Free Agency Thread

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What mistake? Tom and Walker locked down the tackle positions and it would appear that they like where Rhyan is currently. Gutekunst said they didn't draft any offensive linemen last year because they thought any draftees would not have a good chance of making the roster.
So, wouldn't that mean that those guys should be even better this year? Therefore, there would be no reason to draft any OL again this year if that is the case.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually more optimistic about the OL then I was going into last season and honestly, I wasn't concerned about it then either. I don't think Gute and the Packers were all that concerned either, considering they spent zero picks on the OL in the 2023 draft.

That said, I think Gute drafts at least 2, if not 3, O-lineman, much like he did in 2022 with Rhyan, Tom and Walker. The first OL pick might be a C, to immediately replace Myers.
I sure hope they don't draft 3 OL. 1 for sure 2 at the most. My reasoning is that it would mean they do not share your optimism about this year's OL compared to last years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So, wouldn't that mean that those guys should be even better this year? Therefore, there would be no reason to draft any OL again this year if that is the case.
This year I don't see much depth other than practice squad guys that have been moved to the 90 man roster. Plus Myers contract expires after next season. I think they are likely to draft 2.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope they don't draft 3 OL. 1 for sure 2 at the most. My reasoning is that it would mean they do not share your optimism about this year's OL compared to last years.
It would also tell me that they are not expecting the guys that were on practice squad last year to make much improvement.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you. But I trust his team of scouts and him to judge talent that fits our team far more than any forum poster or any amateur national media guy that has a draft list. I'll stick with the professionals that have a good track record every single day and just try to guess who they will take and when with my 20 guesses.
Oh, sure. The way I read your previous response was that the professionals are always right and us folks who decided to follow a different career path wouldn't be able to make good player choices. There were those here who wondered about Myers over Humphrey, and it looks like they were right (in that instance). What annoys me is, as above, the contention that a paid staff should always be listened to over people on the outside, looking in. To that, I always ask about Millen in Detroit and the guy in Carolina now. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble when just trying to agree with this post. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think if they would happen to draft multiple OL players, it might have something to do with the future as well. Myers could be done before or after this season. Newman's contract is up at the end of the season. They haven't resigned Nijman. So while I think they have a decent starting 5 right now, between injuries and expired contracts, the depth for now and the future will need to be beefed up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like the old saying goes, "A Little Love Goes a Long Way".

Sounds like Love might have been a reason why Jacobs signed with the Packers. McKinney was also very impressed with him when the Giants were watching film and prepping for their game with the Packers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Double checked. He’s had primarily snaps at LT in preseason with one game at RT

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that guy - with his massive size - were to develop into a truly skilled player... wow. Watch out.
I'd be happy if the guys that are at tackle continue to play well and Caleb would make a good back up. Unlike Nijman.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be happy if the guys that are at tackle continue to play well and Caleb would make a good back up. Unlike Nijman.
Yeah, I'd settle for that and call it a win. Knowing that even if one of your top two T's goes down, you have a 320 lb, 6'9" monster with a wingspan of 7'2" ready to plug and play would be heaven.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nijman was a fine back up. And truly if he cannot find a suitor I’d love them to sign him to one year min type deal.

You cannot expect HIGH level backups. He’s capable at worst and has experience - two things not all teams have in reserve.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nijman was a fine back up. And truly if he cannot find a suitor I’d love them to sign him to one year min type deal.

You cannot expect HIGH level backups. He’s capable at worst and has experience - two things not all teams have in reserve.
Agree. I'm thinking Nijman got in the staff's doghouse and never really escaped. But, I never heard anything specific about it. My guess was it had to do with his off season work ethic. There was just a lot of silence surrounding Nijman all season long.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I'm thinking Nijman got in the staff's doghouse and never really escaped. But, I never heard anything specific about it. My guess was it had to do with his off season work ethic. There was just a lot of silence surrounding Nijman all season long.
His story is not mine to tell, but I will say not all of his issues and struggles this year were due to a lack of anything Yosh did. I hope for one that if back or elsewhere he finds his form again and hits the ground running.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
His story is not mine to tell, but I will say not all of his issues and struggles this year were due to a lack of anything Yosh did. I hope for one that if back or elsewhere he finds his form again and hits the ground running.
Well that certainly is vague. Not sure what to make of that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of these six - "no longer Packers", who do you want back? I've put them in the order I would prioritize them.

- S Rudy Ford: Good depth at a position of need and a special teamer. He played defense on 626 snaps last season.

- T Yosh Nijman: Good back-up tackles aren't easy to find.

- LB Eric Wilson: Another guy that can be a backup and special teamer.

The remaining 3 probably will be lucky to find themselves on a 53 man roster come September. Hard to really say I want any of them back.

• CB Robert Rochell
  • TE Josiah Deguara
  • RB Patrick Taylor

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess we can agree to disagree. I saw too many pass rushers running free even if the QB was able to get the ball off quickly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of these six - "no longer Packers", who do you want back? I've put them in the order I would prioritize them.

- S Rudy Ford: Good depth at a position of need and a special teamer. He played defense on 626 snaps last season.

- T Yosh Nijman: Good back-up tackles aren't easy to find.

- LB Eric Wilson: Another guy that can be a backup and special teamer.

The remaining 3 probably will be lucky to find themselves on a 53 man roster come September. Hard to really say I want any of them back.

• CB Robert Rochell
  • TE Josiah Deguara
  • RB Patrick Taylor
I'd go with Ford. Even if Wilson saved that fumble on the KO return. Ford plays with an intensity that I like.

Reaction score
Keep in mind both Newman and Myers are in their final contract year. I’m not excited about either one. Although it’s possible they are safe just for pure lack of experienced options in 2025.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.