Free Agency Thread

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta respectfully disagree. I wouldn’t call 63 catches unproductive for a FA jumping into a new system with a lesser QB (than #12) and lesser team overall.(4-12)
739 yards (12 yards per)
3 TD’s
31 1st Downs (scored a 1st down on 49% of his catches which matched his 1st down % in 2011)

Jordy had the #2 most receiving yards, just behind Jared Cook. Had he stayed with #12 I think it’s a reasonable deduction he puts up 800-1000 receiving yards 4-6 TD’s area. We also know from his interview that he would’ve accepted less than $6.4M guaranteed but never got an offer. At $5mil area that production is B+/A-
They thought he was holding back young talent, you can ask JJ he said it on an interview.
That talent?? Geronimo, Kumerow and EQ. He certainly was holding back Cobb or Adams, so it Turns out that was wrong also.
It’s ok to want to back our team but we do have the benefit of hindsight, because that was 6 years ago.
I won’t even get into the effect it had on #12 and ongoing turmoil we all witnessed.
Normally we are good on average and even better as of late on moving on from players in FA. I’d grade us B/B+ on a C+ scale.
On that one.. Bad decision D+ grade
Okay, his one year in a Raiders jersey wasn't a total zero, but it wasn't great either:

And he was done as soon as it was over. It was the right time for Green Bay to move on.

I don't know what the future holds for Aaron Jones, he still looks like he's got something left in the tank. Green Bay has gone with a younger option, however, and a guy who has also been productive, so I can't fault them for that.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
!)))
Thats not a bad take. I know people loved Jones a lot. So did I, what was there not to love ( there is now) but when you are running a football team you can't let happy feelings and emotions make your decisions for you. As fans we can complain that treating a guy like Jones like that, assuming they treated him poorly, is just something a team shouldn't do. Gute is not a fan. He is the GM and he is responsible for putting the best team on the field this season while planning for the future.

It sucks to see Jones go but the way I look at it we got a younger, very comparable, if not better, player for at least 3 years. We could have given Jones a 2 year extension to make the timeframe the same but would he make it. We dont have to immediately look for our RB replacement in this years draft. It would not surprise me if we still took a RB on day 2 but I don't think its nearly as big of a need as it was before.

These 2 moves ( Jacobs and McKinney) have opened up the draft in a big way for Gute. And thats seems to be his style. I'm really looking forward to this draft now and free agency isn't even done.
100% correct. Some people need to take off their fan glasses first before having an opinion.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And never is heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day....... Home, home on the forum... where the deer and the packerfans play.
Swapping Jacobs for for Jones in free agency made the Vikings a much better team. That outcome should've been in the thinking but doesn't appear to be the case. I like Jacobs but the Packers are probably not better in 2024 because of how good Jones is. Maybe the long term impact is positive but facing Jones twice as a Viking is going to be hard to watch as he torches his ex team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Nixon is a Packer but I would've rather seen his 6 million go to keeping Jones. The difference in the Packers offense with and without Jones is enormous. Nearly 100 yards per game. The whole Jones fiasco is is as bad of a failure to game out potential outcomes as starting Billy Turner at LT against the Niners in the 2021 playoffs. The Packers could've kept Jones and drafted a RB for the future with all their draft picks. At least with that scenario they could've prevented the Vikings from getting much much better at the Packers expense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad Nixon is a Packer but I would've rather seen his 6 million go to keeping Jones. The difference in the Packers offense with and without Jones is enormous. Nearly 100 yards per game. The whole Jones fiasco is is as bad of a failure to game out potential outcomes as starting Billy Turner at LT against the Niners in the 2021 playoffs. The Packers could've kept Jones and drafted a RB for the future with all their draft picks. At least with that scenario they could've prevented the Vikings from getting much much better at the Packers expense.
Doesn't sanguine mean "cheerfully confident, optimistic, and accepting"? ;)

Jones won't help the 'queens nearly as much as you're envisioning. His touches need to be managed & held around 15-20/game to keep him healthy. I highly doubt he'll hit 100 yds/game against us unless Hafley's D requires triple-teaming Jefferson.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jones won't help the 'queens nearly as much as you're envisioning. His touches need to be managed & held around 15-20/game to keep him healthy. I highly doubt he'll hit 100 yds/game against us unless Hafley's D requires triple-teaming Jefferson.
Jones has an enormous impact on an offense even with only 15 to 20 touches per game. It's the added big plays that extend drives and keeps his team out of fewer third and long situations. Even when he isn't getting the ball, he makes his presence felt. Nothing against Jacobs who I think is very good but Jones is a special dude. Packers stayed the same at RB while the Vikings had an enormous upgrade. That scenario should've been foremost on Gute's thinking about the RB position

