Free Agency Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said he would like to keep Dillon, Wilson and Ballentine. Their all back. Jones they couldn't come to agreement with. I never heard the team mention they wanted Savage or Nijman.
I'm not sure what the team sees in Wilson. With Jones out so much, Wilson had a great opportunity to show what he could do. Didn't happen. They'll still need to draft two RBs, one early, one later.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think that I got confused by the Eric Wilson signing. I'm getting to be an old man

I think just like the rest of us, you got hoodwinked by the articles title. Seems everyone is going for clicks these days. They try to disguise opinions/garbage with headlines that make you want to read it.

What disturbs me is when something big happens, a story will be released. Shortly following that story, there will be 50 new releases, by different sources, with a twist on the story as the headline and the original story cut and pasted into it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I knew he played Hyde, Randall, and Hayward out of position - and that's frustrating because Hyde and Hayward had very successful careers once out of GB. How did he play Raji out of position? I thought Raji was the nose tackle.
He was. In 2011 Capers moved him out to 3 technique. Raji was very good over center.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the team sees in Wilson. With Jones out so much, Wilson had a great opportunity to show what he could do. Didn't happen. They'll still need to draft two RBs, one early, one later.
Eric Wilson

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Too many Wilsons. I’m referring to #31. #45 is Eric Wilson, the LB.
At 2:05 you replied to my post of Gutekunst saying he wanted to re-sign Diilon, Wilson and Ballentine. Eric Wilson was a free agent. Emmanual Wilson is not a free agent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 2:05 you replied to my post of Gutekunst saying he wanted to re-sign Diilon, Wilson and Ballentine. Eric Wilson was a free agent. Emmanual Wilson is not a free agent.
Yeah thanks Pike that's my bad. And this is a FA thread so I should be posting about #31 on the RB thread anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
KC didn't want to pay him big $$ so they got what they could. He's not a lockdown CB which Tennessee will soon find out.
Possibly a move the Packers should have pursued when Alexander's contract was about up. I understand the value of a CB, but $21M/year is a lot of cabbage and Jaire definitely didn't come close to earning it last season.

The Titans ended up giving Snead a 4 year $76.4 million deal that includes $55 million guaranteed and a $20 million signing bonus.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was. In 2011 Capers moved him out to 3 technique. Raji was very good over center.

I'd argue he was a better 3T. 3T's generally get to rush up field more and be disruptive. NTs tend to need to 2-gap more often.

I put Raji's misuse on the sheer volume of snaps he had to play for a man of his size.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde was under the Capers regime. Imo Capers played Hyde, Raji, Randall and Heyward out of position.

I think there is a lot of hindsight in that assessment.

Hyde
Hyde ended up a better Safety than corner, no argument. But when he demonstrated that he was a better safety than corner, we had already drafted HaHa AND Hyde began the year as one of the starting safeties. He lost the job to rookie HaHa after game 7 or so. After that, he was used as the 3rd safety and nickel CB depending on the game plan and who was healthy. He flourished in Buffalo, but the decision to let him walk makes sense at the time. It just stings so bad because HaHa ended up washing out.

Hayward
Casey was a pretty solid CB, but again, it makes sense to let him walk. At the time, we had primarily press-man corners, had just extended Sam Shields, Randall was entering year 2 (apparently ascending. Ha.) and Casey was more of a zone player. Would you scrap your scheme for one player that didn't fit but the other 3 or 4 do/did? Again, this hurts because Shields got his career ending concussion in week 1 and then Randal started his implosion.

Randall
This is the closest to playing a person out of position your list has. On one hand, he was a college Safety, so it seems odd play him at CB. However, the college scheme he played under has a history of making the best DB on the team the 'Star Safety' that ends up playing a lot of man-to-man on the slot receiver. Yes, once it was clear he couldn't hack it, they should have tried moving him to safety or moving on from him a year sooner than they did, but 2015 sure made it look like he was going to be a pretty solid CB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hyde
Hyde ended up a better Safety than corner, no argument. But when he demonstrated that he was a better safety than corner, we had already drafted HaHa AND Hyde began the year as one of the starting safeties. He lost the job to rookie HaHa after game 7 or so. After that, he was used as the 3rd safety and nickel CB depending on the game plan and who was healthy. He flourished in Buffalo, but the decision to let him walk makes sense at the time. It just stings so bad because HaHa ended up washing out.

