Grade this draft

What grade do you give this draft?

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's odd, he's been 89 everywhere he goes... and James Jones previously wore that # but is a FA now. He was #84 with South Carolina... wondering if he's negotiating with Abby? :tdown:

I'd hold off any negotiations with Abby... ;)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hold off any negotiations with Abby... ;)
Abby should stick around thru TC, and Cook can't take the field without a number. Options are limited to: 10-19 (excl. 14 & 15), 40-49, or 80-89. I'm pretty sure the Packers aren't "reserving" #89 for anyone formerly on the roster (Dave Robinson, Mark Lewis, Mark Chmura, Robert Ferguson... oh yeah, or James Jones).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook could just tell Abby...give it to me now before they take it from you later bahahaha! (don't get me wrong I like Abby...but we ain't gots the room for the kid!)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be a crowded WR field for sure. Guys are going to have to play well, or they'll be passed over. As it is, I think Jordy, Cobb, Monty are locks. If Adams has taken care of his drops, I'd say he's a lock. I would say Janis has his foot in the door just thru special teams play alone. This appears to leave Abby and everyone else fighting for a position.

That said, can the new guy from the 5th become our return man? Can a few other of these guys make it thru blockers and down the field as gunners too? I doubt any would be as fast as Janis, but it's a possibility. New punter, good gunners and if Janis still can't learn an NFL play book, maybe he's out? I doubt he's going to be cut, why am I even talking about it? nothing else to say this time of year I guess.

I think it's more likely we don't keep as many FB's or TE's or some other position, to keep another WR if they all earn a spot, they'll make room for 1 extra.7

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you told me I had to place a bet, I'd be fairly certain of betting serious cash that Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Monty are gonna be on the roster. I'd feel very confident in Janis as well, as he is a ST beast and showed flashes of potential in one game last year.

It is the 6th spot which is where the battle is at. Despite all the UDFAs (battling for PS really) it is gonna be Abby vs Davis. I think Davis gets the nod as Monty is a slot, Cobb is better out the slot and Cook (TE) will split out some as well....making Davis top end burn speed much more valuable to the team than Abby.

Abby is a grit player and will be around the league though even if not in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think there is much doubt that the only reason Janis is even in the conversation is because of the job that he did as a gunner in the last half of the 2015 season. Without that, he would be a long shot to make the team. He showed a few flashes of being a decent kick returner early, but nothing much more after that. I think we all know the book on him at WR to this point in his career. So if he is to get an active roster spot each week, I hope the Packers find other ways to continue to use him on special teams. Maybe try him returning punts? I once liked Micah Hyde in that role, but he didn't impress me much last year. What would be an added bonus, is Janis becoming a good WR, but not holding my breath on that one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stop teasing me like this, you saying the Packers are keeping #89 open.....to bring James Jones back? :geek:

I think you´re reading too much into it once again. ;)

That said, can the new guy from the 5th become our return man?

With Montgomery hopefully returning fully healthy I don´t feel the need to take him off kickoff returns. On the other hand I wouldn´t mind trying someone else than Hyde on punt returns but Davis has little experience doing it coming out of college.

I don't think there is much doubt that the only reason Janis is even in the conversation is because of the job that he did as a gunner in the last half of the 2015 season. Without that, he would be a long shot to make the team. He showed a few flashes of being a decent kick returner early, but nothing much more after that. I think we all know the book on him at WR to this point in his career. So if he is to get an active roster spot each week, I hope the Packers find other ways to continue to use him on special teams. Maybe try him returning punts? I once liked Micah Hyde in that role, but he didn't impress me much last year. What would be an added bonus, is Janis becoming a good WR, but not holding my breath on that one.

I´ve been extremely critical of Janis as a receiver in the past but while I´m well aware of the fact that it´s only one game a lot of people seem to have forgotten about his performance in the playoffs at Arizona. I´m optimistic he will be able to build on it.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm a bit more optimistic in the sense that I think this training camp will be big for Janis in terms of seeing if he will finally figure it out as a receiver. When he was drafted everyone knew he was going to be a project, and so personally I always had the expectation that it was going to be a patient process to see if he was going to "figure it out" as a receiver. His seeming lack of progress in his development as a wideout going into year 2 definitely left a lot of apprehension for everyone including myself though.

My hope is that the game against Arizona was a turning point for him, a game that proved to himself that he had what it takes to be a good receiver in this league if he puts in the work this offseason. That being said, I do kind of feel like the Trevor Davis pick was used as a way to kind of push Janis a bit, though Davis is definitely a project himself.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve been extremely critical of Janis as a receiver in the past but while I´m well aware of the fact that it´s only one game a lot of people seem to have forgotten about his performance in the playoffs at Arizona. I´m optimistic he will be able to build on it.

