborate story of how i worked all summer down at Lake Michigan, baiting hooks for the fisherman. By next year i hope to be the......(insert punchline!). LOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Wait til it gets done befotre you start patting backs

Zero posted last year that Andrew Brandt, on a local Radio show, said how the Packers always used their entire allotted cap.

yep by the end of the season when Holliday and the rest of the rookies WRs and CB's were signed, the Packers had used every cent of cap space. TT mentoined this in an interview.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zero posted last year that Andrew Brandt, on a local Radio show, said how the Packers always used their entire allotted cap.

This is the point of the post.

The money is going to get spent and it will get a higher return now than when all the other teams had money as well. Players getting moved now will have to be more realistic.

Thirty two teams aren't loaded with cash like earlier.

Why would TT get the team in the financial position to be able to make moves most other teams cannot make and then not do it?

Like I said, the roster is going to change between now and the start of the season. Just follow the money. It tells the same story.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and its the same story as last year, as far as i'm concerned. we had money--> we didn't make any big deals early in FA--> other teams had spent like crazy--> we ended up with Pickett and Woodson. so many people here have this attitude about Thompson that he's guarding all this money like Scrooge, and that's simply not true. He wants to use all of the cap room to get the best players. it's not his money! he's gonna use all of it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my problem re having all that cash now available is that I personally don't like the players that the money will probably be used on. But that's my personal problem, I guess. My favorites are not the same as most here. I hope for Turner and Kris Jenkins but I'm solidly in the minority, I know. Oh well, we all want the Packers to improve so as long as TT hits on a few, we can all rejoice.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know its freakin silly for someone to call Ted Thompson cheap. its not his money, its not like he gets to take home the rest and buy a boat. hes out there making concious effort to keep the packers in a reasonable cap situation, and to make sure that he never paints himself into a corner by spending all the money.

what happens when Ted goes out and buys every player one of these idiots mentions and then a guy like LJ michael turner or Moss comes up and we dont have to cash to get him....

it kills me to hear people ranting about how TT is cheap and acting like hes trying to screw over the packers... its a retarded concept.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to be negative, but what do both of these moves require that free agency doesn't? Draft pick or player compensation in the form of a trade.

If me make this deal as reported for LJ, that mean two young players not added on the team. If we have to give up a pick for Moss in the rumored trade, there is another pick or two gone.
Rarely are great players available in FA. If we wanted an FA RB, our options were Jamal Lewis or Ahman. Neither are in the class of LJ. Heck, look at what teams were giving up to get backs like Thomas Jones and McGahee who are also nowhere near LJ.

If you want an impact player at a skilled position, your options are to draft one or trade for one. And, given the crapshoot that the draft is (and the fact that we are 16th), there was little chance of the former this season.

All of a sudden we are looking more and more like the Redskins which is brought up everytime spending money on free agents comes along.
We've had 23 draft picks in the past 2 seasons and 17 are still part of the team (7-10 in major roles). The Redskins haven't had 17 recent draft picks on their roster since the Reagan administration. Given how GB has drafted in the past two seasons and the depth we now have, this is the year where we could afford to use only 5-6 picks (which would still be more than Washington has) and take a shot at landing some proven impact players.

I am all for the moves, but there is a cost to standing pat and having all this money and holes to fill. Young talent.
I see our options as three-fold:

1. Bring in retred FAs in the mold of "Kneeless" Joe Johnson and Hardly Tackleson to hold the fort and draft guys for the future.

2. Go out and sign some younger high-priced FAs that may or may not produce (there's a reason their teams allowed them to enter FA to begin with). Then draft guys for the future (knowing that you won't have much money left to extend others because of your drunken sailor spending).

3. Try to trade a few picks for known commodities and hope they continue to perform at their level moving forward. Now, you will lose some picks but chances are guys like LJ and Moss will be much better than any group of guys we could grab at 1, 3 and 4. Plus, we will still have 5-6 picks (and the option to trade down in the 2nd) to add more players.

I think 3 is just as solid an option as any of the other two - especially when you have all the picks still on our roster from the past two drafts that we do.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe their will be a bargin sale after the draft. Once teams start cutting current players due to their price tag TT will be able to get a few good additions with paying a high cost.

robkeg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe their will be a bargin sale after the draft. Once teams start cutting current players due to their price tag TT will be able to get a few good additions with OUT paying a high cost.
Sorry for the typo.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I'm not too worried about not getting a FB or TE yet. There will be numerous solid guys after June 1 at these spots. IMO, we need to get a potential starter at RB, a third WR and a safety from this draft. Everything else can be added in FA or with fliers from late round guys.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Rarely are great players available in FA. If we wanted an FA RB, our options were Jamal Lewis or Ahman. Neither are in the class of LJ. Heck, look at what teams were giving up to get backs like Thomas Jones and McGahee who are also nowhere near LJ.

If you want an impact player at a skilled position, your options are to draft one or trade for one. And, given the crapshoot that the draft is (and the fact that we are 16th), there was little chance of the former this season.

We've had 23 draft picks in the past 2 seasons and 17 are still part of the team (7-10 in major roles). The Redskins haven't had 17 recent draft picks on their roster since the Reagan administration. Given how GB has drafted in the past two seasons and the depth we now have, this is the year where we could afford to use only 5-6 picks (which would still be more than Washington has) and take a shot at landing some proven impact players.

