Good read: '60s Packers struggle against their final foe

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...st-their-final-foe-b99400418z1-284516901.html

50 years after their golry years so many former players now suffering from dementia or alzheimer's.

Small quote part way through hammers it hard.

But at some point, while we weren't paying attention, while we were watching Don Majkowski and then Brett Favre and then Aaron Rodgers, the men who built Titletown grew old and stooped and gray. The Glory Years became the Golden Years.

"These players are held on such a high pedestal as legends," says Rick Moncher, a sports memorabilia dealer who specializes in 1960s-era Packers and has exclusive signing rights with Starr and Taylor. "They're thought of so highly that people forget they are mere mortals.

"They may have won five championships, but Father Time is undefeated."

Of the 37 men who played in at least one game on Lombardi's first team in 1959, 19 — more than half — are dead. The youngest living member of that team is 77 and the average age is 79.8.

Of the 43 men who played on Lombardi's last team in 1967, 14 are dead (33%). The average age of those still alive is 72.2.

"I was a rookie in 1964 but most of the guys who played on those first two Super Bowl teams came to the Packers in '56, '57 and '58," Long says. "I am 72 now, so most of those great players are turning 80.

"And once you get to 80, all bets are off."

Some died young. Emlen Tunnell in 1975. Henry Jordan in 1977. Travis Williams in 1991. Ron Kostelnik in 1993. Nitschke, Elijah Pitts and Lionel Aldridge, all in 1998. Max McGee died in 2007.

Just in the last four years, Packer Nation has lost Ron Kramer, Jim Temp, Jesse Whittenton, Gale Gillingham, Claudis James, Lew Carpenter, Joe Francis and Norm Masters.

"Our numbers," says Zeke Bratkowski, "are diminishing."

In 2016, the NFL will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Super Bowl I. Some of the Packers have heard rumors that the league plans to honor the '66 team in some fashion, perhaps by flying the players — and the widows of those who have died — to San Francisco for a reunion.

"It's going to be interesting," Long says, "to see how many players from our Super Bowl I team will still be alive."

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. Hope many are still healthy enough in '16.

These are the players that have made all of us Packer fans even if you watched them play via highlights.

I wish them all the best--They were my Heroes growing up and still are.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct. This is a tough read, although I did get a chuckle out of Kramer retelling the story about his phone call to Starr and his words of "encouragement." Sad to hear Fuzzy's in his final days.
I only became a fan of the Packers toward the end of the Lombardi era, but the special bond that team had resonates to this day and is still reflected in the bond Packer fans have for their team.
Regardless of the circumstances, I'm praying for a full recovery by Starr, but the selfish side of me would really like to see him take part in Favre's retirement ceremony and be joined by Rodgers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Life goes on, and in the case of these great players the memories of them will go on as well. What could be better?

Seahawker562

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its unfortunate but thats what comes with time.. But you cant be too down, you guys have Aaron freakin Rogers and one of the most underrated WR's in the league in Nelson. Future looks very bright in GB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My take-away from the story:
But pity not the Glory Years Packers. They were ordinary men who together accomplished extraordinary feats. They experienced something few others ever have, or ever will. Nearly all of them were successful after their football careers ended, in business and in life.

H

HardRightEdge

Retirement is not kind to professional athletes on multiple fronts.

According to an SI study, "by the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce." NBA players fair marginally better. MLB better yet but still dismal given the sums involved.

Further, "By common estimates among athletes and agents, the divorce rate for pro athletes ranges from 60% to 80%."

http://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke

OP
OP
Zeck180

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Retirement is not kind to professional athletes on multiple fronts.
As fans many forget that these who we see as legends are still humans and still age. A lot of them die in their late 60s-70s early 80s from many health problems and the majority are and have been memory or brain issues. In the US the average American can live to the age of 81 of course so many non-athletes are living well into their 90s and early 100s.

Behind those happy smiles we always see on tv or in pictures is suffering, pushed back into the shadows so that these people are shown to be strong still when in reality they are frail and dying.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Fuzzy Thurston signed a shirt for me and talked (haltingly through his stoma) with me for a few minutes. He is a nice guy, who has had a bad turn of things in life these past years, yet he was still smiling and gracious. A lot of these men are men whom we looked up to when we were young. Now they are men we can look up to for the determined way they are facing age. If we could all be smiling and gracious and fun when we get older, young people wouldn't fear age as much. Sorry for being preachy. I have always admired these guys even with their faults.

Members online