I remember the game, and hopefully he does build off of it. When I think of that game however part of me does remember the performance WR Chris Matthews (on the Seahawks) against the Patriots two years ago, only to fall back into obscurity and get cut by midway the following season. Hopefully Janis doesn't have a similar trajectory.

D

Deleted member 6794

That being said, I do kind of feel like the Trevor Davis pick was used as a way to kind of push Janis a bit, though Davis is definitely a project himself.

While Davis might have a hard time making an impact as a receiver with the Packers next season if everyone ahead of him on the depth chart stays healthy he's a far more polished WR than Janis coming out of college.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give it a B. Best additions hopefully are the d line and o line. It all starts w controlling the LOS, which we've struggled with for years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An apology if I am echoing previous sentiments.
I give it a solid B. Pretty much every roster hole was plugged with a body. I'm a bit surprised a RB was not added to the mix.

I was surprised as well...however perhaps this is them telling us Lacy truly is a new man, they have always believed in Starks and Crockett or a UDFA can plug the #3 rather capably....not too mention we look good with Cobb running out the backfield (Monty could learn this too).

I actually love the UDFA out of Nevada. Dude is a pure burner type back which neither Lacy or Starks is. Small but we don't need a 10 plays a game, maybe 4-6.

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually love the UDFA out of Nevada. Dude is a pure burner type back which neither Lacy or Starks is. Small but we don't need a 10 plays a game, maybe 4-6.

Don Jackson ran a 4.50 at Nevada´s pro day which was exact the same time Starks ran at the combine.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised a RB was not added to the mix.

That surprised me a bit as well. However, being the optimistic Packer fan that I try to be, I take that as a sign that the Packers are optimistic about Lacy, Starks and Crockett and viewed drafting a RB as unnecessary. Unlike a team like Dallas or Seattle who seemed to have way overstocked the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Jackson ran a 4.50 at Nevada´s pro day which was exact the same time Starks ran at the combine.

Well burner may be overstating his ability, but I do feel watching him he plays better and faster than his "numbers".

D

Deleted member 6794

That surprised me a bit as well. However, being the optimistic Packer fan that I try to be, I take that as a sign that the Packers are optimistic about Lacy, Starks and Crockett and viewed drafting a RB as unnecessary. Unlike a team like Dallas or Seattle who seemed to have way overstocked the position.

I think the coaching staff is confident in Crockett being able to step in if necessary. With the possibility of lining up Cobb and Montgomery in the backfield as well I was absolutely fine with not drafting a running back.

H

HardRightEdge

Whether it's 4.4 or 4.5 for Burks, it's hard not to notice the striking similarity to DuJuan Harris.

Both from Troy; both undrafted.

Both short in stature (Burks 5'9, Harris 5'7") with similar height/weight ratios (Burks 208 lbs., Harris 197 lbs.)

They have some similar and quite remarkable measurables for guys of this stature:

Vertical: Burks 37"; Harris 38 1/2"
Broad: Burks 10' 0"; Harris 10' 0"
Bench: Burks 25 reps; Harris 27 reps

The pro day 40 times and splits suggest Harris was a little faster. The shuttle and cone suggest Burks is a little quicker.

Draw your own conclusions, but Harris' name surely came up in scouting discussions.

McCarthy had considerable affinity for Harris expressed in both word and deed, installing him as the #1 RB, then he blew his knee before that happened.

If Burks in fact shows Harris-like potential, he'd be an odds-on favorite for the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jones was as much part of the problem as he was part of the attempted solution.

I don't know, I think the Packers got about as much out of Jones as they could have hoped for. Especially when you consider what they paid him and when they obtained him. Was he a true #1 wideout, did he have the blazing speed the offense needed? Heck no, but what else do you do on August 23rd, when your #1 goes down and you soon discover that your cupboard was not as fully stocked as you had planned/hoped? Maybe the Packers having to rely on Jones could be called a problem, but I would hardly call Jones himself a problem with that offense last year.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this and I don't even like saying it, but imagine the Panic in Packer Nation if Jordy were to go down again with another season ending injury? Would we look like the Packers that went 6-0 to start the season or the Packers that struggled for most of the rest of the season? Obviously, my hope is that we don't face this and if the rest of the WR's stay healthy, we would look more like the 6-0 Packers. Just a thought on a slow Packer news day. :coffee:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even sure where to post this and I don't even like saying it, but imagine the Panic in Packer Nation if Jordy were to go down again with another season ending injury?
Turning over a new leaf? I thought (post #118) that you were an optimistic Packer fan? ;) The addition of Cook to the offense and more (potential) speed outside in a more experienced Janis & new pick Trevor Davis should prevent defenses from packing the short routes IF Jordy were to have more problems.

Members online

Latest posts