Free Agency Thread

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Don't worry, Monday and Tuesday is just the time period when "legal tampering" is allowed. No contracts have been signed. :cool:
So we're just in the training phase for when FA actually starts tomorrow.?? I guess I might need to up my game a little, and take another one... so I'm ready for the big day. ;)

Reaction score
Super Bowl!

Packers resigned TE Tyler Davis. :coffee:
Nice. Brian said he was a player he wanted to retain and I guess he backed it up. They must have seen something in him “pre injury”. He’s already a solid ST player, but I recall He played QB before converting to TE. So he’s probably a pretty sharp guy. Tyler has all the tools, he’s athletic, he’s tough, he’s been in system now for several years, it seems he just needs to stay injury free and I think he can be a + contributor.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, was this screwed up. Jones runs to the Vikings and gives them a sweet deal just to F.U. Gute. He's going to bring the pain twice next season. Clearly, Jones was pissed off after what he perceived to be lowball offers. Getting Jacobs should ease the pain, but be prepared for Jones to have monster games against the Packers next season.
Jones was and always will be Green Bay Packer. He's going in as a double agent. 2.5 YPC, 7 fumbles (4 of them coming against the Packers) and 3 TDs total in the 7 games he ends up playing for them because he is sitting out with a "hamstring injury" He and Gute worked it all out on Sunday afternoon.

That's what I heard anyway and I always believe the voices in my head.

Don't worry, Monday and Tuesday is just the time period when "legal tampering" is allowed. No contracts have been signed. :cool:

Who ever came up with the term "legal" tampering?

tampering

1. interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations.
    "someone tampered with the brakes on my car"

2. exert a secret or corrupt influence upon (someone).

Some media guy no doubt. Besides the contradiction it does kinda make sense. Before, any contact with a player under contract was considered "tampering" by the NFL and was deemed illegal. After fat Albert signed his deal at 1 minute after midnight the NFL realized it was going on but they couldn't prove it so they gave teams a 2 day window to "tamper" before FA started. In essence they made it "legal" to "tamper." They could have called it something else but "the two day period prior to the official start of free agency when teams and soon to be free agents and their agents can meet and discuss possible contracts" just doesn't roll of the tong quite as smoothly as "the legal tampering period". Besides, I think its a bit of a nod to the fact that the NFL knew it was happening for years but did nothing about it unless it was blatant. The term says yeah, its legal now.

Amazing really how many big name RB's were FA's too. Further evidence that the position has been devalued quite a bit in the last 5 or so years.

In addition to the new crop so many were franchised last season and Jones and Dixon took pay cuts to stay with their teams that yeah, it lead to a glut of big names being available this year. I think last season was a "lets see how this RB thing shakes out" type of season.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
They are trying to get away from the term "Legal Tampering". The NFL Network has said numerous times over the past 2 days that it's not legal tampering, it's a "negotiating period". I just googled legal tampering and this is what I found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_155825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_155825_Chrome.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 6

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, not coddled. But when dealing man to man, with some courtesy and respect.
What does that mean? Pay a guy more than what you think he is worth to your team? As I said before we as fans can let our emotions run wild and think that paying a guy for past performance is fine but a GM can't do that. Unless and until Jones comes forth and says he was disrespected I won't be disrespected for him. These players know its a business and if the stories are true the Packers wanted Jones to play for about 5.5 million (half his 2024 salary) You may call that discourteous and disrespectful but I call it business. I can guarantee you if the Packers had asked Josh Meyers to take a 50% pay cut no one would think he was being disrespected. Before you start comparing Jones' and Myers' value to the Packers remember, the value , as seen by the team is what they offered. If its 50% of their current salary that's all it is no matter who it is so if one guy is being disrespected then they all would be.

They are trying to get away from the term "Legal Tampering". The NFL Network has said numerous times over the past 2 days that it's not legal tampering, it's a "negotiating period". I just googled legal tampering and this is what I found.
I'm not surprised. I'm sure the NFL didn't like it. To me it implied that something sneaky was going on before and they just let it go. like I said though, calling it what it really is isn't as attention grabbing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon back..3 year deal 18 mil.
6 million a year, that's going to **** a lot of people off. No one wanted him for 5 million according to the poll. Its a bit much but I'm glad he's back even though the league is trying to put him out of a job and most people just want the ball at the 25 anyway. I like his return game and while he may not be the best DB he is depth and I don't think he is a liability when he is on the field.

sorry about the multiple posts I tried to keep my responses in one but after I hit post I see more that were posted that I wanted to reply to.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jones was and always will be Green Bay Packer. He's going in as a double agent. 2.5 YPC, 7 fumbles (4 of them coming against the Packers) and 3 TDs total in the 7 games he ends up playing for them because he is sitting out with a "hamstring injury" He and Gute worked it all out on Sunday afternoon.

