Green Bay noted as not a place to go for players

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that for the majority of free agents, it's simply show me the money. GB thankfully doesn't overpay for free agents (except their own on occasion).

D

Deleted member 6794

That's a really stupid thing to say given that I've said multiple times in this thread that I'd prefer the current front office would use FA more heavily and that this isn't a reason why they just can't sign guys.

I'm well aware that you want Thompson to use free agency more often and therefore wasn't talking about you in my previous post.

3 or 4 years maybe. it's the perfect time to go all-in. Rodgers' hints aren't to be taken lightly.

I fully expect Rodgers to play longer than for another three or four years.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a 25 year old player is considering where to play and the financial offers are the same, young guys certainly do think about the intangibles. Green Bay probably appeals to someone that likes to hunt and fish more than someone that likes to go clubbing. While I don't think the environment is a big deterrent, I'm sure that it does factor into some of the decisions that are made by free agents.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a 25 year old player is considering where to play and the financial offers are the same, young guys certainly do think about the intangibles. Green Bay probably appeals to someone that likes to hunt and fish more than someone that likes to go clubbing. While I don't think the environment is a big deterrent, I'm sure that it does factor into some of the decisions that are made by free agents.

Guys really shouldn't be out clubbing during the season and players can live wherever when season is over.

Any really dedicated player shouldn't care about the nightlife.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that it likely does factor into some guys' decision though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys really shouldn't be out clubbing during the season and players can live wherever when season is over.

Any really dedicated player shouldn't care about the nightlife.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that it likely does factor into some guys' decision though.
If in-season clubbing is that important to them, they need to sign on with the Giants, Jets or Dolphins. Those kind of guys are definitely not the type you want in Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If in-season clubbing is that important to them, they need to sign on with the Giants, Jets or Dolphins. Those kind of guys are definitely not the type you want in Green Bay.

Exactly! I mean why leave a happening City like New York in the middle of the playoffs?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that for the majority of free agents, it's simply show me the money. GB thankfully doesn't overpay for free agents (except their own on occasion).

I've seen this talked about and more and more teams are shying away from free agency. However, at some point the pendulum will swing the other way and free agents will begin to be undervalued; e.g., if steak is too expensive at the store and nobody buys it, eventually the price falls until it's worth buying. At some point free agents will be undervalued, something it appears the Pats have begun to work with, helping them win a couple Super Bowls.

Please, don't take the above as a shot at TT. It's more like a thought exercise about value being in the area that other teams don't like and, as more teams emphasize draft and develop, free agents might start to become more valuable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've seen this talked about and more and more teams are shying away from free agency. However, at some point the pendulum will swing the other way and free agents will begin to be undervalued; e.g., if steak is too expensive at the store and nobody buys it, eventually the price falls until it's worth buying. At some point free agents will be undervalued, something it appears the Pats have begun to work with, helping them win a couple Super Bowls.

Please, don't take the above as a shot at TT. It's more like a thought exercise about value being in the area that other teams don't like and, as more teams emphasize draft and develop, free agents might start to become more valuable.

I believe a lot desperate teams still hugely overpay to sign free agents.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I believe a lot desperate teams still hugely overpay to sign free agents.

That is one aspect that the Packers have been pretty good at, not getting stung on a big Free Agent signing. I would rank the worst in Packer history as Joe Johnson, who Sherman signed for big bucks in 2002. Otherwise, most of the FA failures have been relatively cheap guys who just didn't work out in GB (Roman, Klemm, Terrell, O'Dwyer, Hargrove, Merling, Preston etc.)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Good post.

I kind of agree in theory. I also think it may result in more guys re-signing with their current team instead of going free agent.

Why do you think more teams are shying away from free agency at the same time that the Packers are dipping heavily into the free agent pool?

Reaction score
I wonder if GB is considered a retreat to some potential players and even more so to their agents or mentors, at least the ones who have some common sense about what's at stake in the monetary sense. The average NFL career is short lived and the money well goes dry pretty quick. GB is a place you can play ball for a few years without all the distractions and focus on maximizing that short-lived career.
So many players get themselves into trouble in bigger cities where the fast paced party lifestyle can be destructive to their NFL career.
I know that might not realistically be the mindset of "most" young athletes considering GB as a place to live, but it should be. How many times have we all seen players living in the fast lane crash and burn? GB is just an old farm road compared to the Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Houston Expressways to 24-7 trouble.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To many young players, and especially to their agents ( which only make a percentage on whatever they can get for their clients) money is important. This includes perceived endorsements and tv or radio exposure.

