Free Agency Thread

Reaction score
Agree.

Unless Myers has a stellar season, this will be his last in GB. I also can easily see a scenario where they draft his replacement and that guy is good enough to cut Myers before the final 53. The dead cap would only be $354,570 and the cap savings would be $3,116,000
Now that RB is being firmed up through FA.. we can wait a little later to draft a RB such as Day3.
We can concentrate on other positions. Like your Center or my OT(with OG experience).

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In general it would be hard to disagree with our methodology at OL.
For me it’s about the deal. If Risner is (hypothetically) going to take a
3yrX$15mil 7.5M guaranteed? I’m going to sign him and get a nice upgrade there at Guard. It’s all about the $ and resources lost or gained for me. Obviously Rhyan would be another answer, so it’s how we feel about Rhyan at this point in time. The FO knows that last part better than me.

Now I can push my need at Guard into later RD3 like usual and focus on other needs better if we get a known upgrade. Conversely, I’m probably not going to pay a RG $12Mil yearly when I can get 90% of that production for $1-2Mil
I agree that the F/O knows more about the players than we do. To me this begs the question. Part 1. Do posters feel the F/O feels better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft compared to last year's draft? Part 2. Do posters feel better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that RB is being firmed up through FA.. we can wait a little later to draft a RB such as Day3.
We can concentrate on other positions. Like your Center or my OT(with OG experience).
I think we can wait, however say Gute has a Trey Benson as a top 60 or so prospect and he is there third round. Pick him. In a perfect world Dillon gets some life back in his legs but dude has a ton of college and now pro carries on those legs and he seemed sluggish last year.

What Dillon signing does is what Gute has does every year almost and that is remove himself from a positional corner in the draft.

It’s one reason I see only a LB being a remaining signing over minimum before draft potentially. It is the only corner he is still in.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut a guy to save about 5m in cap space, when already on the hook for about 13m either way. Pot committed and they folded on Jones who was much better than Jacobs last season...

You realize the Raiders have one of the absolute worst OL in the league, right? Not sure what "Pot committed" means.

a totally different runner that would of paired perfectly with Jacobs. The heartbeat of a young team, see clip of 33 lifting 13s head up after 13 fumbled along the sideline

Bottom line here is that Jones is a guy who cares more about money than winning. He has absolutely no chance at a Super Bowl ring in Minnesota. He's the one who threw that away. And all over around $900K. He'll regret his decision one day.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corum would be an excellent choice to pair up with Jacobs and Dillon.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Dillon. He can get you 3 yards when you need 5. I don't mind a one year prove it deal but putting any guaranteed money into it would be another foolish move. He shouldn't be given a roster spot. I don't think he can beat out Wilson but if Gute decides that all the RB's in this draft are trash and avoids them in the draft, Dillon could get the RB 3 job by default.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like Dillon. He can get you 3 yards when you need 5. I don't mind a one year prove it deal but putting any guaranteed money into it would be another foolish move. He shouldn't be given a roster spot. I don't think he can beat out Wilson but if Gute decides that all the RB's in this draft are trash and avoids them in the draft, Dillon could get the RB 3 job by default.
He'd make a decent FB though. Beat out Deguera without leaving Door County.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It sounds like Dillon's contract is just a 1 year deal, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Packers look for his successor in the draft. Whether that is Day 3 or Day 2 will probably depend on the board. Depending on what they gave Dillon in guarantees, if any, he also might not be 100% locked into the final 53.

That said, the urgency will no longer be there, so I think a really good move on Gutes part. If Jacobs goes down with an injury, Dillon has proven he can step in a be an average starter.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize the Raiders have one of the absolute worst OL in the league, right? Not sure what "Pot committed" means.

Bottom line here is that Jones is a guy who cares more about money than winning. He has absolutely no chance at a Super Bowl ring in Minnesota. He's the one who threw that away. And all over around $900K. He'll regret his decision one day.
In one sentence he left for the money and in another sentence the difference in money is minimum. You obviously respect guys who put winning over money, which is an admirable attribute. I happen to respect guys who when feel slighted stand up for themselves. Now understand it doesn't matter if you or I or anyone else feels he was slighted. IMO based on the results of the last 2 re-negotiations and the fact that he went to the Vikings he feels dis-respected.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luckily the only former Packers play that has ever truly helped the Vikings is Longwell. He continued to be a good kicker for them for six years and even had his best two seasons there. Everyone else either failed to be an asset, or in the case of Favre, gave them two wins against GB but ultimately twisted the sword into their guts with the across-the-body throw back to the middle, which was intercepted in OT of the NFC Championship Game. Classic Favre. Classic Vikings heartache. Classic Packers player doing nothing but continuing the pain for Vikings fans.

Classic.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the F/O knows more about the players than we do. To me this begs the question. Part 1. Do posters feel the F/O feels better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft compared to last year's draft? Part 2. Do posters feel better, worse, or the same about the OLine going into this draft?
For both questions, I would think less confident. Last year we had a healthy (for 1 game) LT that has been one of the best for a long time. We don't have that anymore.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I was not optimistic about Bakh last year until GB did not draft any OL. IMO they will not make that mistake again this year. I am guessing 1 in their first 5 picks to compete for playing time this year and then one on day 3 for future depth.