Green Bay noted as not a place to go for players

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have heard this song and dance before. I was listening to Mike and Mike in the am and Damien Woody et al and the gist of the conversation stated that the reason why Rodgers hasn't gotten farther in the playoffs lies with many different factors including Green Bay not being a desirable place to go and live for players in the NFL. Uh oh - this is old hat, before Reggie White came along, the exact same facts were common to be heard. Thoughts?

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that were a considerable factor in where players end up you'd think FL teams would be better, not to mention no state income tax in FL.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If that were a considerable factor in where players end up you'd think FL teams would be better, not to mention no state income tax in FL.

The Florida teams, especially the Dolphins and Jaguars, routinely prove this theory by attracting and signing big name free agents. But it's no surprise that they aren't better-- as a rule, that's a crappy way to build a team.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol now there's a shocker. I would consider Green Bay a better place to live than New England but winning means a lot

Sky King

Reaction score
No income tax is an important factor. However, the entire tax burden needs to be considered since sales tax and other miscellaneous taxes can also affect the total amount of taxes being paid.

States with no income tax:
  • Alaska
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
States with nearly no income tax:
  • Tennessee
  • New Hampshire
Overall Tax Burden by State (Source: Wallet Hub)

1 New York
2 Hawaii
3 Vermont
4 Maine
5 Minnesota
6 Connecticut
7 New Jersey
8 Rhode Island
9 Illinois
10 California
11 Wisconsin
12 Maryland
13 Ohio
14 West Virginia
15 Arkansas
16 Nebraska
17 Mississippi
18 Massachusetts
19 Iowa
20 Kansas
20 New Mexico
22 Kentucky
23 Indiana
24 Pennsylvania
25 Utah
26 Michigan
27 Oregon
28 North Carolina
29 Louisiana
30 Nevada
31 Arizona
32 Georgia
33 Washington
34 Texas
35 Colorado
36 North Dakota
37 South Carolina
38 Missouri
39 Idaho
40 Virginia
41 Montana
42 Wyoming
43 Alabama
44 South Dakota
45 Florida
46 New Hampshire
47 Oklahoma
48 Tennessee
49 Alaska
50 Delaware

Perhaps another and ultimately the more relevant factor for the young men playing the game is how appealing living in a particular city could be. It may be the most important one for many.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-cities-to-live-in-your-20s-2015-6
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-cities-to-live-in-your-20s-2015-6
Realistically, the appeal of Green Bay's lifestyle is probably not all that strong for many young men. It doesn't mean that they will not play there. The team may have a very rich history in the NFL but the community is undeniably small and does not offer much in the way of nightlife or other distractions that would appeal to most young guys with time and a whole lot of money on their hands, especially those who hail from the large urban environment. It's not an indictment of the Green Bay lifestyle but a nod towards the kind of off-field environment and available social activities that young people may prefer over what the smallest NFL city can actually offer to them.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's why the Packers need to offer more $$ to the FA's they desire...especially in this "all-in, i'm on the back 9" era we're in...before nuclear winter sets in when he quits.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I want to know why anyone would doubt this or be surprised by it.

We're talking about wealthy, high profile millennials. I can't imagine Green Bay, WI is high on any of their lists in terms of destination.

That doesn't mean that free agency isn't an option for the Packers. I would prefer if the front office would use that tool a little more (like this last offseason). But I think people who imagine that they'll ever be a major mover and shaker are misguided.

Green Bay will always need to be a draft and develop operation at its core.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With most players having the financial means to live in any City they want during the offseason, you would hope if there was less of a desire to "live" in Green Bay, a smart player would see it as an opportunity to live in a less distractive environment while working and the ability to "vacation" anywhere he chooses during the other months. Now the players that have a wife and/or kids, those might be the ones looking at Green Bay and comparing it to other communities, to see which fits their particular family the best. While some players have gotten into a bit of trouble in Brown County, seems to me that the ones who do get into trouble, usually find it elsewhere.

I would reason that evaluating the pluses and minuses of any of the 32 cities is something a FA might look at as a factor in making their decisions, but there are probably many other factors that might weigh heavier in their final decisions.

D

Deleted member 6794

While there are definitely free agents every single year that don't want to play in Green Bay I believe that number to be pretty small and don't consider it a valid reason for the Packers not to sign more veterans who previously lined up for other teams.

that's why the Packers need to offer more $$ to the FA's they desire...especially in this "all-in, i'm on the back 9" era we're in...before nuclear winter sets in when he quits.

