Future Retired Packers Numbers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Several? That might be a little extreme. He's already the team leader in sacks all time.

Clay being the leader in career sacks for the Packers really is a deceiving "title". I think the NFL started compiling sack stats in 1982 and since that time, the Packers really haven't had much in the way of "sack masters", besides Reggie White and his total career sacks aren't reflected in the "Packer career sack leaders". #92 played five seasons in Green Bay and tallied 68.5 sacks as a Packer.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'm trying hard not to give this post a red X so I decided you were being funny lol.

I promise I wouldn`t hold it against you honestly....lol Other than Bart Starr, I`m not overly familiar with, or the need to retire numbers but I`m a Brit. HOF inclusion certainly, but retiring a number ? I don`t get it. Haven`t the Cowboys got the most squad numbers retired or something ?

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that you harbor a disdain against Rodgers for some reason but that's surprising to say the least.

Clay being the leader in career sacks for the Packers really is a deceiving "title". I think the NFL started compiling sack stats in 1982 and since that time, the Packers really haven't had much in the way of "sack masters", besides Reggie White and his total career sacks aren't reflected in the "Packer career sack leaders". #92 played five seasons in Green Bay and tallied 68.5 sacks as a Packer.

The Packers list White as third in team history in total sacks. FWIW he played six seasons with the team.

I

I know that you harbor a disdain against Rodgers for some reason but that's surprising to say the least.

Capt, my disdain for #12 as you see it, and I respect your opinion on that, is based on the fact that I love the Team. While a player is wearing green and playing thier heart out for the team I support I`m fine with it. If a player messes the team around like another player we had I`m done with them.
Being totally honest and placing myself infront of the firing squad here, I find sometimes to even dare to not worship #12 is seriously frowned upon. He is without doubt an exceptional player ,I get a little tired of reading how the team is letting HIM down all the time. Sorry, but that`s how I feel.

D

Deleted member 6794

Capt, my disdain for #12 as you see it, and I respect your opinion on that, is based on the fact that I love the Team. While a player is wearing green and playing thier heart out for the team I support I`m fine with it. If a player messes the team around like another player we had I`m done with them.
Being totally honest and placing myself infront of the firing squad here, I find sometimes to even dare to not worship #12 is seriously frowned upon. He is without doubt an exceptional player ,I get a little tired of reading how the team is letting HIM down all the time. Sorry, but that`s how I feel.

I'm absolutely convinced that Rodgers is playing his heart out for the Packers. It's not his fault that beat writers or fans accuse the team of letting him down. In addition I have never read about him mentioning something about it.

I

I'm absolutely convinced that Rodgers is playing his heart out for the Packers. It's not his fault that beat writers or fans accuse the team of letting him down. In addition I have never read about him mentioning something about it.

Point taken mate, and my opinion is purely mine. I`m no less of a Packer fan for it. I still get the butterflies on game day :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers list White as third in team history in total sacks. FWIW he played six seasons with the team.

thanks for the correction, got the 5 years off of an article talking about Clay's "feat"....you are right. Reggie was a Packer for 6 seasons and 15 season in the NFL, compiling 198 sacks. Clay is in his 9th year, might take him 15 more to reach Reggie LOL.

"It was Matthews’ 75th career sack.

Former defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila had held the record with 74.5 sacks from 2000-08. Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White played five seasons in Green Bay and made 68.5 sacks as a Packer."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think this is very important to remember. If #12 was behind the scenes complaining and griping about being underpaid and "understaffed" with support players, I could see fans being rubbed the wrong way. As much as I liked #4, when he started being a lone wolf because he was "better than his teammates", he let me down a bit as a fan.

Hard to debate that the #12 IS the Packers and without him, as many of us have pointed out, this is a sub 500 team. If I were in AR's shoes, I might be secretly crumbling that the Packers FO has failed him in some ways.

I

I think this is very important to remember. If #12 was behind the scenes complaining and griping about being underpaid and "understaffed" with support players, I could see fans being rubbed the wrong way. As much as I liked #4, when he started being a lone wolf because he was "better than his teammates", he let me down a bit as a fan.

Hard to debate that the #12 IS the Packers and without him, as many of us have pointed out, this is a sub 500 team. If I were in AR's shoes, I might be secretly crumbling that the Packers FO has failed him in some ways.

I seriously don`t hate the guy, I need to make that point, I just don`t blindly think he`s quite the Son of God just yet. Each to his own guys.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I promise I wouldn`t hold it against you honestly....lol Other than Bart Starr, I`m not overly familiar with, or the need to retire numbers but I`m a Brit. HOF inclusion certainly, but retiring a number ? I don`t get it. Haven`t the Cowboys got the most squad numbers retired or something ?
I agree that retiring a number is a big step and frankly I wouldn't care if they didn't retire Rodgers' or any other players number. I was a little surprised though when you compared him unfavorably to Reggie. I was a huge Reggie White fan, and think he was a tremendous asset during his 6 years in Green Bay, but don't think his contribution trumps Aaron Rodgers. Reggie played on a great defense with other great players (although he was the biggest star on that defense). On the other side of the ball he had Brett Favre on the same team. I think both of them benefitted by having the other. Aaron Rodgers has played with some good players, but I would say none of them as big as Reggie or Favre.
Again, I'm not trying to diminish Reggie White, but I think at this point Aaron Rodgers has done more than enough to be considered his equal.

I

I agree that retiring a number is a big step and frankly I wouldn't care if they didn't retire Rodgers' or any other players number. I was a little surprised though when you compared him unfavorably to Reggie. I was a huge Reggie White fan, and think he was a tremendous asset during his 6 years in Green Bay, but don't think his contribution trumps Aaron Rodgers. Reggie played on a great defense with other great players (although he was the biggest star on that defense). On the other side of the ball he had Brett Favre on the same team. I think both of them benefitted by having the other. Aaron Rodgers has played with some good players, but I would say none of them as big as Reggie or Favre.
Again, I'm not trying to diminish Reggie White, but I think at this point Aaron Rodgers has done more than enough to be considered his equal.

I think I may not have made my point properly. I have no particular issue with any individual player as such, I have more of an issue with retiring numbers full stop. Still, each to thier own.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I may not have made my point properly. I have no particular issue with any individual player as such, I have more of an issue with retiring numbers full stop. Still, each to thier own.
I think we agree on that point.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Yeah, that's fair.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

All in favor of retiring Buggy's Moderator Number when he hangs it up, say "I"!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why you little........:mad:

*Lifts Buggy up onto my shoulders and parades him around the room.....sets him down quickly, collapses and yells "Man down....medic!" I think the Packer jinx has hit me and I pulled a Hammy, a quad, a groin and suffered a concussion!!*