Guess Who's stat line is this?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 388 snaps, he has 17 tackles,two sacks, no forced fumbles, and one pass defended. In seven of his 10 games, he's had only one tackle.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels would be correct, good thing we are paying him, clay and peppers so much money. In fact we are paying the 3 of theme 33 million for somewhere around 9.5 sacks and 42 tackles. Let's not even talk about how ugly it is if we throw in shields 12 million and his stats

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beat me to it with the mention of our other defense stars. As long as I have the numbers, though, Matthews = 14 tackles, 3 sacks, no FF while Peppers has 10/4.5/1.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I would have to say Mike Daniels.

You're guess would be correct. I'm not a firm believer that stats tell ENTIRE story of how well a player is doing...but it's important. He's ranked 6 amongst 3-4 D-Ends.. and that's the highest positional ranking amongst anyone on the team not named Aaron Rodgers. But he's gotta step his game up big time going down the stretch. He doesn't give you much in the pass rushing dept but since teams no longer really need to run on us he can't continue to get single blocked. Time to stop commiting untimely penalties, talking so much, and earn that check. These are not great #'s at all.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree on Stats not always telling the entire story, but Daniels over aggressiveness has cost the Packers a few times this year with some poorly timed stupid penalties, a taunting and late hit come to mind. I like the Fire in Mike Daniels, but he needs to use it to fire up his teammates on the field and back it up with some smart productive play of his own. I'm not ready to declare that he was overpaid, but more production and less talk please Mike.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels would be correct, good thing we are paying him, clay and peppers so much money. In fact we are paying the 3 of theme 33 million for somewhere around 9.5 sacks and 42 tackles. Let's not even talk about how ugly it is if we throw in shields 12 million and his stats

Man that's a lot of dead money smh.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not dead money in the salary cap sense (wasted, sure). The good part is that next year, Clay would be $11.1 net savings if not here, Peppers is UFA, I don't believe Shields will cost us anything if it's a medical retirement (Capt, some help here), and Daniels' hit isn't nearly as bad as the others when availability and productivity are considered. So, more holes to plug, but a lot of cash with which to do it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not dead money in the salary cap sense (wasted, sure). The good part is that next year, Clay would be $11.1 net savings if not here, Peppers is UFA, I don't believe Shields will cost us anything if it's a medical retirement (Capt, some help here), and Daniels' hit isn't nearly as bad as the others when availability and productivity are considered. So, more holes to plug, but a lot of cash with which to do it.

I'm not Captain, but pretty sure the $3,125,000 due Shields as part of his signing bonus is a dead cap hit and the Packers won't "save" that if Sam is released or he retires due to injury. This was "bonus" money promised to him when he signed a new contract in 2014.

I still wouldn't hesitate to cut Shields and save $9M by doing so. Only way I see Shields playing in GB next year is if he reworks his current contract AND receives solid medical clearance to play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

According to PFF's grades Daniels (84.5) is ranked ninth among all interior defenders in the league and tied with Nick Perry as the highest graded Packers defender.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to PFF's grades Daniels (84.5) is ranked ninth among all interior defenders in the league and tied with Nick Perry as the highest graded Packers defender.

Isn't his pay grade #3 in the NFL for DL? Not saying too much this year to be the highest graded Packer defender for sure. I still like Daniels and glad he was resigned, hard to build a defense around a bunch of average or no name guys. I doubt if you polled casual NFL fans, they would recognize the name of any Packer defender other than Matthews and Peppers. Daniels is a good nucleus on the D-line, just need to get some better players around him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Isn't his pay grade #3 in the NFL for DL? Not saying too much this year to be the highest graded Packer defender for sure. I still like Daniels and glad he was resigned, hard to build a defense around a bunch of average or no name guys. I doubt if you polled casual NFL fans, they would recognize the name of any Packer defender other than Matthews and Peppers. Daniels is a good nucleus on the D-line, just need to get some better players around him.

Daniels is the fifth highest paid 3-4 defensive end based on average salary. When evaluating his performance fans have to realize he's the one defender constantly being double teamed.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I'm not Captain, but pretty sure the $3,125,000 due Shields as part of his signing bonus is a dead cap hit and the Packers won't "save" that if Sam is released or he retires due to injury. This was "bonus" money promised to him when he signed a new contract in 2014.

I still wouldn't hesitate to cut Shields and save $9M by doing so. Only way I see Shields playing in GB next year is if he reworks his current contract AND receives solid medical clearance to play.
I believe that he has already been paid that 3.125M. He was paid his entire signing bonus up front. This is just an accounting practice in that the team can spread the signing bonus "hit" to the books over the life of the contract. Kind of like depreciation.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is one of the few good players on this team. His job is to eat up double teams and push the line back. If he was not on this team we would be seeing 10 yds a pop on every single run play. He needs to cut the **** after the whistle but aside from that he, 12 and 17 have been the only players worth a damn on this team this year.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is one of the few good players on this team. His job is to eat up double teams and push the line back. If he was not on this team we would be seeing 10 yds a pop on every single run play. He needs to cut the **** after the whistle but aside from that he, 12 and 17 have been the only players worth a damn on this team this year.
I agree fully with this. An interior lineman's job isn't to make tackles or defend passes so I don't really understand the point of this thread.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is the fifth highest paid 3-4 defensive end based on average salary. When evaluating his performance fans have to realize he's the one defender constantly being double teamed.
Hence the need to surround him with better players.
Thompson has gone heavy drafting defense over the last number of years yet the defense is a problem so I don't see that happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree fully with this. An interior lineman's job isn't to make tackles or defend passes so I don't really understand the point of this thread.
correct... Roddell is off base
Daniels gets dbl teamed... His job is partly to let other players get the **** stats.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a position with a ton of production, unless it's someone ridiculous like Watt or Donald. But they aren't exactly drafting guys like that, so they have to pay the good players they do have. Daniels is good, and he's on the field. More than you can say for Matthews or Shields.

Members online

Latest posts