1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Good read: '60s Packers struggle against their final foe

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zeck180, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...st-their-final-foe-b99400418z1-284516901.html

50 years after their golry years so many former players now suffering from dementia or alzheimer's.

Small quote part way through hammers it hard.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OCBP

OCBP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +102
    Thank you for sharing. Hope many are still healthy enough in '16.

These are the players that have made all of us Packer fans even if you watched them play via highlights.

I wish them all the best--They were my Heroes growing up and still are.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
  4. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    You are correct. This is a tough read, although I did get a chuckle out of Kramer retelling the story about his phone call to Starr and his words of "encouragement." Sad to hear Fuzzy's in his final days.
    I only became a fan of the Packers toward the end of the Lombardi era, but the special bond that team had resonates to this day and is still reflected in the bond Packer fans have for their team.
    Regardless of the circumstances, I'm praying for a full recovery by Starr, but the selfish side of me would really like to see him take part in Favre's retirement ceremony and be joined by Rodgers.

5. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Life goes on, and in the case of these great players the memories of them will go on as well. What could be better?

6. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +661
    Already have a thread going.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seahawker562

Seahawker562 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Its unfortunate but thats what comes with time.. But you cant be too down, you guys have Aaron freakin Rogers and one of the most underrated WR's in the league in Nelson. Future looks very bright in GB

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    It's a Packers forum, we focus a lot on the past!

10. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    I was really
    Ah, sorry, I missed that!

11. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    My take-away from the story:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,713
    Retirement is not kind to professional athletes on multiple fronts.

According to an SI study, "by the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce." NBA players fair marginally better. MLB better yet but still dismal given the sums involved.

Further, "By common estimates among athletes and agents, the divorce rate for pro athletes ranges from 60% to 80%."

http://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    As fans many forget that these who we see as legends are still humans and still age. A lot of them die in their late 60s-70s early 80s from many health problems and the majority are and have been memory or brain issues. In the US the average American can live to the age of 81 of course so many non-athletes are living well into their 90s and early 100s.

Behind those happy smiles we always see on tv or in pictures is suffering, pushed back into the shadows so that these people are shown to be strong still when in reality they are frail and dying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,973
    Fuzzy Thurston signed a shirt for me and talked (haltingly through his stoma) with me for a few minutes. He is a nice guy, who has had a bad turn of things in life these past years, yet he was still smiling and gracious. A lot of these men are men whom we looked up to when we were young. Now they are men we can look up to for the determined way they are facing age. If we could all be smiling and gracious and fun when we get older, young people wouldn't fear age as much. Sorry for being preachy. I have always admired these guys even with their faults.

• Like Like x 2