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon back..3 year deal 18 mil.
Nice bargain for
Swapping Jacobs for for Jones in free agency made the Vikings a much better team. That outcome should've been in the thinking but doesn't appear to be the case. I like Jacobs but the Packers are probably not better in 2024 because of how good Jones is. Maybe the long term impact is positive but facing Jones twice as a Viking is going to be hard to watch as he torches his ex team.
That 2000+ yards from scrimmage year before last has me sort of excited, to be honest. 220 pounds is a solid punch to pack for 300+ carries... I like the move, despite Jones going to Vikes... I was a big Jones fan from day one. Picked him to be the diamond in the rough before he ever hit the field. And he showed to be a solid starter. But I was also sort of surprised he hit 10mil/yr. And his injuries prove he was an elite complimentary back. But never that every down back who thrives on 300 touches and imo, earns the 10+/mil contracts.

This years RB class doesn't impress me much. I'm picky. I want sub 4.4 on a 220 frame. I know there arent many Adrian Peterson type physical talents like that in the world. But if I'm going to invest a high pick, and plan to pay 10+ mil a year. That's what I want. Jacobs doesn't have that break away speed I'm looking for, but he was an Alabama stud. Has that 2000+ season. And signed for low guaranteed. That's a big win in my book.

Reaction score
Okay, his one year in a Raiders jersey wasn't a total zero, but it wasn't great either:

And he was done as soon as it was over. It was the right time for Green Bay to move on.

I don't know what the future holds for Aaron Jones, he still looks like he's got something left in the tank. Green Bay has gone with a younger option, however, and a guy who has also been productive, so I can't fault them for that.
Ok. I will say that we stick to the process. We stuck to the process and I respect that. In the entirety it works to move on a year early, but a few moves here n there might be questioned. I don’t care as long as we win. Winning fixes everything.

That McKinney move is our Woodson. From what I heard he was a 91% Grade pass defender last season. We’re talking a A+ grade player. Savage was a 61%!! It’s an amazing move and we can sign 1 low cost Veteran Safety, plus add a Top 100 Safety and we should see night n day. Especially if we get lucky and get DeJean or Nubin. Wow we’d go from Weaker Safety room to Stout.

I’m totally amazed we got that deal done. It’s like Christmas in March

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sam darnold is the QB. And it's the Vikings. Adding Jones is like putting expensive racing slicks on a 76 pinto driven by your grandma.

Reaction score
Soldier Field, Memorial Stadium (Illini), Arlington Heights...doesn't matter. The Bears STILL suck, the Bears still suck - sing it with me...
Funny. Those were fun to talk about but man those are the definition of JAGS. Let’s go get us a Mauler at LB

Plug a few more holes around $10Mil area together. Maybe a good 6-8Mil LB and another $2-4mil Safety on a 1 year prove it deal. Then hit LB again inside 4 Rounds.

Jacobs is that guy that he gets hit -2 and still gets you +2. If he gets hit at LOS he’s good for 2nd n 5. He might be a sliver of a tick under Aaron, BUT I think he might be better as the game wears on. He just wears you down like a true BellCow RB. Now we can go draft a dual talented RB to pair with Jacobs.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam darnold is the QB. And it's the Vikings. Adding Jones is like putting expensive racing slicks on a 76 pinto driven by your grandma.
Instead of being alsorans, handing Jones to the Vikings doesn't mean they are going on a deep playoff run, but it does mean they aren't going to be a push over and will likely split their two games with the Packers next season. With Jones and Jefferson, even Darnold might be able to shine.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This kid ain’t afraid to TACKLE!
Now that’s how you play SAFETY!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Instead of being alsorans, handing Jones to the Vikings doesn't mean they are going on a deep playoff run, but it does mean they aren't going to be a push over and will likely split their two games with the Packers next season. With Jones and Jefferson, even Darnold might be able to shine.
So one thing I’d point out is that Jones and Cook are strikingly similar talent level. You almost can’t find 2 RB’s with more similar careers.
We know all about Dalvin Cook. However Cook/Cousins/Jefferson
TWO seasons ago=much better than
Jones/Darnold/Jefferson this year. It’s not even close and I think #33 will be fine. It’s not him I’d be worried about.

Ive been telling you guys I watched Cousins quite a bit when I lived in Virginia. Not only was WTF the local team, but I watched them practice in Richmond VA. Cousins came to MN and brought a 4200 average passing and 30TD+ per season for 5 straight seasons. He wrapped it up in MN with a 50-37-1 record. The truth is that the Vikings just lost one of the better pure pocket passers in the NFL (at #10 according to PFF)
I Doubt Darnold finishes Top 10.
If MN settles for signing Sam Darnold? they’re in big, big trouble imo. They’d be best off selling theur souls to get a top 3 QB this year and just giving up on Day 1 picks for a few years.

