From Havel's PG column

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I'm sorry porky that was too long for my attention span.

Just kidding.... thanks for replying and you made some valid points but I will continue to blindly support Mike Sherman as a GM. Hell...it works with the TT supporters! And Sherman's teams actually won.

Most of this is obviously, tongue in cheek but it is hard to listen about what a **** job Sherman did and what a super job TT is doing when you look at the records.

BTW....I haven't given up on TT yet. I just thought last years draft class set us back a couple years. This years class has alot of potential.

I give credit for Ron Wolf building teams that lasted years after he left. I give Sherman credit for being a very solid Head Coach in the NFL and he deserves another Head Coaching job in my opinion.

As for TT I'm willing to allow this year to slide as a youth movement but like I told Pyle in another thread if next year is like this year (whether Rodgers or Favre is at QB) then they need to clean house with TT and MM.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Youth isn't an excuse to lose. We have lots of veterans on the team to pick up the slack.
Brett, Driver, Ferguson, fRanks, Wells, Tauscher, Clifton, Henderson, Green, KGB, Kampman, Barnett, Harris, Woodson, Carroll, Picket, Manuel, Taylor and second year guys who need to step it up too like Collins and others. Those are the guys we should be winning the games with. We shouldn't be losing because of youth.

Other teams have youth too. They have the draft the same as the Packers do.

It's time for the veterans to play like vets instead of Rookies and lead by good example.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Youth isn't an excuse to lose. We have lots of veterans on the team to pick up the slack.
Brett, Driver, Ferguson, fRanks, Wells, Tauscher, Clifton, Henderson, Green, KGB, Kampman, Barnett, Harris, Woodson, Carroll, Picket, Manuel, Taylor and second year guys who need to step it up too like Collins and others. Those are the guys we should be winning the games with. We shouldn't be losing because of youth.

It's time for the veterans to play like vets instead of Rookies and lead by good example.

You have to take account of a very young and green coaching staff as well. The depth of this team is young but don't forget we're starting 6 1st and 2nd year players this year as well. That's a lot for any team.

I think any team can have sucess if the player buy into the system their learning and the coach makes the proper adjustments come game time.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
One of the knocks on Sherman was poor drafting. The players mentioned in the article were accurate. But always forgotten in the analysis are the players Sherman signed, and re-signed, who have done quite well, like Driver, Al Harris.

Keep in mind the personnel department now used by TT is virtually the same personnel department Sherman had.

Mike didn't like rookies. He liked to pay veterans.

When you bash Mike Sherman, please include the players Sherman SIGNED, and PLAYED WELL.

Sherman's biggest problem was that he didn't concentrate on getting high quality WR's in GB, and it appears to be TT's as well, (and I don't mean rookies like Walker because he took a few years to develop, and I don't consider Driver a legitimate, elite #1 receiver either.). He's very good. But not a top receiver in the NFL.

Can you imagine if Brett had the receivers that the Colts, Bengals, or Cardinals do?

Hell, if he had Walker, Driver, and Jennings with some o-line protection the Packers would be contending for the playoffs this year if the defense got it's act together.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

You have to take account of a very young and green coaching staff as well. The depth of this team is young but don't forget we're starting 6 1st and 2nd year players this year as well. That's a lot for any team.

I think any team can have sucess if the player buy into the system their learning and the coach makes the proper adjustments come game time.

So Porky, do you think Sherman can win with this team or at least be competitive?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
Zero2Cool said:

So Porky, do you think Sherman can win with this team or at least be competitive?

It's a tough call. I think Sherman is a better Head coach than Mike McCarthy but I'm not sure he could do anything special with this. I think 5 to 6 with Sherman and 4 to 5 with McCarthy. Maybe a game better. Looking at Sherman's track record as a Head Coach though he should receive another job. What he does on his 2nd stint will really tell us about him as a Head Coach in my opinion. For some reason McCarthy just reminds of a Norv Turner. Good Coordinator but bad Head Coach. I could be wrong, I hope I am but that's the feeling I get.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Zero I gotta disagree and go with Mike. LOL I always have to watch what I say cause I really liked MS as a coach but as a GM I can't defend him too much but the one thing I will say for him is I hardly ever see where 1 guy should have both jobs. The modern NFL is just way to complicated to run to many areas

Latest posts