Free agent CB Richard Sherman Ready to Play

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if sometimes there are tampering issues with a player calling another player. Obviously not in this case. But someone like Gronk? Maybe he was property of NE. Would hate to lose a high draft choice because of a call.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd bet Rodgers makes his share of calls to people. I just don't think Brady has any special privileges, I think it's just different perception. As soon as Sherman said he was ready to play, I immediately thought Bucs.

#1 he wants to go to a contender
#2, they have a big Need already

Brady may have made a call, but I think you could put those same circumstances with any team and any QB and that team would be the likely landing spot.
With respect, I think it's a little delusional to assume that Brady doesn't have the special privileges that are being discussed in this situation. Look no further than his head coach saying "we're not in the Antonio Brown business". And guess what happened? They signed Antonio Brown. Because of Brady.

He was the driving force behind all of the other moves I mentioned as well.

If you don't believe me, believe Ariens as he's essentially stated that it's true. I'll have to find the quote.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Even if Aaron Rodgers did, does or starts to recruit guys, what is his sales pitch "Come to Green Bay, I didn't want to stay here, but you are going to love it!"
Well obviously it's not going to do any good at this point. That ship has long ago sailed. It's something he should've had a long time ago. But that was one of the major screwups/miscalculations that's gotten us to this point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With respect, I think it's a little delusional to assume that Brady doesn't have the special privileges that are being discussed in this situation. Look no further than his head coach saying "we're not in the Antonio Brown business". And guess what happened? They signed Antonio Brown. Because of Brady.

He was the driving force behind all of the other moves I mentioned as well.

If you don't believe me, believe Ariens as he's essentially stated that it's true. I'll have to find the quote.
I"ve heard the quotes, and I don't think Brady had any special pull in this case at all. They NEED DB's, a vet was available for cheap. It's a no brainer.

Reaction score
All I am saying is that Rodgers should, at the very least, be given some of the same privileges in that regard. The fact that some (not you) feel as if that's some kind of foreign concept and that Rodgers is a horrible SOB for wanting the same is what I'm pushing back against.
Brady did a good job getting Gronk and likely others aboard last season and we now know it likely pushed them over the top with a SB. But it ultimately his results that allow him to be involved in those decisions. Not to mention him not going after league high type commitments etc.. This is not meant in a personal way, I respect you defending Rodgers, but the dynamic with him is not the same. I know we both want it to be, but it’s just not.

This next part is my speculation. I’ll also add that .. it was Brady recruiting those players that gave Rodgers the idea in the first place. This Cobb request had Brady influence written all over it and the timing? that wasn’t by chance either. It’s my opinion that Brady is underestimated as a businessman, he’s more than just competitor on physical level. He’s very intelligent and he’s very crafty at doing what it takes to Win. That stuff feels more manufactured with Rodgers, he relies heavily on sheer talent, but his personality has an abrasive element mixed in.

In an analogy, Rodgers scores better as the superior athlete on the Rings and Pommel horse, but Brady beats him consistently by being sure and steady in the Overall score of events. I say that being somewhat critical of Brady in past years, but I respect what he’s accomplished, it’s undeniable.

I hope the Packers organization can learn from these moves and sign 1 more key player before deadline. I wouldn’t want Sherman, he’s ok but that’s not our weakest link. Can you imagine making a Deebo Samuel esque move or a Defensive front version come aboard? That’s what I want, id be pumped.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am totally ok with Rodgers not trying to be a pseudo GM and also with not bringing in a loudmouth, social justice warrior criminal who tries to get violent with women.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Brady did a good job getting Gronk and likely others aboard last season and we now know it likely pushed them over the top with a SB. But it ultimately his results that allow him to be involved in those decisions. Not to mention him not going after league high type commitments etc.. This is not meant in a personal way, I respect you defending Rodgers, but the dynamic with him is not the same. I know we both want it to be, but it’s just not.

This next part is my speculation. I’ll also add that .. it was Brady recruiting those players that gave Rodgers the idea in the first place. This Cobb request had Brady influence written all over it and the timing? that wasn’t by chance either. It’s my opinion that Brady is underestimated as a businessman, he’s more than just competitor on physical level. He’s very intelligent and he’s very crafty at doing what it takes to Win. That stuff feels more manufactured with Rodgers, he relies heavily on sheer talent, but his personality has an abrasive element mixed in.

In an analogy, Rodgers scores better as the superior athlete on the Rings and Pommel horse, but Brady beats him consistently by being sure and steady in the Overall score of events. I say that being somewhat critical of Brady in past years, but I respect what he’s accomplished, it’s undeniable.

I hope the Packers organization can learn from these moves and sign 1 more key player before deadline. I wouldn’t want Sherman, he’s ok but that’s not our weakest link. Can you imagine making a Deebo Samuel esque move or a Defensive front version come aboard? That’s what I want, id be pumped.
Rodgers' numbers in the postseason are pretty much better than Brady's across the board. When you take everything into consideration, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that Brady has always had more help around him from a defensive standpoint and a coaching standpoint than Rodgers.

Brady rarely had a defense that wet the bed in the playoffs. And when it did? At the highest of levels? He got beat 41-33. Even the greatest of QBs cannot always win shootouts. And Rodgers' defenses give up an average of like 37 a game in playoff losses. The highest average EVER for a QB's defense with minimum games taken into consideration.

Comparing the winning isn't completely immaterial, but in my opinion, it's a very lazy way to analyze this particular situation.

Rodgers hasn't always been perfect in the playoffs. And neither has Brady, nor any other QB for that matter. But defense, special teams, and coaching matter a whole bunch. Rodgers' teams have generally left a whole hell of a lot to be desired in those categories.

Reaction score
Rodgers' numbers in the postseason are pretty much better than Brady's across the board. When you take everything into consideration, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that Brady has always had more help around him from a defensive standpoint and a coaching standpoint than Rodgers.

Brady rarely had a defense that wet the bed in the playoffs. And when it did? At the highest of levels? He got beat 41-33. Even the greatest of QBs cannot always win shootouts. And Rodgers' defenses give up an average of like 37 a game in playoff losses. The highest average EVER for a QB's defense with minimum games taken into consideration.

Comparing the winning isn't completely immaterial, but in my opinion, it's a very lazy way to analyze this particular situation.

Rodgers hasn't always been perfect in the playoffs. And neither has Brady, nor any other QB for that matter. But defense, special teams, and coaching matter a whole bunch. Rodgers' teams have generally left a whole hell of a lot to be desired in those categories.
I gave you a like because That took effort. Im well aware of his Defenses I was one of the earliest posters in here to present that information in detail. Along with the lack of Rodgers draft resource help etc,, etc:, Im not looking for accolades more just letting you know I’m kinda the Choir that supported that worship service, not a spectator or someone you need to convince it was a good show. ;)
Aside from that Brady still had to perform. in all those contests and he did at a high level. The guy is going to approach 100,000 passing yards before retiring, I don’t think we can discount his singular contribution to his teams’ Offenses. He’s got a ridiculous competitive nature and he’s one of the most efficient QBs over the last generation. Also we can make excuses about other aspects, but they won’t change Aaron’s part in the matter.

Speaking to the thread specifically, Brady allows teams to attack FA due to his below market salary structure and willingness to keep an open line of communication with his FO. He obviously realizes that consistent winning is the best long term strategy. He’s smart to not look at these short term answers (like the vast majority of QBs) and his monetary, olive branch type strategy has allowed his teams to formulate a winning recipe. We can learn from that.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Bart Starr :cool:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old school hit the nail on the head. Brady put his money where his mouth is. He took those team friendly deals in New England which helped them put better defenses on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Did Brady ever have any kind of personnel say in New England other than forcing through the trade of Garoppolo?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old school hit the nail on the head. Brady put his money where his mouth is. He took those team friendly deals in New England which helped them put better defenses on the field.
I read Brady makes $25KK with $20KK of it a signing bonus and all 25 guaranteed. A one year contract. So they could have signed Kevin King with his team friendly numbers?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It’s my opinion that Brady is underestimated as a businessman, he’s more than just competitor on physical level. He’s very intelligent and he’s very crafty at doing what it takes to Win. That stuff feels more manufactured with Rodgers.
I would also add that Brady is probably seen as a guy that gets along with most. Rodgers not so much. Not that AR wouldn't have influence with some players, but I think Brady is seen as more of a guys guy.
I read Brady makes $25KK with $20KK of it a signing bonus and all 25 guaranteed. A one year contract. So they could have signed Kevin King with his team friendly numbers?

Sort of, but there are other details for 2022.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
?? It was a one year contract.
Nope. It was a 5 year deal with voidable years. I'm not going to try and translate it, but it's not as simple as "Brady takes pay cuts to better his team". Perhaps he's playing for less than he has to and is open to redoing his contracts if it betters the team, but he's still pretty well paid.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Did those team friendly deals also include assurances from Kraft that his buddies would sweeten the endorsement deals to make up the difference for what he should have been making "on the books"?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I"ve heard the quotes, and I don't think Brady had any special pull in this case at all. They NEED DB's, a vet was available for cheap. It's a no brainer.
Just because they have a need and he was available for cheap doesn't automatically equal that the Bucs have 100% dibs on Richard Sherman for those factors alone. Other contenders inquired about him.

The difference though?

Richard Sherman at this presser:

"Tom's actually called and kind of once he calls, it's like you better come or you gonna regret not coming. We're a lot of the same spirit in that regard. You know anything it takes to win, both obsessed with this game. Whatever it takes to win. A lot like the late great Kobe Bryant. And so you can appreciate that about each other. And that's kind of what attracted me to come here because I know that I mean he's the same kind of animal I am. For better or for worse."

So either cling to your preconceived notions, or take Sherman at his word. ;)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Brady ever have any kind of personnel say in New England other than forcing through the trade of Garoppolo?
Brady didn't need to have much to say in personnel matters, Belicheck was in charge. Why argue with one of the greatest football minds ever.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brady didn't need to have much to say in personnel matters, Belicheck was in charge. Why argue with one of the greatest football minds ever.

Well it seems like the argument of some in this thread is that if a QB is really good, then he deserves a degree of personnel control. Sort of like how if GM's are super effective, we let them play a few snaps at QB. It just makes sense!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well it seems like the argument of some in this thread is that if a QB is really good, then he deserves a degree of personnel control. Sort of like how if GM's are super effective, we let them play a few snaps at QB. It just makes sense!
New England is an extraordinary exception.

Members online

Latest posts