The Packers overpaying to sign free agents who don't want to live in the smallest city in the league would be a terrible way to run the team.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With most players having the financial means to live in any City they want during the offseason, you would hope if there was less of a desire to "live" in Green Bay, a smart player would see it as an opportunity to live in a less distractive environment while working and the ability to "vacation" anywhere he chooses during the other months. Now the players that have a wife and/or kids, those might be the ones looking at Green Bay and comparing it to other communities, to see which fits their particular family the best. While some players have gotten into a bit of trouble in Brown County, seems to me that the ones who do get into trouble, usually find it elsewhere.

I would reason that evaluating the pluses and minuses of any of the 32 cities is something a FA might look at as a factor in making their decisions, but there are probably many other factors that might weigh heavier in their final decisions.
Lol, when referring to "smart players" and opportunity for less distractive environment, I think you're targetting a very tiny fraction of the free agent pool. That type of wisdom is not very common imo, in that particular demographic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't doubt that there have been times when FA players have chosen another team/city over the Packers/Green Bay, due to them not wanting to live in Green Bay. However, I am also pretty confident that there isn't a team/City in the NFL, that hasn't had its nose turned up at by a FA at some point due to the same reason or a number of others such as; mindset of organization, coaching staff, opportunity to start, to win, teammates, etc.

The Packers may have a tough time pitching living in Green Bay to some, but there are many other factors for a player to consider, before making his decision. This might also be why the Packers seem to sign the older vet FA's, these guys have been around long enough to not only know that Green Bay is a great landing spot, but they have already "sowed their oats" in the earlier stages of their careers.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers overpaying to sign free agents who don't want to live in the smallest city in the league would be a terrible way to run the team.
i'm talking about now in this "back 9" time in Rodgers career. i'm not saying for every FA either...just the one or two they deem a difference maker. a million here, a million there wouldn't be a big deal. they can fix it later when Rodgers is gone. goodness knows they'll have a decade or more to do it.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like bringing squeaky fresh cheese curds and lake Superior smoked salmon to the player negotiations, could seal some deals...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll echo many of the same sentiments. I doubt that living in GB is high on the list of many young players in the NFL. Heck, its probably not high on the list of many young people period. I also think that there are many other factors that go into deciding where a FA signs and I don't think any particular city is major among them. I would guess money and a chance to win a ring would be 1 and 2 with the chance to play for a certain coach or with a particular player maybe even coming in ahead of the city. Milwaukee isn't that far away and most players lives are pretty full especially once camp starts that outside entertainment probably isn't a big factor at that point. In the off season perhaps more so but as was pointed out that doesn't mean they have to live here year round.

On point that I think is often overstated by Packer fans is that players would love to play for an organization with the history of the Green Bay Packers. I wonder how many of today's football players are even more than casually aware of the history of the game much less a particular team. I'd like to see a test based on the history of the league, I'll bet fans would score much higher than the players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder how many of today's football players are even more than casually aware of the history of the game much less a particular team. I'd like to see a test based on the history of the league, I'll bet fans would score much higher than the players.

Well the silver lining to that, the young players today have grown up during some pretty successful years for the Packers and probably view the Packers as a winning franchise. The guys who grew up watching the Packers struggle from the early 70's to the mid 90's may have viewed Green Bay as not only an undesirable City to live in, but a team that was mired in some pretty bad football for over 20 years.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have heard this song and dance before. I was listening to Mike and Mike in the am and Damien Woody et al and the gist of the conversation stated that the reason why Rodgers hasn't gotten farther in the playoffs lies with many different factors including Green Bay not being a desirable place to go and live for players in the NFL. Uh oh - this is old hat, before Reggie White came along, the exact same facts were common to be heard. Thoughts?

That there is the problem. Yet at the same time in case they forgot, Randy Moss himself discussed coming to Green Bay over any place in Florida and wanted out of Cali. Well ok, it was back when Oakland was bad but still I just don't buy these crazy stories.

A better question might be what's happening to the die-hard fans that should be crowding out visiting opposing fans and turning big L into a loud house? That, is what I'd like to know.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol now there's a shocker. I would consider Green Bay a better place to live than New England but winning means a lot
NE's a proven winner, but you have to think you've got a good chance to win if you come to Green Bay, especially if you're a difference maker.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't doubt that there have been times when FA players have chosen another team/city over the Packers/Green Bay, due to them not wanting to live in Green Bay. However, I am also pretty confident that there isn't a team/City in the NFL, that hasn't had its nose turned up at by a FA at some point due to the same reason or a number of others such as; mindset of organization, coaching staff, opportunity to start, to win, teammates, etc.