If anyone should be worried it should be Minnesota

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So one thing I’d point out is that Jones and Cook are strikingly similar talent level. You almost can’t find 2 RB’s with more similar careers.
Jones/Darnold/Jefferson this year. It’s not even close and I think #33 will be fine. It’s not him I’d be worried about.

Ive been telling you guys I watched Cousins quite a bit when I lived in Virginia. I told you guys he’d do good in MN and got laughed at.
He’s still underestimated by quite a few of fans and he’s still a Top 10 QB today. The Vikings will need to draft a Top 10 QB and I wouldn’t be too sure he’d skyrocket in a Rookie season. If they settle for Sam Darnold they’re in big trouble. We’ll eat the Vikings alive if Hafley is even 80% decent.
The bottom line and the reason why Gute stepped in it is that the Packers basically stayed the same at RB all the while the Vikings got much much better. In the last five years, Jones has only missed about 10 total games. He's been durable even counting last year. When the Vikings had Cook and Jefferson, they managed to split with the Packers despite GB have a HOF QB, who was winning 2 MVP's. Handing Jones to the Vikings is inept on many levels.

Ive been telling you guys I watched Cousins quite a bit when I lived in Virginia. I told you guys he’d do good in MN and got laughed at. He came in and posted 4 of his first 5 seasons there over 4,200+ and averaged 30TD+ per season.
He’s still underestimated by quite a few of fans and he’s still a Top 10 QB today. The Vikings will need to draft a Top 10 QB and I wouldn’t be too sure he’d skyrocket in a Rookie season. If they settle for Sam Darnold they’re in big trouble. We’ll eat the Vikings alive if Hafley is even 80% decent.

Reaction score
The bottom line and the reason why Gute stepped in it is that the Packers basically stayed the same at RB all the while the Vikings got much much better. In the last five years, Jones has only missed about 10 total games. He's been durable even counting last year. When the Vikings had Cook and Jefferson, they managed to split with the Packers despite GB have a HOF QB, who was winning 2 MVP's. Handing Jones to the Vikings is inept on many levels.
Don’t misunderstand me. I don’t LIKE Jones in Purple, but losing Cousins and gaining Jones was 100% a substantial net loss regardless of it’s us playing them or not. The Vikings got worse but it’s not because of AJ it’s because they lost both Mattison and Cousins and now Danielle Hunter and now Dalton Risner is causing waves.

While AJ is an obvious upgrade over Mattison, they still lost Mattison by replacing instead of adding. Then they lost Danielle Hunter and now Risner is vocal and upset they’ve disrespected him. He’s one of the top OG in the league and GB should poach him while he’s mad. I initially said get an upgrade at Safety and OG. .. here’s our chance.

If GB could swoop in and get Dalton Risner? Wow
We’d be a couple more lower priced veterans from done in FA.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Jefferson could be taking a huge step back without a proven QB.... That's not just losing cousins. That's losing a large part of Jeffersons potential.... They will need a RB to dump it off to a lot. And Jefferson will lose a lot of his deep ball throws I bet.

Reaction score
Justin Jefferson could be taking a huge step back without a proven QB.... That's not just losing cousins. That's losing a large part of Jeffersons potential.... They will need a RB to dump it off to a lot. And Jefferson will lose a lot of his deep ball throws I bet.
Add to That the Vikings just lost FA#1
AND FA#2. There’s absolutely no way the Vikings just got better than GB. Yes they got a ++ Aaron Jones over Alex Mattison

But.. Lost FA#1 Cousins to Atlanta on a $45mil per season multi year deal in exchange for Darnold

Lost FA#2 Danielle Hunter to the Texans in a 2yr X $48Mil monster deal in exchange for FA#11 Greenard $19mil per

Meanwhile GB loses Aaron Jones but
adds
Xavier McKinney
Josh Jacobs

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice. Brian said he was a player he wanted to retain and I guess he backed it up. They must have seen something in him “pre injury”. He’s already a solid ST player, but I recall He played QB before converting to TE. So he’s probably a pretty sharp guy. Tyler has all the tools, he’s athletic, he’s tough, he’s been in system now for several years, it seems he just needs to stay injury free and I think he can be a + contributor.
I don't know if they ever see him as much more than a special teams player, but they love him in that role. When he went down last year, Bisaccia said it was like he lost his righhand - said he was "an exceptional" ST player, a guy with the tools and the brains to excel in any situation. That's pretty high praise for a special teamer.

As long as they're keeping him, they'll probably use him to replace Deguara, give him a shot at that hybrid "H"-back spot. Especially if they draft that bigger RB next month that Gutekunst keeps talking about; that would make it a little easier to afford cutting Deguara.

Members online

Latest posts