Gil Brandt

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/The_Big_Show/121109_Gil_Brandt.mp3

Likes both Ted and Mike

Says Mike is vastly underrated as a q/b guru and a coach ( agree with q/b) but not as coach

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that roller coaster "effect" is what makes things so interesting.

Losing 4 of 8 and people pushing the panic button, then going on a 4 game win streak. This season has been exciting, sad, painful, awesome all in the span of 3 months. Sign me up...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, does the fact that an NFL talking head likes TT and MM somehow validate the existence of these two in Green Bay? Even though their results are a roller coaster of hi's and low's???

I don't need my opinion validated by anybody, thankfully.

Calm down Scrooge. It's just nice to hear an expert speak good things of the guys in charge, that's all.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that roller coaster "effect" is what makes things so interesting.

Losing 4 of 8 and people pushing the panic button, then going on a 4 game win streak. This season has been exciting, sad, painful, awesome all in the span of 3 months. Sign me up...

Let me get this straight: 4-12(TT only) then 8-8 then 13-3 then 6-10 and currently 8-4....now how in the Sam Hell are these grounds to not only "accept" what these two lunkheads have done but to embrace it with open arms???

I think anybody could make the following argument and it would be pretty difficult to rebut: Just about any combination of GM/Coach could have the combined record of the Two Jakes after 4-5 years of existence.

What should worry some of you people is the fact that TT is going to be losing some key players over the course of the next few seasons that he currently has no replacement for (at least acceptable) and for which he seems willing to keep it this way. In all actuality, had Tauscher not been available, Mutt-n-Jeff would be running from the fire.

I'm telling you guys from experience that this season isn't gonna end like we all want it to, which isn't the end of the world, but then what about next season? I tougher schedule and the possible retirement of Clifton/Tauscher/Harris and not sure when Woody's contract is up, but after this season, he's gonna be demanding a renog.

Homer with caution, fellas.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't like Gil Brandt very much. I will not go into details, unless asked to do so. But I take his opinions with a grain of salt...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me get this straight: 4-12(TT only) then 8-8 then 13-3 then 6-10 and currently 8-4....now how in the Sam Hell are these grounds to not only "accept" what these two lunkheads have done but to embrace it with open arms???

I think anybody could make the following argument and it would be pretty difficult to rebut: Just about any combination of GM/Coach could have the combined record of the Two Jakes after 4-5 years of existence.

What should worry some of you people is the fact that TT is going to be losing some key players over the course of the next few seasons that he currently has no replacement for (at least acceptable) and for which he seems willing to keep it this way. In all actuality, had Tauscher not been available, Mutt-n-Jeff would be running from the fire.

I'm telling you guys from experience that this season isn't gonna end like we all want it to, which isn't the end of the world, but then what about next season? I tougher schedule and the possible retirement of Clifton/Tauscher/Harris and not sure when Woody's contract is up, but after this season, he's gonna be demanding a renog.

Homer with caution, fellas.

Woodson contract is up after the 2012 season. He's not going anywhere.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like him because he's as long as I remember picking the Packers to go badly early in the season. This time, he predicted we would be out, and the Bears would go to the Super Bowl.

Also, by the time, he assured Alex Smith was the best player on that draft.

And I find it "curious" that a few years after he left the Cowboys, they won the SB, after a big hiatus... I know he was a vital part in that big trade, but IMHO he was just outdated, and still is.

I respect his past, and know that he's a Wisconsin native, but I just think his criteria in evaluating teams and players are a little outdated for him to be considered the "guru" he is. Actually, my opinion is that the real good talent evaluators aren't on TV or in sites. They're working in the NFL.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like him because he's as long as I remember picking the Packers to go badly early in the season. This time, he predicted we would be out, and the Bears would go to the Super Bowl.

Also, by the time, he assured Alex Smith was the best player on that draft.
NFL.

Well then your right, he isn't that much of a guru.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry who is Gil Brandit and what does he do?

As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.

14 years in the title game and 4 SB

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, does the fact that an NFL talking head likes TT and MM somehow validate the existence of these two in Green Bay? Even though their results are a roller coaster of hi's and low's???

I don't need my opinion validated by anybody, thankfully.

Somehow I have more confidence in what Brandt has to say than 'Haus'...... Brandt's analysis & expertise are based on ability, experience & success.......... A fan's opinion is usually based on emotion with all the flaws that goes with relying on your emotions instead of sound football knowledge .......... I go to a dentist for a root-canal not the bag-boy at the local grocer............

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow I have more confidence in what Brandt has to say than 'Haus'...... Brandt's analysis & expertise are based on ability, experience & success.......... A fan's opinion is usually based on emotion with all the flaws that goes with relying on your emotions instead of sound football knowledge .......... I go to a dentist for a root-canal not the bag-boy at the local grocer............

HAHA, Nicely put! :)

whats the score now? PACKER FANS 100, Hauschild 0!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

While I know what Haus is getting at, Gils opinion is probably more valid then anyone else on this forum..

Even with that said Haus is still right for how he views the situation

Members online

Latest posts