Free Agency Thread

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They have Royce Newman..Lol
The longer Newman remains on the roster, the more I think the coaches feel he could potentially win the starting RG position. One needs to only be reminded of TJ Lang's very uneven first three years with the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In 7 years Aaron Jones has been paid $38M by the Packers. Some folks act like he was exploited. Wish I was mistreated like that
Definitely not chump change for an NFL RB that probably never averaged more than 12-14 carries a game in any of those seasons.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Treatment of veteran players with something that Jones complained about a few years ago.
Someone complained about Jordy being let go...He played one more unproductive season with the Raiders and then was out of the league. It was a tough call, but ultimately the right one.

Green Bay just got three years younger at running back. I love Aaron Jones and wish him all the best, but running backs wear out fast in this league and he missed significant time last season. This is a business.

It's sad to see him go, and he'll always be one of my all-time favorite Packers. At the same time I'm excited to see what Josh Jacobs can bring to Green Bay.

Go Pack Go!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In 7 years Aaron Jones has been paid $38M by the Packers. Some folks act like he was exploited. Wish I was mistreated like that
I have several friends that are what I call "casual Packer fans". They watch most of the games, but have no problem skipping one if a big sale is going on at the mall or its a great day to get out golfing. They don't read much or stay in tuned with what is happening off the field but they "Love their Packers."

Anyway, I have chatted or texted with a few of them since the Jones news and they are all just "stunned, dismayed and wonder what the F is wrong in Green Bay." When I try to explain the rationale, their reaction is "but it is Aaron Jones, the best player on the team." :rolleyes:

It was a business decision, not a popular one, but when did Gute and the Packers really ever worry about making bad decisions, just to please their once a week fans?

I applaud Gute for making the decision, now we will see how it works out.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok well that would not be solid logic because Aaron Jones will count over 12m against the Packers cap in 2024. They saved roughly 5 m by cutting him.

So the Packers are still counting Jones for 12 m in 2024. Jacobs cap number is not going to be 12m, yeah thats his yearly avgerage but it wont be what he counts against the cap

Meanwhile Jones is signing with the Vikings for 1 year 7m. Bonehead play by the Packers front office. Clearly Jones is not happy with how he was treated at the end like so many other Packers greats of recent history
Wow, was this screwed up. Jones runs to the Vikings and gives them a sweet deal just to F.U. Gute. He's going to bring the pain twice next season. Clearly, Jones was pissed off after what he perceived to be lowball offers. Getting Jacobs should ease the pain, but be prepared for Jones to have monster games against the Packers next season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, was this screwed up. Jones runs to the Vikings and gives them a sweet deal just to F.U. Gute. He's going to bring the pain twice next season. Clearly, Jones was pissed off after what he perceived to be lowball offers. Getting Jacobs should ease the pain, but be prepared for Jones to have monster games against the Packers next season.
And never is heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day....... Home, home on the forum... where the deer and the packerfans play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I never thought Cousins was all that bad. Maybe he'll succeed in Atlanta?
I agree. While Cousins probably doesn't make the Hall of Fame, that might be more of a reflection of the teams he played for and not him. Will he turn it around in Atlanta? Probably not, but I would rate him as top 15 of the active QB's and with the right offense (49'ers, Rams,etc.) probably takes his team a lot further.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. While Cousins probably doesn't make the Hall of Fame, that might be more of a reflection of the teams he played for and not him. Will he turn it around in Atlanta? Probably not, but I would rate him as top 15 of the active QB's and with the right offense (49'ers, Rams,etc.) probably takes his team a lot further.
I see this as Matt Ryan going to Indianapolis. Long term stunting growth of the Atlanta franchise. Just my 2 cents.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see this as Matt Ryan going to Indianapolis. Long term stunting growth of the Atlanta franchise. Just my 2 cents.
Probably a pretty good analogy. Maybe even like Carr going to the Saints. Rodgers to the Jets, but the Jets paid a big price for him with draft picks.

The Falcons were in a tough spot. While they have the 8th pick in the draft, unless they traded a lot of future draft capital to move up, it probably doesn't land them a sure thing at QB. Desmond Ridder was a complete dead end for them. There have been many teams that go far with an old QB, with less talent than Cousins, so who knows what he does in Atlanta. I don't follow them close enough to predict the outcome.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So how excited is everybody to get the show on the road tomorrow at 3pm? The official opening of NFL Free Agency!!! :coffee: :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see the Steelers signed Patrick Queen, a guy I would have liked to have seen in Green and Gold. Queen gets a 3-year, $41M deal .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mixon got traded from Cincinatti to Houston too. Musical chairs for RB's this year.
Amazing really how many big name RB's were FA's too. Further evidence that the position has been devalued quite a bit in the last 5 or so years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just got up from mine.... I'm tired from all this free agency movement
Don't worry, Monday and Tuesday is just the time period when "legal tampering" is allowed. No contracts have been signed. :cool:

Who ever came up with the term "legal" tampering?

tampering

1. interfere with (something) in order to cause damage or make unauthorized alterations.
    "someone tampered with the brakes on my car"

2. exert a secret or corrupt influence upon (someone).

Members online

Latest posts