Give Packers some time to show true selves before getting too excited

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lookee over yonder. That bandwagon is filling up fast. So, what to do — hurry up and find a spot, or wait.

Think I'll wait. At least for now.

Seems like the majority of the Milky Way loves the Packers to reach the Super Bowl this year: Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Weekly, USA Today, the cast of "Modern Family" and Lady Gaga have all tabbed the boys up the street to play in Dallas in February, as best as we can determine.

Even the Packers are in love with the Packers, based on their sudden fondness for wearing cowboy hats in a public setting and having their coach, Mike McCarthy, explain why just in case anyone was mystified.

The Packers are the flavor of the month. Kind of curious, when you think about it, because they have a defense that puts the fear of God only in anyone not named Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger — i.e., any quarterback who has skills. And their special teams are, well, bad.

No, the nation is in love with the Packers because they're in love with Aaron Rodgers. Perhaps even more than his parents.

He's the reason why much of the country is going gaga — including the Lady — over the Packers.

You should have no issue with that. Rodgers is on the fast track to NFL hierarchy and it's hard not to get excited not only about his future, but the Packers'.

But let's face it. This is a team that enters the 2010 season today in Philadelphia that is not as good as the one that departed in 2009 after that unsettling loss to Arizona in the wild-card playoff round. There is no disputing that.

You have to look no further than the defense, which will be without veterans Al Harris and Atari Bigby in the secondary, replaced by rookie Morgan Burnett at safety and Tramon Williams at cornerback.

The Packers nickel back will be an undrafted free agent rookie in Sam Shields. After that, you have the likes of Patrick Lee and Jarrett Bush in the dime and, admit it, you'd give your last dime not to see them on the field.

They needed help with their pass rush, but acquired no help. Instead, they believe they've improved by simply moving linebacker Clay Matthews to the left side, separating him from their second-best pass rusher, right defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins.

Hmmm. We'll see.

And despite its No. 2 ranking last season, they've yet to prove they can put the clamps on any quarterback who is skilled at throwing the ball. Favre, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Eli Manning are all on the dance card this season and it's impossible to say at this juncture if the Packers will be equipped to slow down any of them.

As for the special teams, they remain a reason to cover your eyes each time they take the field and have no one you could identify will help them change field position, though Tim Masthay looks to be a nice upgrade at punter.

Now here's the good news. It may not matter if the defense is suspect or the special teams cause indigestion.

This is a far different era in the NFL than way back in, say, 1996. All three phases remain important, but it's no longer necessary to be strong in all to win a Super Bowl.

Both the Saints and Colts won Super Bowls in the past five years relying mainly on offense, and that will be the Packers' calling card this season. Their defense doesn't have to be great.

With the known weapons at Rodgers' disposal, the expected breakout year from Jermichael Finley and a possible step up for James Jones, the Packers, barring significant injuries, may be on the cusp of setting all kinds of offensive records this season.

They just may be good enough to wait for their defense to come around, outscore just about everybody until then and pile up wins.

They just may be good enough to get Green Bay to a Super Bowl, and win it, no matter what.

Maybe — and maybe not. There's plenty of time to get on board. But now is not the time.

Mike Woods column: Give Packers some time to show true selves before getting too excited | postcrescent.com | Appleton Post Crescent more: Mike Woods column: Give Packers some time to show true selves before getting too excited | postcrescent.com | Appleton Post Crescent

Reaction score
Our defense looked good for the most part and our special teams looked good. The only thing that did not look good was our offense. We all know that we can throw the ball. So when we get everything working we will be dangerous. I think the reason why we did not do good throwing the ball was because MM thought it was still the preseason and he was bringing out all the deep plays. Which made our O line vulnerable to the pass rush. Which he should of did was mix it up. Couple short passes then attack them deep so on so forth. Also i think we should of passed more on first downs rather than getting in a pattern, Run, Run , Pass. One last thing that i remembered was that they hardley passed the ball when rodgers was under center. All their passes pretty much came when they were in shotgun

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a Packer fan for forty years and have watched every game I could. Even when they stunk and the fan base was hoping for a 500 type season, I followed. In the days before satelite TV for the common man, I huddled with a dozen other Packer fans in 20 degree weather in front of Pier Street Annex in Anchorage because the bartender would leave the TV on the night before for us to watch through the front window for the hour before they opened. The fact that they now have a very talented roster and can compete with any team in the NFL is just the icing on the cake. I am excited for every season and every Packer game, whether my expectations are high or not.

So you want me not to be excited this season? Nope. There are 4 or 5 teams with a great chance to win it all and the Packers are one of them. I am excited and I am going to savor every moment of this season. Even if they don't win it all, there will be dissappointment for sure, but there will be a lot of satisfaction also.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what you mean by not getting all excited, but I can't help it. If the Packers play all three phases of the game to their potential, like we have seen here or there over the course of the last season, I don't think there is a team in the NFL that the Pack can't beat. I'm sure the Packers will encounter some bumps in the road and drop a few games. All teams do. Yet I am not worried about it. Not even a little bit. The defense played very well in my opinion, given the situation. The defense racked up 5 sacks I believe, thats a good day for the pass rush. Had Vick gone out with a concussion and Kolb had to play the entire second half, the score would have been much different. Vick is one of those guys who is electrifying once he gets into the groove. He is in much better shape this year and I am sure he wants to start. I think the defense did very well considering they didn't game plan for him to be under center for an entire half. The Packer defense also held Celek and Jackson to 62 yards receiving combined. Thats a good job. The Packers also dug in and stopped the Eagles for no gain on 4th and 1 to seal the game. I know they could have played better, but I still think there is plenty to be excited about.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Sunday showed our weakest offence in a while and our defence held us to victory even when Philly threw a curve ball. I am excited this a new yeAr with a great start so far undefeated. Plus we have a throwback game which I find exciting so I am loving the season exept the jets game last night scared me

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im excited because weve seen our D dig us out of a hole rather than the usual other way around, knowing that they can do that for us is huge even though they may never need it again with how good the offense is.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the philly game wasnt pretty,but it was a win the pack like every one is saying here will have bumps in the road but as bad as they started out they mustered at the end and held the game for a win,arod will learn from his mistakes and be better for it,i'm not too worried about the jets they do have a good d-line dont get me wrong but their q.b well we all know what matthews can do that will make a huge difference and i think our o-line by then will be better,i like our chances and every year i think it a s.b year for the pack because they are getting better.:prayer:

Members online

Latest posts