In addition, nightlife (exposure to babes) also comes into play for many. Guys like Favre and Watt, loving the outdoor life, are closer to the exception than the rule with young pro athletes. Many grew up seeing bling on older guys, and want that too. Few want to be on the "farm road" in their 20's. Some do, but fame, glory and the almighty dollar go a lot farther.

Many now have their "crew" and family hangers on. Everyone associated wants to feel the love. Agents too. So in many cases it will come down to wherever the most money is. Not always, but if you were a great player, potential All Star, would you rather be in northeastern Wisconsin or NYC, LA, Chicago or any other city with a population in the millions? Ads galore to pay you and tv and radio hosts giving you FaceTime every week to millions.

At least until you had a few years under your belt and wanted a Super Bowl to cement your legacy. Ala Peppers, maybe Bennett, a few guys like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

ok...so let's say he plays 6. his skills are better now than they will be then. "strike while the iron's hot" etc.

I guess Rodgers is planning on playing into his 40s. It's possible the Packers going all-in now results in the team falling short as well but possibly would create issues with the salary cap limiting the team's ability to compete for a Super Bowl further down the road.

Why do you think more teams are shying away from free agency at the same time that the Packers are dipping heavily into the free agent pool?

Please enlighten me about how Thompson is ahead of the curve once again. :rolleyes:

So many players get themselves into trouble in bigger cities where the fast paced party lifestyle can be destructive to their NFL career.

Unfortunately Packers players and coaches have been able to get in trouble either in Green Bay or away from Wisconsin in recent years.

To many young players, and especially to their agents ( which only make a percentage on whatever they can get for their clients) money is important. This includes perceived endorsements and tv or radio exposure.

In addition, nightlife (exposure to babes) also comes into play for many. Guys like Favre and Watt, loving the outdoor life, are closer to the exception than the rule with young pro athletes. Many grew up seeing bling on older guys, and want that too. Few want to be on the "farm road" in their 20's. Some do, but fame, glory and the almighty dollar go a lot farther.

Many now have their "crew" and family hangers on. Everyone associated wants to feel the love. Agents too. So in many cases it will come down to wherever the most money is. Not always, but if you were a great player, potential All Star, would you rather be in northeastern Wisconsin or NYC, LA, Chicago or any other city with a population in the millions? Ads galore to pay you and tv and radio hosts giving you FaceTime every week to millions.

At least until you had a few years under your belt and wanted a Super Bowl to cement your legacy. Ala Peppers, maybe Bennett, a few guys like that.

Teams definitely have to be smart about using free agency. I definitely prefer the Packers to sign free agents that are focused on football and at least during the season don't care about nightlife that much.

Thinking about it Green Bay's location might even be advantageous to the Packers only drawing interest fron free agents wanting to win.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay is a great destination for the small town/farm kid types like Kampmann, Timmerman, Tauscher. It's a good fit and comfortable for them.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as income tax is concerned, tax is paid to the state where games are played. So, with 8 at home and 6 others in the division, a weighted divisional composite tax is more relevant.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rodgers is planning on playing into his 40s. It's possible the Packers going all-in now results in the team falling short as well but possibly would create issues with the salary cap limiting the team's ability to compete for a Super Bowl further down the road.
won't matter when he's gone and nuclear winter sets in.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as income tax is concerned, tax is paid to the state where games are played. So, with 8 at home and 6 others in the division, a weighted divisional composite tax is more relevant.
That would be 11 out of 16. Only one each in Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis.

D

Deleted member 6794

won't matter when he's gone and nuclear winter sets in.

The Packers definitely should go all-in with Rodgers being close to retiring. With him planning to play for several more seasons it's too early to risk running into salary cap issues.

What did you not understand about my question?

I didn't take your post as a question but another attempt to indicate Thompson is somehow ahead of the curve.

Members online

Latest posts