That's what I heard anyway and I always believe the voices in my head.

Some media guy no doubt. Besides the contradiction it does kinda make sense. Before, any contact with a player under contract was considered "tampering" by the NFL and was deemed illegal. After fat Albert signed his deal at 1 minute after midnight the NFL realized it was going on but they couldn't prove it so they gave teams a 2 day window to "tamper" before FA started. In essence they made it "legal" to "tamper." They could have called it something else but "the two day period prior to the official start of free agency when teams and soon to be free agents and their agents can meet and discuss possible contracts" just doesn't roll of the tong quite as smoothly as "the legal tampering period". Besides, I think its a bit of a nod to the fact that the NFL knew it was happening for years but did nothing about it unless it was blatant. The term says yeah, its legal now.

In addition to the new crop so many were franchised last season and Jones and Dixon took pay cuts to stay with their teams that yeah, it lead to a glut of big names being available this year. I think last season was a "lets see how this RB thing shakes out" type of season.

Let's face it, tampering/conversations were happening sooner than Monday, probably even sooner than the combine. I do think the combine though is when the floodgates start opening. Lots of GM's, agents, etc. in one spot, things happen, drinks get drunk, pictures get taken.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 million a year, that's going to **** a lot of people off. No one wanted him for 5 million according to the poll. Its a bit much but I'm glad he's back even though the league is trying to put him out of a job and most people just want the ball at the 25 anyway. I like his return game and while he may not be the best DB he is depth and I don't think he is a liability when he is on the field.

sorry about the multiple posts I tried to keep my responses in one but after I hit post I see more that were posted that I wanted to reply to.
Can earn 19.2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nixon back..3 year deal 18 mil.

I like it. Some won't because they will say the Packers should be fair catching every kickoff and Nixon isn't worth that money as a CB. I beg to differ and think that Nixon provides the Packers with a Pro Bowl Kick returner and an average CB. Call it expensive depth at CB, but he will end up getting a lot of snaps at the position. I also think that the CB's will look/play much better with the new DC, Xavier McKinney and whatever other improvements the Packers make to the defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nice. Brian said he was a player he wanted to retain and I guess he backed it up. They must have seen something in him “pre injury”. He’s already a solid ST player, but I recall He played QB before converting to TE. So he’s probably a pretty sharp guy. Tyler has all the tools, he’s athletic, he’s tough, he’s been in system now for several years, it seems he just needs to stay injury free and I think he can be a + contributor.
No doubt, he and Dexter Williams will one day be the backbone of this Super Bowl team! ;) :cool:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I mean they had to do something with that 6 million that Jones turned down.

Reaction score
Someone complained about Jordy being let go...He played one more unproductive season with the Raiders and then was out of the league. It was a tough call, but ultimately the right one.
Gotta respectfully disagree. I wouldn’t call 63 catches unproductive for a FA jumping into a new system with a lesser QB (than #12) and lesser team overall.(4-12)
739 yards (12 yards per)
3 TD’s
31 1st Downs (scored a 1st down on 49% of his catches which matched his 1st down % in 2011)

Jordy had the #2 most receiving yards, just behind Jared Cook. Had he stayed with #12 I think it’s a reasonable deduction he puts up 800-1000 receiving yards 4-6 TD’s area. We also know from his interview that he would’ve accepted less than $6.4M guaranteed but never got an offer. At $5mil area that production is B+/A-
They thought he was holding back young talent, you can ask JJ he said it on an interview.
That talent?? Geronimo, Kumerow and EQ. He certainly was holding back Cobb or Adams, so it Turns out that was wrong also.
It’s ok to want to back our team but we do have the benefit of hindsight, because that was 6 years ago.
I won’t even get into the effect it had on #12 and ongoing turmoil we all witnessed.
Normally we are good on average and even better as of late on moving on from players in FA. I’d grade us B/B+ on a C+ scale.
On that one.. Bad decision D+ grade

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he played QB he may be used as an emergency holder.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. Some won't because they will say the Packers should be fair catching every kickoff and Nixon isn't worth that money as a CB. I beg to differ and think that Nixon provides the Packers with a Pro Bowl Kick returner and an average CB. Call it expensive depth at CB, but he will end up getting a lot of snaps at the position. I also think that the CB's will look/play much better with the new DC, Xavier McKinney and whatever other improvements the Packers make to the defense.
I just recall the TB game which Savage missed. Our secondary played its worst game of the season. Mayfield looked like a HOFer. We cannot let that happen again. Hopefully, McKinney will stay on the field and some of those around him will develop.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing he plays more slot this year.

What.....you are aware of what he attempted to play last year right???

I want to know the guarantee money before I judge...dude is no better corner than Jarret Bush ever was for us...love having him for returning but I don't pay returners that much.

I hope he plays much better on D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts