Grading previous drafts

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The article is behind a paywall so I'll just highlight a few comments.

...The writers loved this draft and gave the Packers a composite grade of 3.33, which ranked seventh in the league.
The player everyone raved about the most was <Datone> Jones.
“Best pick in the NFC North,” NFL.com said.
“Jones is a relentless, potentially special inside rusher,” Yahoo! Sports said.
“Well worth the 26th choice,” the Washington Post said.
Bakhtiari, whom one analyst said might wind up at guard, is the prize of that draft.
The composite grade, once again, was good. It was 3.57 and ranked sixth.
“I love the pick of safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round to bring range to the secondary,” CBS Sports' analyst said.
“He's a great fit in Dom Capers' 3-4 and will man the safety position like a general,” Fox Sports said.
NFL.com said this about the draft: “The Packers also get one of the most reliable wideouts in the draft with Abbrederis. Outside linebacker Carl Bradford and cornerback Demetri Goodson will upgrade the defense with their collective speed and athleticism.”
The experts liked this draft.
The composite grade was 2.84, which ranked 16th. Sports Illustrated gave it a B-plus.
Not a single player in that draft is on the team.
... Clark was considered a solid pick at No. 27, but it was Spriggs who drew the raves.
“Spriggs is a move athlete with all kinds of agility and All-Pro potential as soon as he gets his play strength together,” SI said.
“Second-round pick Jason Spriggs is an impressive tackle with a ton of athletic ability. He fits in with exactly what the Packers want from their lineman,” CBS Sports said. ...
The draft received a composite grade of 3.01, good for 15th. Only Clark and Lowry remain on the roster four years later.
Thompson hit a home run, according to several experts.
“Thompson stayed put and got the difference-making cornerback he needed in Kevin King. Then they selected safety Josh Jones, who will play in the Micah Hyde role for the Packers. Adams is a big help, as he can play nose tackle or five-technique. He's an excellent value at No. 93,” said NFL.com, which gave the Packers an overall grade of B-plus.
“Williams could be the steal here. He has a nice combination of size and speed, and he’s an upgrade to what the team had at the position last year,” CBS Sports said.
Hardly anyone made mention of fifth-round running back Aaron Jones, who has 32 touchdowns in three years, including 19 last season. One publication graded the selection of Jones as a C.
Josh Jones was cut after two seasons, King has played only 30 games in three years, Adams is headed for bust territory and Biegel was let go after one season.
The composite grade was 3.0, which ranked 15th.

In summary: Trying to grade a draft before the first rookie camp is a fool's game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

In summary: Trying to grade a draft before the first rookie camp is a fool's game.

Facts?

Please we don't need no stinking facts

Maybe we dig up posters analysis of previous deaths? Oops..drafts

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

truth be told, i've played dumber games :)

i know most of you wouldn't even believe that, but it's true.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy crap..only 2 posts and it's off topic
you mention fool and game, pretty much anything say IS the topic at that point :)

But i'll do better

I did like Datone, he SHOULD have been really good. Physically he had it, drive to be great? I think it was lacking.

2014 I didn't really like Ha Ha, then he made me like him more though I felt slightly overrated, then my initial assesment became reality. I did like Adams and Thorton and of course wanted to see Abbrederis take off but that's the homer in me.

I liked a lot of the 2015 draft :) other than Jake Ryan, didn't think he was anything special. Randall had 1st class talent and below bush league mentality.

I did love the Clark pick. There's a 200 post thread on FB with one of my high school classmates on that. He loved Myles Jack, I was happy we took Clark.

'17 I thought about what everyone else did.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People act like they should have a good idea during the scouting process if a player will suceed or not. But every pick has some level of risk associated with it. None of these guys are a sure thing, some may have everything you want, and then get injured and never make it.

I like that Spriggs pick was applauded and Clark was just okay. Which was my response at the time as well. Nobody knew that Clark would work his butt off and physically continued to develop. Spriggs didn't work as hard. My knock on Spriggs was he didn't play with the necessary competitiveness. I learned that was something that should be a deal breaker in the eval process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People act like they should have a good idea during the scouting process if a player will suceed or not. But every pick has some level of risk associated with it. None of these guys are a sure thing, some may have everything you want, and then get injured and never make it.

