Free Agency Thread

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of being alsorans, handing Jones to the Vikings doesn't mean they are going on a deep playoff run, but it does mean they aren't going to be a push over and will likely split their two games with the Packers next season. With Jones and Jefferson, even Darnold might be able to shine.
And it's rather doubtful that Jones plays all the games. The Viking OL is not as good as the Packers and Jones won't have the impact you are thinking. He can't carry a team.

The bottom line is the Packers got better and the Vikings got much worse in FA.

Now I am betting the Vikes trade up to 5 or 6 and grab QB McCarthy faster than his dad going after his his GFs ***. But still it will take a year or two before he is entirely effective.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it's rather doubtful that Jones plays all the games. The Viking OL is not as good as the Packers and Jones won't have the impact you are thinking. He can't carry a team.

Now I am betting the Vikes trade up to 5 or 6 and grab QB McCarthy faster than his dad going after his his GFs ***. But still it will take a year or two before he is entirely effective.
I saw an updated mock yesterday that had MN doing just that - trading up to get McCarthy. It might be their best chance to snag a QB, but they'd be reaching with McCarthy. I do agree with you that the Packers have gotten better in FA while the Queens took a big step back replacing Cousins with Darnold. Justin Jefferson can't be too happy. How sad.

I hate to see Jones leave, and I really hate to see him go to MN. We like to think of football as a sport, with heroes and bad guys. It will always be a business.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw an updated mock yesterday that had MN doing just that - trading up to get McCarthy. It might be their best chance to snag a QB, but they'd be reaching with McCarthy. I do agree with you that the Packers have gotten better in FA while the Queens took a big step back replacing Cousins with Darnold. Justin Jefferson can't be too happy. How sad.

I hate to see Jones leave, and I really hate to see him go to MN. We like to think of football as a sport, with heroes and bad guys. It will always be a business.
I dont blame jones a bit. You only have so many years to make all your money. You have to think of your kids and grandkids ahead of your fans. Me, I'm wired different than most. If I had a few million in the bank I would put fun and championships on a much higher level than money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont blame jones a bit. You only have so many years to make all your money. You have to think of your kids and grandkids ahead of your fans. Me, I'm wired different than most. If I had a few million in the bank I would put fun and championships on a much higher level than money.
Totally agree. And Jones has been that rare RB who probably has put some decent $$$ away. I'm with you on wanting to win championships and at some point putting that above a higher salary. Well, that's easy for me to say.

I was hoping Jones would have agreed to stay with the addition of Jacobs. Jones never was able to be on the field long enough anyway. I think after taking a haircut last year, and then pulling the team into and through the playoffs, he just wasn't willing to give up any more.

I don't blame him. But he's gonna be on the losing end of the two Packer games this year. And playoffs for MN? I don't see it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. I will say that we stick to the process. We stuck to the process and I respect that. In the entirety it works to move on a year early, but a few moves here n there might be questioned. I don’t care as long as we win. Winning fixes everything.

That McKinney move is our Woodson. From what I heard he was a 91% Grade pass defender last season. We’re talking a A+ grade player. Savage was a 61%!! It’s an amazing move and we can sign 1 low cost Veteran Safety, plus add a Top 100 Safety and we should see night n day. Especially if we get lucky and get DeJean or Nubin. Wow we’d go from Weaker Safety room to Stout.

I’m totally amazed we got that deal done. It’s like Christmas in March

Yes, I also love the McKinney signing...A position of need, a guy a lot of teams were likely targeting, and Gutey stepped up and got it done. That's a win.

Resigning Nixon was another move I liked. If they can add another player or two (maybe a starting guard or more secondary help) I'd be delighted, but even if they don't, I'd call this a very satisfying FA period.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I also love the McKinney signing...A position of need, a guy a lot of teams were likely targeting, and Gutey stepped up and got it done. That's a win.

Resigning Nixon was another move I liked. If they can add another player or two (maybe a starting guard or more secondary help) I'd be delighted, but even if they don't, I'd call this a very satisfying FA period.
Agreed. They still have a lot of cap room, but will need it for other things beyond this year, like Love's extension.

I would also be happy with a solid veteran at CB, G, or LB. At this point though, the top guys are gone, or asking too much. There may be another one or two smaller signings, but Gluten did very well this year.

I will admit the change at RB took me totally by surprise. At the same time, I understand why Jones wanted more money. Just hate to see him go, and to the Queens........

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line and the reason why Gute stepped in it is that the Packers basically stayed the same at RB all the while the Vikings got much much better. In the last five years, Jones has only missed about 10 total games. He's been durable even counting last year. When the Vikings had Cook and Jefferson, they managed to split with the Packers despite GB have a HOF QB, who was winning 2 MVP's. Handing Jones to the Vikings is inept on many levels.
I'd argue that JJ for 17 regular season games (knock wood that he stays healthy) is the same as AJ for 12.5 & Dillon for 4.5 as starters. Imho we've gotten better at RB & haven't bolstered the talent level in the draft, yet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Jones added to their offense, the Vikings would've been a bottom feeder. Gute handed Jones to Minnesota for a difference of a mere 1 million or less than 1/2 of 1 % of the salary cap. Jones turned down 6 million and signed for 7 million. The Vikings are not a better team in total given all of their other FA loses but handing them Jones just makes them formidable even with Darnold starting at QB as they groom a Rookie. Switching out Jacobs for Jones is basically a wash but the Vikings were handed a player that is going to bring a lot of pain to the Packers next season. All to save 1 million.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Gute handed Jones to Minnesota for a difference of a mere 1 million or less than 1/2 of 1 % of the salary cap. Jones turned down 6 million and signed for 7 million."

