Free Agency Thread

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jacobs: Was great in 22. Was not good in 23. Didn't watch much of the Raiders to know why he didn't play so well. Should be at least good. Didn't see this coming. Think we could have gotten a rookie in the 2nd who would be about as affective. He's a poor blocker for blitz pick up.

Xavier McKinney: awesome signing. Should be huge in this defense. Was the FA I wanted the most. Thought we would get him cheaper but seems we were in a bidding war with Eagles.

Losses:
Aaron Jones. Sucks and hurts. One of my all time favorite Packers. I get it, but it hurts. Will root for him wherever he goes.

Bahk: sucks but it made sense. Bahks knee never gets hurt and we have at least 1 more SB.

Savage: it was time to go. Inconsistent and came up small in big moments.

Runyan: $10M/year for a below average player? And they let one of the best safeties walk away? What is going on in the NYG GM office?.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jacobs: Was great in 22. Was not good in 23. Didn't watch much of the Raiders to know why he didn't play so well. Should be at least good. Didn't see this coming. Think we could have gotten a rookie in the 2nd who would be about as affective. He's a poor blocker for blitz pick up.

Xavier McKinney: awesome signing. Should be huge in this defense. Was the FA I wanted the most. Thought we would get him cheaper but seems we were in a bidding war with Eagles.

Losses:
Aaron Jones. Sucks and hurts. One of my all time favorite Packers. I get it, but it hurts. Will root for him wherever he goes.

Bahk: sucks but it made sense. Bahks knee never gets hurt and we have at least 1 more SB.

Runyan: $10M/year for a below average player? And they let one of the best safeties walk away? What is going on in the NYG GM office?.

Okay easy on Runyan below average I’d argue is not correct. He played injured this year it came to be known and is why the split time. When fresher he played his best after they started spelling him.

He is average in pass pro (his weakness) and above average in run blocking. Immense starting experience and makes sense he got paid, but I haven’t seen the details of the deal yet, have they been released?

OP
OP
Todd Princl

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay easy on Runyan below average I’d argue is not correct. He played injured this year it came to be known and is why the split time. When fresher he played his best after they started spelling him.

He is average in pass pro (his weakness) and above average in run blocking. Immense starting experience and makes sense he got paid, but I haven’t seen the details of the deal yet, have they been released?
3 for 30

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Had not heard he was injured. His PFF grade was 54.7 ranked 41st. That sort of met my eye test expectations. I don't think we should have come close to that. I have more confidence that Ryhan makes some strides than Runyan returns to his level of play.

Reaction score
I don’t expect nor would have expected either of them here in five years.
I’m not really as interested in IF Aaron Jones will take a contract from us in 5yrs that’s not my point. Truthfully I expected you would’ve already known that though.
I’m looking at it like a GM would or from a point of athletic decline. We’re not going to hand a 4yr deal to Aaron Jones that’s not happening. It just happened to Josh Jacobs though, but correct me if I got bad info
Most players show signs of decline a season before they are done. I doubt Gutey offers 4 yrs to a guy he thinks is in major decline inside the terms of his contract offer. Regardless of when we part ways.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Losses:

This pretty well sums it up for me too but I think Runyan is currently at average. But yeah, signing an average guard to 3/30 and letting go of one of the better RB's and S in the league go is a head scratcher to me too.

Reaction score

He’s not alone. I also saw somewhere a 3X$30mil. It’s early so maybe that’s not true just going off the initial reports.

This isn’t Corey Linsley prime here though either, Jon Runyon Jr is a pedestrian RG, he’s our player I know. This isn’t another teams RG we’ve watched him for 4 straight years day in and out. he’s maybe maybe about $6-8Mil of player (I’m being generous) making $10mil per season which I 100% agree is too much. Personally $6Mil per is what I value him and I’d walk him over $7.5Mil without batting an eye the Giants are desperate

From the Jetswire March 10:
Below, PFF projected what each of those players’ new contracts could look like:

Robert Hunt: 4 years – $17.5 million per year

Kevin Zeitler: 2 years – $7.5 million per year

Jon Runyan: 3 years – $6.67 million per year

Jonah Jackson: 3 years – $10.25 million per year

John Simpson: 2 years – $5.25 million per year

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had not heard he was injured. His PFF grade was 54.7 ranked 41st. That sort of met my eye test expectations. I don't think we should have come close to that. I have more confidence that Ryhan makes some strides than Runyan returns to his level of play.

