Happy Hour is Coming enjoy the Drafts

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 years ago, in spring 2004 after a 4th and 26 exit there was disappointment but underlying optimism at Packer headquarters. Disappointment hurt more than optimism is some departments as the defensive coordinator was fired. McKenzie got really upset.

The extra dollars to retain Bidwell were tied up in Jamal Reynolds, Joe Johnson, and Cleditus Hunt. Emotion now affected decision making. A 4th round selection down the drain. Keeping Bidwell would have avoided spending multiple picks on a lesser punter. Those picks could be players ready to play now.

What a difference 2 years makes. Where is the talent? Like watered down light beer some prior rounds of drafts left the Packers unsatisfied. Now, after some time in the rest room, one asks "Where did the Packer drafts go?"

Well to answer that let's go back to the light rounds the Sherman bought and sent down the drain.

Looking at the fate of some other draft selections one has to wonder at what a difference they would have made:

1) If Bhawoh Jue (3rd round 01) had produced at CB he would have replaced McKenzie and a 1st round pick could be spent on a player other than Carroll.

2) If Marshall (3rd round 01)had been a player the 1st round pick on Barnett could have been used elsewhere.

3) If Marques Anderson(3rd round 02) had been a good Safety the pick on Nick Collins could have been used elsewhere. Had the traded draft pick been used on a draft choice instead of Truluck?

4) Had Ferrario(4th round 01) been a better pick then the departure of Wahle and Rivera would have not been as bad a situation.

Alright woulda, coulda, shoulda, why rehash these painful and fateful decisions and cry in your beer, California Cheez?

Well, to point out that draft picks are very important even 6th round picks that can become a Marco Rivera, Mark Chumura, Matt Hasselback. Trading up in the draft and throwing away picks has had a disasterous affect upon the talent level of the Packers.

Having young depth developing will eventually replace starters when they are too old, slow or expensive to continue avoids spending big dollars in free agency and developes and maintains team unity keeping players together longer. Don't worry if there is trading down like last year.

If this coaching staff can work with the younger players the talent level on the team will rise considerably.

Lets look for example at Hawkins. What can drafting a raw talent 5th rounder do for a team?
1) Never learn anything and is released as a bust. Not much spent and some busts will happen.

2) Develop somewhat and is roster depth until contract runs out. Slight disappointment of a 5th round.

3) Develop as good quality depth and signs another contract with Packers or other team. A team needs guys like this.

4) Develops into a good player and is Al Harris replacement. Investment in time pays off and a high round pick can be spent elsewhere instead of replacing Harris or if replaced with high pick can be traded for a good pick.

5) He learns quickly and becomes starter instead of Ahmad Carroll. He has perhaps a long fruitful career.

Looking at the possible outcomes there is a greater probability of positive outcome than negative. That is true with each pick in each round. Hence the more picks the more likelyhood of positive outcomes.

So now that your still with me and watching the hourglass figure near me. Yes the Sherman Lght Draft era is one of not drafting well and trading draft picks for questionable players. Yes, using the picks is a good thing but getting more more selections and using them is better.

But why have the patience? Why not let some other team develop a fifth round pick like Kampmann and spend the time teaching him and then get the player in free agency?

In theory nice but it is too expensive to have many expensive imports like that, they still have to spend time learning your teams system, and they intangibles of contract jealousy of teammates who have been there longer, and your attracing guys who are not happy with past team and generally they cost more than your own guys to obtain.

Well I hear you, "Mr. California Cheez your premise leads to a conclusion that is to tell Packer fans to sit still and it will get better??? You expect them to watch Brett's final years in a rebuilding effort? The cap money is there!"

Well yes and no. The cap constraints of 2005 in part forced a strategy or going young and cheap. The money was not there and rather than running up a tab in Daniel Snyder fashion(trading draft choice for players and signing big contracts), Ted Thompson is building from the bottom up.

Draft choices, are the tried and true method of building a team and the only way to sustain a team. Remember that Ron Wolf guy and how he sustained a winning team? He could always spot the overlooked microbrew in the cooler.

Brett is a long lasting enjoyable premium selection. Enjoy watching his records in the 2-3 years it takes some of the young drafts to develop. Brett will taste the playoffs again in Green Bay.

As to the cap money, there are lots of ways to spend it. One possibility is it could be handed out this year as a reward for certain players. For example, Barnett is in the 4th year of his deal and the young guys on the D-line could get extensions before they hit the open market in 2008 making more of next years cap available for other priorities in 2007 and not spending a lot on those players if they hit the open market. It is always good to tip those who serve it up with the right attitude.

Good things keep happening when a team has many selections and more success when used wisely. Like the stock market you buy low and trade high. The pressure is really on the coaching new staff to take a young product and increase its value.

Gado, Collins, Whitticker, Hawkins and Montgomery and this year's draftee's are part of a new era in Packer football. Tauscher and Kampann will see it. Something flavorful is being fermented in Green Bay. This year's recipe may be similar to 1994 or 2000. Don't like that? Well, part of the fun is watching the product being made. It appears to be the plan we have to get on board with it.

I'm looking forward to Ted's 2006 draft. Not a Sherman Light draft of two but a high calorie draft of 5 or more players.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very nice post. TT haters need to realize that you can't build a great team that is great for more than 1 or maybe 2 years in one week of free agency.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Very nice post. TT haters need to realize that you can't build a great team that is great for more than 1 or maybe 2 years in one week of free agency.

A lot of posters on this forum should reread that statement a dozen more times. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Glad see my scanning of Coach's Daughter is still appreciated lol

Is that what you kids call it nowadays? SCANNING :shock: You could be arrested for "scanning" a 14 year old 8)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
Glad see my scanning of Coach's Daughter is still appreciated lol

Is that what you kids call it nowadays? SCANNING :shock: You could be arrested for "scanning" a 14 year old 8)

Yep, that is what us quarter century old's call it now a 'days'.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dbv4b4b29ygf398gf9128gf3fg33g33g3!

LOL!

You better put that away before the old men come in here and yell at you for being immature (but i think they went to sleep, its waay past their bedtime)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I forgot about McCarthy's daughter. I guess we got some new members that weren't around for the 9 page thread on her a few months ago. Ryan outta make that a sticky thread.

Sounds like some of you already have :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
mattresell said:
I forgot about McCarthy's daughter. I guess we got some new members that weren't around for the 9 page thread on her a few months ago. Ryan outta make that a sticky thread.

Sounds like some of you already have :lol:

lol sick

Members online

Latest posts