1. Bring in retred FAs in the mold of "Kneeless" Joe Johnson and Hardly Tackleson to hold the fort and draft guys for the future.

2. Go out and sign some younger high-priced FAs that may or may not produce (there's a reason their teams allowed them to enter FA to begin with). Then draft guys for the future (knowing that you won't have much money left to extend others because of your drunken sailor spending).

3. Try to trade a few picks for known commodities and hope they continue to perform at their level moving forward. Now, you will lose some picks but chances are guys like LJ and Moss will be much better than any group of guys we could grab at 1, 3 and 4. Plus, we will still have 5-6 picks (and the option to trade down in the 2nd) to add more players.

I think 3 is just as solid an option as any of the other two - especially when you have all the picks still on our roster from the past two drafts that we do.

Very solid points you have made, and I can't rebuttle too much with this crop of FA that were available this year. RB were very limited, and the high quality players such as Clements we didn't need. NO DOUBT.

The point I hear again and again on this board is that we need to build through the draft and shy away from free agency. My point, is that you have to have a blend of young players and veterans to compete in this league.

These trades are just like diving into FA but it costs us not only the big money you spend in FA, but costs additional picks or young players. But if we can do it, for sure I want it done, but when Ted was letting RB after RB get signed this offseason, he for sure didn't know that LJ would come available. Yes he might have been waiting for June 1st cut, but if RB at the begining of FA were retreads, most of these guys are tires that were capped and bald.

I was comfortable with the WR situation because we have Driver and Krob will be back some point this year. Plus sooner or later Moss will be available via trade or FA. I think Ted has played that card perfectly, NO DOUBT.

I want us to get the best possible players period. Not the bargin bin players ran into the starting lineup the past couple of years. These rumors give me hope that Ted does have a sense of urgency and wants to field the best team possible each and every year. Not the Taco Wallace's of the world. That isn't just on Ted, it is on Sherman too.

What some of this board don't seem to understand about people like ME is that I want the Packers to win. Others can understand my frustrations when you see undrafted free agent after undrafted free agent added and substracted from the roster like a video game. You signed him last week and he practiced four days, go run a route and let Brett guess where you are. To me, that either is lack of planning, relying on your superstar to do everything, or you really don't want to win. It is not hatred of Ted and what he is doing, it is frustrated with the lack of players on the field. Ted just happens to be the ones that lines them up.

In closing ...... NO MORE TACOS :)

Win Baby, Just WIN!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of a sudden we are looking more and more like the Redskins

I....don't get it.

pyledriver80 said:

yep by the end of the season when Holliday and the rest of the rookies WRs and CB's were signed, the Packers had used every cent of cap space. TT mentoined this in an interview.

:mossfro: Afro Smiley approves this message.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles said:
Pack93z said:

Very solid points you have made, and I can't rebuttle too much with this crop of FA that were available this year. RB were very limited, and the high quality players such as Clements we didn't need. NO DOUBT.

The point I hear again and again on this board is that we need to build through the draft and shy away from free agency. My point, is that you have to have a blend of young players and veterans to compete in this league.

These trades are just like diving into FA but it costs us not only the big money you spend in FA, but costs additional picks or young players. But if we can do it, for sure I want it done, but when Ted was letting RB after RB get signed this offseason, he for sure didn't know that LJ would come available. Yes he might have been waiting for June 1st cut, but if RB at the begining of FA were retreads, most of these guys are tires that were capped and bald.

I was comfortable with the WR situation because we have Driver and Krob will be back some point this year. Plus sooner or later Moss will be available via trade or FA. I think Ted has played that card perfectly, NO DOUBT.

I want us to get the best possible players period. Not the bargin bin players ran into the starting lineup the past couple of years. These rumors give me hope that Ted does have a sense of urgency and wants to field the best team possible each and every year. Not the Taco Wallace's of the world. That isn't just on Ted, it is on Sherman too.

What some of this board don't seem to understand about people like ME is that I want the Packers to win. Others can understand my frustrations when you see undrafted free agent after undrafted free agent added and substracted from the roster like a video game. You signed him last week and he practiced four days, go run a route and let Brett guess where you are. To me, that either is lack of planning, relying on your superstar to do everything, or you really don't want to win. It is not hatred of Ted and what he is doing, it is frustrated with the lack of players on the field. Ted just happens to be the ones that lines them up.

In closing ...... NO MORE TACOS :)

Win Baby, Just WIN!

Good post. To me it's silly to look at any certain approach and say "Thats the way you do it".

It doesn't matter if you get guys in FA in March or August. It doesn't matter if you have 20 rookies or 50 veterans.

The bottom line is you put the best 22 guys you can on the field game in and game out. If you win, you did a good job, If you lose, you didn't. I don't care where or when we get players. I don't care if they are 40 or 20. I don't care if we have 80 milion dollars in cap space left or A nickel. I just want to see the Packers go out and be competitive and make the playoffs.

Thats what its about and as of yet Ted hasn't delivered anything close. You can sit back and be confident in him. You can think hes building a friggin Roman Empire but I will give him credit when the Packers are playing in January.