The Packers may have a tough time pitching living in Green Bay to some, but there are many other factors for a player to consider, before making his decision. This might also be why the Packers seem to sign the older vet FA's, these guys have been around long enough to not only know that Green Bay is a great landing spot, but they have already "sowed their oats" in the earlier stages of their careers.

Yeah, it would be extreme to say that nobody wants to be in Green Bay. The winning culture, continuity, and elite QB surely attract some. And to an extent, the location is a positive in that it may filter out those players who are just looking for a party scene.

That said, there's no doubt the the location is a minus and not a plus for most guys. But obviously location is going to be a bigger or smaller factor for each individual. Some guys will lend it a ton of importance, while others won't care so much.

But I do believe that geography plays a role in GB being very quiet on the open market. I think that they're always going to have to be more judicious in free agency than your average team. That doesn't mean that TT's typical, "no FA" off-season is the answer. But they probably shouldn't ever be big time spenders, lest they end up having to pay a "location tax" like we see pretty often in Buffalo. And that's honestly fine by me-- free agency should be supplemental and nothing more.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the silver lining to that, the young players today have grown up during some pretty successful years for the Packers and probably view the Packers as a winning franchise. The guys who grew up watching the Packers struggle from the early 70's to the mid 90's may have viewed Green Bay as not only an undesirable City to live in, but a team that was mired in some pretty bad football for over 20 years.

Most definitely. If winning a ring is of foremost importance I think Green Bay has to be a top 5 choice. At least we got that monkey off our backs.

If by New England you mean Boston then I agree but I am guessing that if the atmosphere of a place like Green Bay is appealing to a player they could find someplace similar within a reasonable distance of almost any major city. I'm not familiar with the locations of the stadiums within their namesake cities but I'm guessing that for many of them an hours drive would put you in some pretty relaxed communities if that is what a player wants. As for winning meaning a lot see my reply to Poker above. New England is probably the name that pops to most peoples minds when they think ring (and rightly so) but there are other NFL teams that offer very good chances as well and GB is among them.

NE's a proven winner, but you have to think you've got a good chance to win if you come to Green Bay, especially if you're a difference maker.

Exactly and doubly so for a difference maker with a ton of confidence in his abilities to elevate any team he is on.. You put a JJ Watt type player on Green Bays defense and they suddenly become the NFC favorite in a heck of a lot more people's books than before and there are plenty that have them there already.

Bottom line, while living in GB may not appeal to many young players I don't think its a major deciding factor. Players may complain about nothing to do in GB but I doubt may FAs who leave there would cite that as the major factor for them leaving. I'm guessing that would be money.

D

Deleted member 6794

i'm talking about now in this "back 9" time in Rodgers career.

Rodgers mentioning being in the back nine of his career suggests that he plans on playing several more seasons. Therefore it's too early to go all-in in free agency.

A better question might be what's happening to the die-hard fans that should be crowding out visiting opposing fans and turning big L into a loud house? That, is what I'd like to know.

Unfortunately the internet has made it way easier to make a profit by selling tickets on the secondary market.

But I do believe that geography plays a role in GB being very quiet on the open market.

In my opinion that's a lame excuse used by fans wanting to give Thompson a free pass for not being more active in free agency.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like bringing squeaky fresh cheese curds and lake Superior smoked salmon to the player negotiations, could seal some deals...
I agree brother! World class small mouth and walleye fishing in Green Bay! Pretty good hunting! And someone said something about cheese curds? C'mon man!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rodgers mentioning being in the back nine of his career suggests that he plans on playing several more seasons. Therefore it's too early to go all-in in free agency.

Unfortunately the internet has made it way easier to make a profit by selling tickets on the secondary market.

In my opinion that's a lame excuse used by fans wanting to give Thompson a free pass for not being more active in free agency.

That's a really stupid thing to say given that I've said multiple times in this thread that I'd prefer the current front office would use FA more heavily and that this isn't a reason why they just can't sign guys.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of the 6-8 games i've gone to at Lambeau there were hardly any opposing fans...not that could be very noticeable on a touchdown anyway. but hey, Lambeau is a bucket-list location. the cities rep for being welcoming and polite to opposing fans is well known. that's a good thing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of the 6-8 games i've gone to at Lambeau there were hardly any opposing fans...not that could be very noticeable on a touchdown anyway. but hey, Lambeau is a bucket-list location. the cities rep for being welcoming and polite to opposing fans is well known. that's a good thing.
The game I went to last year, there was a large and very vocal contigent of New York Giants fans that got on my nerves. I understand that their fans travel well though.

Members online

Latest posts