I like that Spriggs pick was applauded and Clark was just okay. Which was my response at the time as well. Nobody knew that Clark would work his butt off and physically continued to develop. Spriggs didn't work as hard. My knock on Spriggs was he didn't play with the necessary competitiveness. I learned that was something that should be a deal breaker in the eval process.
I think Spriggs suffered from Datone syndrome too. He definitely had the tools physically and at times he really did look the part. Then he'd look like was barely standing out there and get blow by and get the QB blown up a few plays a game, sometimes in rapid succession. I can only hope that continues while in Chicago.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
THIS is the front office we should emulate
Did you know? The Bills have made four picks in the first round of the NFL draft since the start of the Sean McDermott/Brandon Beane era in 2017. Three of them -- White, Allen and Edmunds -- have been selected to at least one Pro Bowl. The team traded its first-round pick in 2020 for Diggs, who also made the Pro Bowl this year. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THIS is the front office we should emulate

In that same period we have drafted:

17' didn't have a pick.
18' Jaire Alexander - no logical person can complain
19' Rashan Gary - easily illustrating this year why we picked him
19' Darnell Savage - Nearly an instant out the gate starter and surefire locked at it now.
20' Love

Bills didn't have a 2020 draftee...and grossly too early to really grade any class not 3 years old IMO...but alas whatever.

Ed Oliver their 2019 pick, like Gary really didn't become a starter till this year full time and is having an okay season. Kingsley Keke grades via PFF at 75.2 while Oliver is less than 46.0 for what its worth and is a fellow 2019 classmate of the draft to Oliver.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
2019 NFL Packers Draft- Gutes first draft. An absolute hit. Especially when comparing 2018 draft to 2019 draft. Get excited pack fans, if the 2019 draft has any future implications, its that Gute and his team know what the hell they are doing. Maybe Jordan Love IS the QB of the future...

1(12)- Rashan Gary. I will be the first to admit, I hated this pick. I was on the Brian Burns bandwagon all along. Turns out the Packers knew what they were doing all along. Selected a developmental player that would sit behind two great veterans leaders and progress. While Montez Sweat and Brian Burns have had good careers, the improvements I have seen in Gary from 2019 to 2020 is significant. He gets better every game. A-

1(21)- Darnell Savage. Ace of a pick. Another player that gets better each week. Love this kid. A+

2(44)- Elgton Jenkins. Best guard in the 2019 draft. Another ACE. A++

3(75)- Jace Sternberger. Have seen progression in his blocking, but has not seen many looks. Has made most of what he has been given as a pass catcher. Maybe injuries have plagued him? I do see value in Jace, but cannot grade him particularly high. B-

5(150)- Keke Kingsley. What a player. Did not expect to see him at all in 2019 and did not expect to see him progress in 2020. Kid is fun to watch, I cannot wait to see the big play he makes in playoffs. A

6(185)- Kadar Hollman. I keep expecting to see him shine as the notes from camp and practice are always so high. Simply have not seen him on the field enough, but what do you really expect out of a 6th round CB? C

6(194)- Dexter Williams. I was looking forward to Williams. Thinking there was a diamond here. Not at all. Has made nothing out of the opportunities he was given. If only they went with Myles Gaskin instead. F

7(226) Ty Summers. 7th rounder that played decent when given the opportunities. Have seen him make some plays on special teams, and that is really all you can ask out of a 7th rounder. B.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2019 Draft was solid in its first year just in Jenkins and Savage...2020 it is excelling with Keke and Gary joining the production....toss in contributions of Kadar and Summers and I mean seriously folks one cannot expect much more from a draft class as a whole period. Let alone so incredibly fast.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The 2019 Draft was solid in its first year just in Jenkins and Savage...2020 it is excelling with Keke and Gary joining the production....toss in contributions of Kadar and Summers and I mean seriously folks one cannot expect much more from a draft class as a whole period. Let alone so incredibly fast.
I am real excited for Josiah Degura and Vernon Scott in 2021 as well. Those were two players we have not seen much of (due to injury/depth chart) but what I have seen has been good. Hope Degura recovers well (him and I had ACL surgery within a week of each other) and we get to see Scott a bit more this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am real excited for Josiah Degura and Vernon Scott in 2021 as well. Those were two players we have not seen much of (due to injury/depth chart) but what I have seen has been good. Hope Degura recovers well (him and I had ACL surgery within a week of each other) and we get to see Scott a bit more this season.

Scott is a ballhawk, I was excited when he was nabbed late...small school but big play guy. Didn't expect much till 2021, but he has done well when presented a chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts