Free Agency Thread

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In one sentence he left for the money and in another sentence the difference in money is minimum. You obviously respect guys who put winning over money, which is an admirable attribute. I happen to respect guys who when feel slighted stand up for themselves. Now understand it doesn't matter if you or I or anyone else feels he was slighted. IMO based on the results of the last 2 re-negotiations and the fact that he went to the Vikings he feels dis-respected.
Whether he felt slighted or not is irrelevant. That's 100% on him. If he left because his feelings got hurt and went to a loser organization out of spite, so be it. If staying around and having a damn good shot at a Super Bowl over the next couple season wasn't worth taking a cut, that's also on him. One could argue that he might have made more money staying in GB. With Jacobs on the roster there's no doubt he would have fewer carries which could prolong his career. Minnesota will ride him hard.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I happen to respect guys who when feel slighted stand up for themselves. Now understand it doesn't matter if you or I or anyone else feels he was slighted.
Bottom line here is that Jones is a guy who cares more about money than winning.
Maybe neither one of those things was the main reason.

The guy's smart enough to realize that there's a damned good chance this is the last contract he ever signs, and however much money he makes in 2024 may be the last NFL paycheck he ever gets. It may have all come down to just wanting to get every last million or two dollars out of the deal that he could possibly get.

He wakes up every morning and feels the aches and pains, and only he knows how many more there are than a couple of years ago, or how much longer they take to go away. He hears that clock a'tickin', and he's the only one who knows how much louder it's ticking than it was a year ago, even 6 months ago. Maybe those two injuries last year made an impression on him, with how long it took for them to clear up, and maybe he's even still having problems with them.

He may think this is his last chance at a "payday" contract, and just a couple of million more dollars is enough to make the difference to him. It could be that simple. I mean that's a hell of a lotta zeroes, especially if you have good reason to believe they're the last zeroes yoiu're ever going to earn in professional football.

Reaction score
My biggest concern is center. I think Rhyan will be good at OG. He was rated slightly above average in pff last season. I really liked him coming out. He is very athletic and has a mauler mentality. He just needs some refinement in pass protect and more experience. I think he will be really good by end of next season and borderline elite thereon. It's Center I am concerned about.

I would go early on Center in the draft and get a backups at OG and OT later. It's a deep draft for oline and I think you can get some great players that need to develop for a year or 2 later in rounds 3-6.
That’s what working out perfectly. We’re getting set at Safety which is going to be thinner at the top (reaching) in the draft. But the positions we really need the most are lining up nicely with our draft order. OL or WR should see the most selections available top to bottom in my estimation.

WR and QB is thick all rounds and they are predicting 7 WR alone just in Day1.
That means potentially 9-10 picks of the 24 players off the board before our selection that we really won’t miss.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm actually more optimistic about the OL then I was going into last season and honestly, I wasn't concerned about it then either. I don't think Gute and the Packers were all that concerned either, considering they spent zero picks on the OL in the 2023 draft.

That said, I think Gute drafts at least 2, if not 3, O-lineman, much like he did in 2022 with Rhyan, Tom and Walker. The first OL pick might be a C, to immediately replace Myers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe neither one of those things was the main reason.

The guy's smart enough to realize that there's a damned good chance this is the last contract he ever signs, and however much money he makes in 2024 may be the last NFL paycheck he ever gets. It may have all come down to just wanting to get every last million or two dollars out of the deal that he could possibly get.

He wakes up every morning and feels the aches and pains, and only he knows how many more there are than a couple of years ago, or how much longer they take to go away. He hears that clock a'tickin', and he's the only one who knows how much louder it's ticking than it was a year ago, even 6 months ago. Maybe those two injuries last year made an impression on him, with how long it took for them to clear up, and maybe he's even still having problems with them.

He may think this is his last chance at a "payday" contract, and just a couple of million more dollars is enough to make the difference to him. It could be that simple. I mean that's a hell of a lotta zeroes, especially if you have good reason to believe they're the last zeroes yoiu're ever going to earn in professional football.
Possibly, but I have to think that if he has a decent year he won't have a problem getting another gig if he wants it.

I've seen many different numbers thrown around and I don't know where so it's hard to backtrack but one said a the Packers "offer" included more in the way of incentives and less in the way of salary. If that's the case it could be more than the 900 K someone above mentioned.

Like I said before, I don't begrudge anyone for going after more money. Personally I'd rather play for the Packers at league minimum or even retire than play for the vikings but I don't expect most pro Athletes to feel the same way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In essence he gets a one year deal worth up to around 2.5 but only counts against the cap for like 1.5. Mega win
Please explain in detail. I've never heard of a four year qualifying offer and have no idea what it is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I was not optimistic about Bakh last year until GB did not draft any OL. IMO they will not make that mistake again this year. I am guessing 1 in their first 5 picks to compete for playing time this year and then one on day 3 for future depth.
What mistake? Tom and Walker locked down the tackle positions and it would appear that they like where Rhyan is currently. Gutekunst said they didn't draft any offensive linemen last year because they thought any draftees would not have a good chance of making the roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
De'Vondre Campbell was a nobody vet minimum scrap heap journeyman.

Green Bay gave him a shot, he ignited his career, and they paid him life-changing money-- nearly 70% of his career earnings came from the Packers.

All he can do is **** and moan about how he was misused. Screw that guy. What an entitled, unappreciative loser. I hope the Packers get a shot at him and bury him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please explain in detail. I've never heard of a four year qualifying offer and have no idea what it is.
In detail I will fail, all I know is it is only there for players with four years of service. This article touches on it

Reaction score
I think we can wait, however say Gute has a Trey Benson as a top 60 or so prospect and he is there third round. Pick him. In a perfect world Dillon gets some life back in his legs but dude has a ton of college and now pro carries on those legs and he seemed sluggish last year.

What Dillon signing does is what Gute has does every year almost and that is remove himself from a positional corner in the draft.

It’s one reason I see only a LB being a remaining signing over minimum before draft potentially. It is the only corner he is still in.
I agree with you 200%

The only thing I’ll add for FA is take the “deals” if they present themselves and fall into our lap. Meaning, do not get into a bidding war for that LB or whatever position you deem important. Use FA much like we would your above concept in the Draft, don’t get desperate.

Sometimes waiting patiently brings forth unexpected opportunities. I know that’s counterintuitive to our human nature also making people uncomfortable. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve refrained on a decision only to have a better scenario arise making the best, the last. God is good and almost always saves the best for last.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously not implicitly
I hear you. But I trust his team of scouts and him to judge talent that fits our team far more than any forum poster or any amateur national media guy that has a draft list. I'll stick with the professionals that have a good track record every single day and just try to guess who they will take and when with my 20 guesses.

Reaction score
Whether he felt slighted or not is irrelevant. That's 100% on him. If he left because his feelings got hurt and went to a loser organization out of spite, so be it. If staying around and having a damn good shot at a Super Bowl over the next couple season wasn't worth taking a cut, that's also on him. One could argue that he might have made more money staying in GB. With Jacobs on the roster there's no doubt he would have fewer carries which could prolong his career. Minnesota will ride him hard.
Amen. I know it’s unconventional. However the attitude really should be to be thankful to your Employer. Also you just never know how being thankful and respectful in those situations come back to benefit you. What if he coached in GB one day? Don’t think our FO and fans don’t watch how people respond or react or that it has no bearing on future relations.
Something God hammered on me in my 50’s.. (I apparently needed to learn this lesson!) We don’t get judged on how others treat us.. we get judged on how we respond (or react) to how others treat us. Do we lower ourselves to their standard? Or do we remain confident and consistent even when things look intimidating. Anyone can play nice when the grass is green.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I understand you can look at it as a salary cap exclusion for certain players. Dillon checks all the boxes to qualify. Essentially he is paid league minimum for his years of service plus 1.35 million (last season number its higher this year) however, since he meets certain conditions only the league minimum part will count against the cap and not the extra amount.

I remember when they instituted this it was meant to give teams a bit of a break in the salary cap to help them retain certain free agents, who had been with the team for a while, who might otherwise be cap casualties.

Teams can use this type of contract on up to two players but the total amount they can "write off" stays at 1.35 million so they would have to split it between the two.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think that losing Cousins does not propel the Vikings to pose a threat to the Lions. If this was a year ago Jones would be going to a better team before its 2 major injuries. And will Jefferson do as much with Sam Darnold? If he could have Dallas would have been a better place to go.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In detail I will fail, all I know is it is only there for players with four years of service. This article touches on it

After reading this, it sounds like Dillon will get about 2.6M but the salary cap will only reflect 1.25M. Kind of confuses me as to how/why not the other 1.35M is assigned to the cap. If it's not, it sounds like a reward from the league for past service, paid by the Packers but not counting against the cap. Weird rule. Sounds like something that the NFLPA pushed into the CBA as an extra.

Reaction score
I agree that the F/O knows more about the players than we do. To me this begs the question. Part 1. Do posters feel the F/O feels better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft compared to last year's draft? Part 2. Do posters feel better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft?
You’re asking me too many questions. Either you’re trying to be too nice… or this is a setup! :roflmao:

Seriously though Schultz, I can’t speak for them, but I’m really not concerned at all about Runyon leaving. Personally I think it will force us to upgrade. Either an upgrade directly or it will make us draft another good RT and push Tom over etc..
In general him being gone (snd Myers in a contract season) will put additional focus across that OL. Don’t be surprised to see 2-3 OL drafted and one being capable of being an immediate Starter. Such as
#41, #168+#206 OR
#58, #127+#219 or
something like that, it’s like playing Lotto, but there will be a drawing

We’re already sniffing Zak Zinter
he’s in that #91-127 area. We did resign Caleb Jones, so they must really like him

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading this, it sounds like Dillon will get about 2.6M but the salary cap will only reflect 1.25M. Kind of confuses me as to how/why not the other 1.35M is assigned to the cap. If it's not, it sounds like a reward from the league for past service, paid by the Packers but not counting against the cap. Weird rule. Sounds like something that the NFLPA pushed into the CBA as an extra.
Also called the veterans salary benefit.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Sean Clifford switched to #6, so Josh Jacobs can have #8

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_212003_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_212003_X.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8