Hayward
Casey was a pretty solid CB, but again, it makes sense to let him walk. At the time, we had primarily press-man corners, had just extended Sam Shields, Randall was entering year 2 (apparently ascending. Ha.) and Casey was more of a zone player. Would you scrap your scheme for one player that didn't fit but the other 3 or 4 do/did? Again, this hurts because Shields got his career ending concussion in week 1 and then Randal started his implosion.

Randall
This is the closest to playing a person out of position your list has. On one hand, he was a college Safety, so it seems odd play him at CB. However, the college scheme he played under has a history of making the best DB on the team the 'Star Safety' that ends up playing a lot of man-to-man on the slot receiver. Yes, once it was clear he couldn't hack it, they should have tried moving him to safety or moving on from him a year sooner than they did, but 2015 sure made it look like he was going to be a pretty solid CB.
Great summary, and thanks for the reminder on the "reality" taking place when Hyde and Hayward were allowed to leave. With the subsequent play of Ha Ha and Randall, it ended up being the perfect **** storm. Ha Ha had one good year, and Randall never played up to his draft position and ended up, I think, in Cleveland.

The Packers have certainly struggled selecting CBs and Ss in the draft.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great summary, and thanks for the reminder on the "reality" taking place when Hyde and Hayward were allowed to leave. With the subsequent play of Ha Ha and Randall, it ended up being the perfect **** storm. Ha Ha had one good year, and Randall never played up to his draft position and ended up, I think, in Cleveland.

The Packers have certainly struggled selecting CBs and Ss in the draft.

No worries. It happens. We're all human and I don't trust memories. Least of all my own. (There was plenty of googling to confirm dates, I assure you.)

Had HaHa or Randall panned out OR had Shields not had the concussion, no one looks back on this period with any strife at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No worries. It happens. We're all human and I don't trust memories. Least of all my own. (There was plenty of googling to confirm dates, I assure you.)

Had HaHa or Randall panned out OR had Shields not had the concussion, no one looks back on this period with any strife at all.
Lets face it, except for Jaire, the Packers have kind of sucked when it comes to draft, develop and retain good DB's. I would throw Rollins in your list and most recently, you've got Jackson, King, Jones, Savage and Stokes. Some might say Savage wasn't a total bust and I would agree, but he also didn't play up to where he was drafted.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it, except for Jaire, the Packers have kind of sucked when it comes to draft, develop and retain good DB's.
I just think it's a hard position to draft for. CB tends to be drafted early because the good ones are rare. Safety is harder because what is asked of college players isn't what is asked of Pro players. I think it is analogous to what TEs have to go through.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Hyde

Hayward

Randall
Disagree.

There was more than one of us here that thought Hyde should've been a free safety on day one after the draft. Many here also assumed Randall would play safety.

Reaction score
I agree about the idea that Wilson is largely unproven. Although as someone else pointed out, keeping Dillon adds a security blanket if someone goes down. Plus how many RB’s are we going to roster, we already have 3. I don’t like the idea of parting with Dillon we’d be a little too light in continuity.
Now on the flip side, Dillon shouldn’t be counted on to be RB1 whatsoever that didn’t work. However he’s absolutely worked out well as a RB2 and he’d be a great 3rd option.
I still think he needs more balance usage in the short passing game. He’s got exceptional hands, he blocks well and he 100% ramps up his game in Postseason.

I’d skip FA at RB and get ONE in the draft though. The only reason I’d get 2 is if there’s a steal Rd7. Where we can stash on the PS.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree.

There was more than one of us here that thought Hyde should've been a free safety on day one after the draft.

So they tried that. Hyde broke camp his second year as a starting safety. He lost his job to Ha Ha around game 7.

Many here also assumed Randall would play safety.

Sure, but that doesn't immediately mean they played him out of position. He had most of the skills to succeed at either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it, except for Jaire, the Packers have kind of sucked when it comes to draft, develop and retain good DB's. I would throw Rollins in your list and most recently, you've got Jackson, King, Jones, Savage and Stokes. Some might say Savage wasn't a total bust and I would agree, but he also didn't play up to where he was drafted.
Thanks for the Rogue’s Gallery of the Packers mostly failed attempts drafting DBs. I had forgotten about Rollins, Jackson, and King. King was the most painful because of the TJ Watt miss.

Regardless, it’s a v poor track record.