I have more confidence in Rhyan run blocking…right now I’d rather pick a replacement in the draft.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand the financial philosophy of a team that lets one of the 2 best safeties in the NFL walk and pays Jon Runyan $30M to play maybe $9M worth of football.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings desperately need a RB. Packer fans, get ready to see Jones in purple. He could inflict a lot of pain being on the other side.
Even if this happens, don't worry. The Vikings just......wait, I just laughed the Cheerios out of my mouth....the Vikings just signed Sam Darnold as their QB. Jones is not the type of back to be the work horse making Darnold look better. Jones is the kind of guy that would compliment Dak in Dallas. We all know that Aaron Jones can not be your every down back, and that's what the Vikings need.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have more confidence in Rhyan run blocking…right now I’d rather pick a replacement in the draft.
I agree that you just can't hand the job to Rhyan. Packers need to draft an IOL high in the draft both for depth and competition for Rhyan. He may pan out but he'd already be a good starter at the end of year 2 if he was showing that he's more than an average player.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I love is hearing all of the praise about McKinney. On GMFB they said that McKinney was one of two players to play every snap on defense in 2023. He was their team captain at 24yrs old, beloved in the locker room, a fan favorite off of the field, and a beast on the field. I'm very excited.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the few games, I've watched the Giants, McKinney reminds me of those guys who are just good football players. They process the game very quickly and just react faster than most other players so they are always around the football. Woodson was the epitome of that. I'm not saying Xavier is a HOFer, but every team needs guys who are football players first and track athletes second. Gute went after the best safety available and he's coming to town!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess: Jones was about to make $12 mil next season, roughly the same that GB is going to pay Jacobs...Gutey probably decided $24 mil was a bit much to spend on the backfield for one year. He likely asked AJ to take a paycut, and when that didn't happen he decided to go with the younger guy.

I really hate to see a classy vet like Aaron Jones go, but it is a business, and this appears to have been a business decision that makes sense.

I love the signing of McKinney.

Ok well that would not be solid logic because Aaron Jones will count over 12m against the Packers cap in 2024. They saved roughly 5 m by cutting him.

So the Packers are still counting Jones for 12 m in 2024. Jacobs cap number is not going to be 12m, yeah thats his yearly avgerage but it wont be what he counts against the cap

Meanwhile Jones is signing with the Vikings for 1 year 7m. Bonehead play by the Packers front office. Clearly Jones is not happy with how he was treated at the end like so many other Packers greats of recent history

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Treatment of veteran players with something that Jones complained about a few years ago.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how should they be treated, coddled and swaddled like grown up babies?ed
Thats not a bad take. I know people loved Jones a lot. So did I, what was there not to love ( there is now) but when you are running a football team you can't let happy feelings and emotions make your decisions for you. As fans we can complain that treating a guy like Jones like that, assuming they treated him poorly, is just something a team shouldn't do. Gute is not a fan. He is the GM and he is responsible for putting the best team on the field this season while planning for the future.

It sucks to see Jones go but the way I look at it we got a younger, very comparable, if not better, player for at least 3 years. We could have given Jones a 2 year extension to make the timeframe the same but would he make it. We dont have to immediately look for our RB replacement in this years draft. It would not surprise me if we still took a RB on day 2 but I don't think its nearly as big of a need as it was before.

These 2 moves ( Jacobs and McKinney) have opened up the draft in a big way for Gute. And thats seems to be his style. I'm really looking forward to this draft now and free agency isn't even done.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if this happens, don't worry. The Vikings just......wait, I just laughed the Cheerios out of my mouth....the Vikings just signed Sam Darnold as their QB. Jones is not the type of back to be the work horse making Darnold look better. Jones is the kind of guy that would compliment Dak in Dallas. We all know that Aaron Jones can not be your every down back, and that's what the Vikings need.
Well - I didn't think that the Vikings would do this, but they did. My statement above stands. I don't think that it was a good move.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that you just can't hand the job to Rhyan. Packers need to draft an IOL high in the draft both for depth and competition for Rhyan. He may pan out but he'd already be a good starter at the end of year 2 if he was showing that he's more than an average player.
They have Royce Newman..Lol

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still hope they can draft a veteran lb..who can cover and tackle..and draft another lb high.

Members online

Latest posts