Future Retired Packers Numbers

D

Deleted member 6794

Several? That might be a little extreme. He's already the team leader in sacks all time.

The Packers haven't retired the number of a pass rusher yet though. I highly doubt Matthews will be the first.

Yes, but Favre did a few other things along the way (almost single-handedly bringing the team back to glory, owning every meaningful QB record when he retired, etc.).

Favre definitely was a major reason the Packers returned to glory in the 1990s but he wasn't single-handedly responsible for it though.

I have no doubts Clay and Aaron both make it into Canton.

Matthews is a long shot to even be considered for making it to Canton.

D

Deleted member 6794

75 sacks and 6 pro bowls is a long shot ?

Matthews is tied for 72nd all-time in total sacks (a statistic than only became official in 1982) at the moment with 56 players ranked ahead of him currently not in the HOF. That's definitely not good enough to make it to Canton.

I don't care about him making the Pro Bowl at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

What about Reggie ? They retired his number. I'm somewhat surprised they retired his number so quickly. How long was he with the Packers ? six seasons ?

White only played six seasons with the Packers but was dominant during his tenure registering 68.5 sacks in 95 games. On top of it you have to realize he was already 32 years old when he signed in Green Bay and had 16 sacks at age 37.

He definitely deserved his number to be retired.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the NFL would eventually have to actually do away with doing this other than honorably. Pittsburgh ran out of numbers.
Who should be honored in the ring? 5, 80, 12, 84. If Terrell Davis is in the hall, then Sterling Sharpe should be too.

Bears have fourteen retired numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

How does Ray Nitschke make the HOF if Clay doesn't ?

I wasn't able to see Nitschke play but he's widely considering one of the best and toughest linebackers of his era who happened to win five championships with the Packers.

I can't remember ever seeing any player wearing #1.

There hasn't been another player other than Lambeau to ever wear #1 for a game with the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't matter if you saw him or not. You are so good with statistics.......what are Nitschkes stats that got him into the HOF ? Don't bring up championships....that's not an individual statistic.

You have to realize that sacks and tackles weren't official statistics at the time Nitschke played. He had 25 interceptions and recovered 23 fumbles during his career though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opponents hardly double teamed Matthews last season anymore.
Between the hamstring and the shoulder, he played hurt most of last year. I am noticing a lot more double teams this year so far... However, I agree that Canton is a very big long shot for him... and retiring his number even more so.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's a big long shot that Clay would ever be in that discussion, but I just brought him up as the most likely guy asides from Rodgers.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who think Clay Mathews makes the HOF are the same people who thought LeRoy Butler had a chance. Ray Nitschke was DOMINANT at his position for a decade.... and there were those great "Take it from me "commercials ....Ray never "needed a blow" with a championship on the line.... it's ludicrous to even speak of them in the same discussion. SMH

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that all you judge him by........sacks ?
Certainly not, what I’m factoring in is the way he rountinely takes himself out of the backside of the play, how he fails to set the edge and loses contain, the unexplainable charges upfield into the offensive backfield creating a running lane that our opponents take advantage of time after time. Clay is wild and out of control. The bottom line is when the chips are down where is #52? He’s either already hurt, on the sidelines spectating due to various factors such as taking a breather, spraying water in his hair, or other mystery injuries or what have you, the all time greats you speak of and are comparing him to, step up and take the game over and make the play in those situations. That is how I’m coming to my conclusion on this topic.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, #5. Not sure what the delay is. It's basically been retired all of these years, so make it official before it's too late.

As far as #12, we need at least one more Super Bowl win before that even becomes a serious discussion. I made the trip to Canton last year and broke my own stupid rule of not wearing another man's name on my back for #4, and I'll make the same trip if there's at least one more Super Bowl win (or not, it all depends on how I feel 10 years or so from now) with #12 at the helm. Either way, it's too soon to say whether it should be retired or not.

J.A. 5 was retired, nobody wore it for close to 30 years (remember back in the day Majikowski had to change to 7), I don't know why it's back in rotation now.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

There is nobody, and I do mean nobody worthy of the honour playing now or for quite some years since Reggie White.