I don't think it is that simple, but I am sure some of the cap knowledgeable members will help.

I believe we saved about 5 mil from the cap, which is just about what the cap hit will be for Jacobs this year. So, for us, we are spending about the same, just on a 3-year younger back that should flourish here. And very manageable control for the next few years on him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to think of your kids and grandkids ahead of your fans. Me, I'm wired different than most. If I had a few million in the bank I would put fun and championships on a much higher level than money.
Wasn't sure how to approach this. Reading through the first sentence, I was knee-jerking to the "you have to be kidding me" response. Jones has already been paid enough to take care of all his progeny, and his barber and gardener for their lives. The last two sentences at least brought me back from the brink. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
!)))

100% correct. Some people need to take off their fan glasses first before having an opinion.
I have no problem with people being upset but I also would expect a little realism to go with it. A lady I work with is so pissed off. Its been fun just ribbing her. Plus so many have no clue who Josh Jacobs is. All they see is their favorite player ever is gone and I can understand that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to console one of my longtime friends last night. She actually reached out in a group text for me to help her understand why Aaron Jones was allowed to leave. I told her the business side of it, but she said that she already knew that (part of why I love watching games with her). She really needed to deal with the emotional side, so I mentioned Jordy Nelson. Then she got it.

It's like putting a pet or grandpa to sleep....sad as hell in the moment but everyone is better off in the end. :whistling:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Without Jones added to their offense, the Vikings would've been a bottom feeder. Gute handed Jones to Minnesota for a difference of a mere 1 million or less than 1/2 of 1 % of the salary cap. Jones turned down 6 million and signed for 7 million. The Vikings are not a better team in total given all of their other FA loses but handing them Jones just makes them formidable even with Darnold starting at QB as they groom a Rookie. Switching out Jacobs for Jones is basically a wash but the Vikings were handed a player that is going to bring a lot of pain to the Packers next season. All to save 1 million.
Imo, Minnesota is still going to be a bottom feeder that's going to struggle to win more games than the Bears.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Being reported that Dillon is in current contact with Dallas, Indianapolis and NY Giants. I think we're probably going to lose him today for good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that switching Jacobs for Jones is a wash. Jacobs is 3 years younger and stronger by about 20 lbs than Jones. And the difference between having Jones and not having him is not $1 mil but the $6 mil GB was willing to pay. What Gluten wasn't going to do was invest $19 mil/year in the RB group (Jacons $12 mil plus Jones $7 mil).

I'm still on the fence about the trade. Jones was a leader and made that team go. But he probably has only a year or two left. Jacobs should have more time left.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or they are letting him get market pricing and looking to see if he then fits their cap.
Could be. I'd rather he came back. Jacobs can't be out there on every down, and Dillon brings another dimension to the run game. And expectations will be lower. He has to decide what to settle for and if it's worth the time and trouble to make a change.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems pretty obvious the Packers don't want him back.
That's not what Gutekunst saaid. Of course, they didn't want to get into a bidding war for him and I'm sure they have a specific contract number that he wants him for.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be. I'd rather he came back. Jacobs can't be out there on every down, and Dillon brings another dimension to the run game. And expectations will be lower. He has to decide what to settle for and if it's worth the time and trouble to make a change.
He's apparently getting significant interest today from others. I was hoping he'd slide through the first two weeks without that happening.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's if Darnold isn't a complete failure!! Chances are he fails..McCarthy or whoever their rookie qb is..is pushed into action before he is even ready. Look how well that worked in Chicago. This could be year 4 of fields for them..he is still not a competent nfl qb!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not just going 'there'... it is seeing him in that UGLY PURPLE ****!! While at first I didn't understand the release, I can definitely understand it. Jones isn't a young football player anymore. He had an injury plagued season..and was more expensive than they wanted. I think him getting hurt in the 49ers game hurt his stock even more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just going 'there'... it is seeing him in that UGLY PURPLE ****!! While at first I didn't understand the release, I can definitely understand it. Jones isn't a young football player anymore. He had an injury plagued season..and was more expensive than they wanted. I think him getting hurt in the 49ers game hurt his stock even more.
Agreed. Purple and yellow and that stupid horn and everyone shouting "skol". Well in the only score that matters, it's Packers with four SB victories, Queens zero.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's apparently getting significant interest today from others. I was hoping he'd slide through the first two weeks without that happening.
Same here. I wonder what he's worth. He had been pretty consistent until last season. I don't think he's worth more than $3 mil/year though. I'd still rather have him back because he knows the system and provides cheap insurance. And the O line will only get better. We'll know soon enough.

I still think the Packers spend a 3rd round pick on a RB, and then another in round 5. As far as I know, this isn't a great class for RBs or safeties. Probably why Gluten hit those positions hard in FA.

Members online

Latest posts