Green Bay noted as not a place to go for players

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly with football being such a short season and being so intensive, I think the importance of being in a big market with major amenities is negated, at least for free agents who are serious about performing at their absolute best. I think this is an area where Green Bay actually benefits over teams like Miami, because if you attract a free agent he is most likely coming to win and not to party his brains out. Football is a sport where many free agents underperform once the $ comes, the drive and effort to compete at the highest level just isn't there for most unless they come to a winning system like New England that prioritizes success. I actually think a place like Green Bay is a great place to find your best self and perform at a high level without excess distractions.

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that for the majority of free agents, it's simply show me the money. GB thankfully doesn't overpay for free agents (except their own on occasion).
In my opinion, Milwaukee and Chicago aren't that far away. Green Bay is more affordable, which makes 4 million a year pretty good, compared to N.Y. or LA. TT makes a player EARN his paycheck or he is gone

Sky King

Reaction score
In my opinion, Milwaukee and Chicago aren't that far away. Green Bay is more affordable, which makes 4 million a year pretty good, compared to N.Y. or LA. TT makes a player EARN his paycheck or he is gone
The counter financial argument is that in Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville, and soon Las Vegas a player would need only to maintain a single residence year-round. Plus, as residents of those cities they wouldn't need to pay State income taxes as they must do in WI. For some players it truly could be a business decision.

Green Bay certainly has its virtues. Cost of living and a mild climate are definitely not amongst them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I can possibly see a player thinking about or being advised by their agent that "this State or that State" is more favorable because of its Low or non-existent State and Local Income Taxes, it really isn't that large of a percentage, especially when compared to the Fed Rate. So is it relevant? Probably, but I doubt that it has been the deciding factor for choosing one Team/State over another. Also, that is just one small piece of the "State Tax" to look at. What is the sales Tax, property Tax, etc? Will that new $5 Million dollar home and $100K car cost them more to buy and own in Green Bay or Dallas? What kind of home does $5 M buy you in Green Bay VS. Dallas?

Sky King

Reaction score
While I can possibly see a player thinking about or being advised by their agent that "this State or that State" is more favorable because of its Low or non-existent State and Local Income Taxes, it really isn't that large of a percentage, especially when compared to the Fed Rate. So is it relevant? Probably, but I doubt that it has been the deciding factor for choosing one Team/State over another. Also, that is just one small piece of the "State Tax" to look at. What is the sales Tax, property Tax, etc? Will that new $5 Million dollar home and $100K car cost them more to buy and own in Green Bay or Dallas? What kind of home does $5 M buy you in Green Bay VS. Dallas?
Look at the earlier thread that I posted. It shows the States listed in order. WI does not fare well @ #11.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Look at the earlier thread that I posted. It shows the States listed in order. WI does not fare well @ #11.

Right and I posted something last week about the "Jock Tax".

https://smartasset.com/taxes/NFL-jock-taxes

I guess when you are making a million plus, State income tax isn't that big of a bite from your total, especially when compared with Federal Income Tax. The point I was trying to make is that if a player is going to look hard and long at the State Income Tax he may be saving by signing in one city over another, he might also want to look at the big picture....which would include Sales Tax, Property Tax, etc. in the State. A good agent might put together a spreadsheet showing him just how much his salary is worth in every state, after tax. Such spreadsheet should also include the "real value" of his dollar in each State as well. So my point being, just looking purely at State Income Tax savings from one State to another, might not be a really good reason for a Free agent signing with one team over another.

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason in choosing Green Bay may be simular to why prospects chose the college team. The Packers are rich in history-13 time world champions, Hall of Famers from Lombardi to Favre, Rodgers has to be a drawing factor and being on a winning team with a chance to win a super bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

The counter financial argument is that in Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville, and soon Las Vegas a player would need only to maintain a single residence year-round. Plus, as residents of those cities they wouldn't need to pay State income taxes as they must do in WI. For some players it truly could be a business decision.

Green Bay certainly has its virtues. Cost of living and a mild climate are definitely not amongst them.

You have to consider that the daily expenses living in Green Bay are significantly lower compared to large cities like NY, LA and others.

Sky King

Reaction score
Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an opportunity to compare Green Bay to every other NFL city:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx/

Edit: Since Green Bay is not one of the cities listed use Fon du Lac, WI. It's the closest comparable WI city and is a fair substitute.
Ok, I did this but really, Fond du Lac metro? Does this include Eden and Waucousta?

Furthermore, who in Fondy buys margarine???

P.S. You can get some good pricing at the Eden Meat Market. I'm suspicious of some of these numbers.

Sky King

Reaction score
The fact that it's not even listed already confirmed my suspicion that the differential in cost of living is much more significant than differential in state tax burden.
Unfortunately, it also underscores the problem of having something exciting for young millionaires to do with their free time during their offseasons.

If they maintain two households it would offset any savings the lower cost of living in Green Bay may provide them. An older person may see the financial advantages of small town living year-round. A family man may also see advantages for raising children as long as the lowbrow fanatics don't subject their families to abuse when they're unhappy about something. And they could also stay warmer in the Winter by stuffing money into their clothing.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they maintain two households it would offset any savings the lower cost of living in Green Bay may provide them.

I guess that a lot of NFL players maintain two households even while playing in significant larger cities like Green Bay.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess when they live in a large city like Green Bay they probably would want to live in a smaller community during the offseason. ;)
Like when Big Papi wintered in Wrightstown for several seasons while waiting for baseball to restart. He had married a local girl when he minor leagued in Appleton a few seasons before.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how he got his nickname?
per his wiki
Personal life
... Ortiz's nickname "Big Papi" originates from his habit of calling people whose names he can't remember "Papi". The nickname was given to him by Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy.[48]

Ortiz and his wife, Tiffany, have three children. Since marrying Tiffany, he has become a fan of the Green Bay Packers. (His wife hails from Kaukauna, Wisconsin, a town in between the cities of Green Bay and Appleton).[49] In April 2013, Ortiz announced that he and his wife were separating,[50] but they later reconciled.[51]

Members online

Latest posts