Grass isn't always greener...(**MS thread**)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach approval rating
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnat ... =2&week=10

I know these polls hold almost no water, but...

There was some talk on this board about how great Reid was earlier this year, but now Philly fans don't think much of him, and he was being blasted on ESPN for not running the ball at the end of the game last night.

I'm just trying to point out that when you step out of GB, you realize other coaches make mistakes too, and other fans aren't happy w/ them as well.

Not to say MS hasn't made his fair share, but he's not the only one. Also note Belichek isn't at the top, but he was considered one of the best ever after last year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grass isn't always greener...(be warned, this relat

musccy...I've been saying this for years. Thanks for the article. Fans are Fickle and most hometown fans want to blame the coach after a loss. Philly blasts Reid every time they choke in the playoffs.

Reid's gametime coaching sucks but I don't believe the play he called went like this..."Donavan...we're gonna throw the ball. I want you to stare down the wideout and then when #31 in white comes up, throw the ball right to him....make sure you lead him perfectly and hit him right in the hands so he doesn't even have to break stride on his way to the endzone.......BTW act like you are hurt after the play so the fans don't turn on us". Sometimes players have to make plays. If McNabb makes the right read and pulls it down and takes off, it wouldn't have been a bad call. If the wideout is open for the first down ESPN would be saying it was a gutsy call.

So goes life as an NFL headcoach. Vermeil last week and Gruden this week are being called geniuses but if their players didn't execute those plays the fans would be calling for their heads.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was going to let the SherRossley comments rest at the behest of a few posters here...until the end of the season..

but to these SherRossley "rationalizing" posts..i must reply...

So DePack..."Reid's gametime coaching sucks.." but SherRossley's is pure brilliance?

How do you justify this belief...???

and there is a huge difference between "players not executing"...and not having a legitimate game strategy (or any strategy at all), or not being able to adjust to another team during a football game--and this is exactly the problem with SherRossley....

also "making smart gametime decisions" during a football game is a huge part of being a good head coach...and in this, SherRossley falls waayyy short of the mark....

(Do you know that during the Eagles game...Sherman tried to call two consecutive time outs in a row (which is against the rules), and was pissed when the refs wouldn't grant them to him?)

Does this sound like a guy who knows what he is doing?

SherRossley has a handful of plays and packages that they use over and over and over again...for the last five years....every team in the nfl has the Pack figured out because there is no variation....

thankfully Favre has tipped the balance...in previous years...but he doesn't have the talent around him to do it anymore....

These are the problems that I have with SherRossley....

You can blame everything on the players not executing but that's just bullsh***!

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66

The point of the post was to illustrate that, well, just as the title said, grass isn't greener.

You think MS makes horrible game time decisions and is uncreative. OK, fine, but I've also heard you applaud Andy Reid for the same things, however, he (as of ~2 weeks ago) was passing 77% of the time with an injured quarterback, and then yesterday was blasted for not running out the clock at the end of the game. If MS did this, I would imagine that you, and others would be critical of him, and justifiably so.

If you disect every play MS has called, no doubt you will find situations where he was a moron, situations where it was a 50:50 decision, and good decisions on his part...just as is the case w/ any other coach in the NFL. At times you raise valid points, but I think you focus too much on the negative and overlook some of the good decisions he makes, or don't realize how often others make the exact same mistakes that MS is criticized for.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 you don't have to let it rest. I like your misguided passion...just kidding. I watch every play of every eagle game. Andy Reid is a brutal "gameday coach". I think he prepares his team well. He is lousy making adjustments and is always outsmarting himself. Ask anyone that watches him week in and week out.

I never said Sherman OR Rossley were "pure brilliance". In fact...I don't think anyone has ever said that. Go back and reread my post...Neither Sherman nor Rossley are even mentioned. Only you, my friend have used the words "pure brilliance" when referring to these two gentlemen.

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches get too much credit when the team is winning and too much blame when the team loses. All in all I think Sherman has done a good job with the players he's had available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts