Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At this point in time, it wouldn't surprise me if Gute is staying pat at Safety, unless he finds a great deal on one. Otherwise, he might be planning on filling the other starting safety spot through the draft or an after draft FA signing. Of course, there is always the chance that the Packers think Anthony Johnson can fill the spot. They may not want to commit any money to a guy like Ford, until after the draft. Since if they draft a couple of Safeties, they will want the roster spots for McKinney, 2 rookies, Johnson and whomever.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
At this point in time, it wouldn't surprise me if Gute is staying pat at Safety, unless he finds a great deal on one. Otherwise, he might be planning on filling the other starting safety spot through the draft or an after draft FA signing. Of course, there is always the chance that the Packers think Anthony Johnson can fill the spot. They may not want to commit any money to a guy like Ford, until after the draft. Since if they draft a couple of Safeties, they will want the roster spots for McKinney, 2 rookies, Johnson and whomever.
I think they will sign one more veteran, before all is said and done. My guess is after the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do they really have a lot of cap room? That would surprise me. I know they could re work a contract or 2 to create more space. I just thought that the 2 FA contracts cap space was minimal. Am I wrong?
Hmmm, I thought they still had like $16 mil in cap space, and that's after paying the upcoming draft class. But I believe the intent is to carry it to 2025 when Love's extension will kick in and more cap room will be needed.

Gluten may still make some small moves in FA. They're in this position because they deliberately took Rodgers' $40 mil dead cap hit last season. This is the first year since 2019 they've had cap space. That was the year they got the Smiths, Amos, and Turner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the only safeties left who are worth having are too expensive. Gluten did well with McKinney and Jacobs, probably spent too much on Nixon but it sounds like kickoff returns will be making a comeback with rule changes.

I just wonder how these FA deals come together so fast if they can't talk to the agents before the first day of "legal" tampering (that phrase cracks me up). I'm sure McKinney had many suitors, so how does that all get worked out in one day - actually in hours? Maybe it's because all the illegal tampering has already been done.......

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the only safeties left who are worth having are too expensive. Gluten did well with McKinney and Jacobs, probably spent too much on Nixon but it sounds like kickoff returns will be making a comeback with rule changes.

I just wonder how these FA deals come together so fast if they can't talk to the agents before the first day of "legal" tampering (that phrase cracks me up). I'm sure McKinney had many suitors, so how does that all get worked out in one day - actually in hours? Maybe it's because all the illegal tampering has already been done.......
I agree on the legal tampering thing but here's another way to look at it. Even though they can't contact the player or their agent they still have numbers in mind. Maybe a range they find acceptable. In most cases there are probably 2 or 3 teams interested in a given player. The clock strikes midnight and the teams call the agents and give them their numbers. The agent compares the numbers and makes the counter offers if required. Both sides have numbers in mind and I don't think it has to be all that time consuming.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They tried to sign a kicker, agreed to terms. But he backed out. Not sure who it was
Wasn't that a 24-hour period in which several teams all signed free agent kickers? Because if that's so, yeah.... it would be difficult to work out which one it was. I mean, if the day the deal fell through was the same afternoon such-and-such team signed so-and-so as a free agent, and that was the only one signed in that general period of time, it'd be fairly easy to sort out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on the legal tampering thing but here's another way to look at it. Even though they can't contact the player or their agent they still have numbers in mind. Maybe a range they find acceptable. In most cases there are probably 2 or 3 teams interested in a given player. The clock strikes midnight and the teams call the agents and give them their numbers. The agent compares the numbers and makes the counter offers if required. Both sides have numbers in mind and I don't think it has to be all that time consuming.
That makes sense. And it's hard to know when a guy will get tagged, so no point in putting in a lotta work other than a basic comp outline ahead of time. I'm not even sure a contract is signed that first Monday, just an agreement in principle, a commitment to finish a deal.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read Micah Hyde is a FA still.

He's 34 but I'd still take him on a veteran minimum.if possible.

Reaction score

I agree. While 1 argument is we “want to go younger”. In Win mode you should not be taking that approach at every position and player. Having a mixture of experienced leaders is best imo
We can look back to Both our 1996 and 2010 Superbowls to see clear evidence of a mixture of experienced players.
The other way we know how hard it is to have success with ALL young players? That stat about our team being the first team since the merger to win 1 playoff game with all these 1st and 2nd year players. Reading between the line..NO team have EVER advanced to a Conference Championship with ALL young players. Ever. That’s 12-14 teams times how many NFL seasons??
1 in over 700 playoff teams have ever won a playoff contest (‘23 Packers) It takes more than pure youth to be ultra successful. THAT is why we just went after multiple FA Veterans to both retain and upgrade using experience.
We’re not looking to keep older players long term. Sometimes it’s ok to get 1-2 seasons in order to plug needs. Especially if they are “Dillon like” contracts.
We need some “Easy out, low risk” alternatives over depending on a Day 3 draft pick or Undrafted player to win a starting role on a Super Bowl Championship caliber Roster.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His last 2 seasons have ended with neck injuries, with a serious surgery following '22 season. He is contemplating retiring & I'd encourage that if I were a friend.

Reaction score
His last 2 seasons have ended with neck injuries, with a serious surgery following '22 season. He is contemplating retiring & I'd encourage that if I were a friend.
I didn’t know this thanks.
Seems to be a recurring thing probably best to hang up the cleats.
He was a great player for us, wish he could’ve stayed in GB

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bizarre...considering he played 14 games in 2023 and was decent!

We don't want him as main Corner, but his experience will surely help as a backstop given the minimum wages.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article on Micah Hyde. I had no idea about any of this stuff and how much he meant to Buffalo - or that he was a 5th round pick!

If I remember, GB played him at CB when his best position was S. So he was an ok CB here and a great S in Buffalo. Seems like this happens with GB, mostly on defense where scheme is more important than talent. Or maybe the DC and the coaches just never saw it.

That was one of Barry's faults, making the players fit the scheme. Hopefully Hafley has more flexibility. And I'm not downplaying scheme, but we always hear about DCs' preferred schemes - 3-4, 4-3, zone, man, blitz heavy - when it seems to me it's better to put the players where they play best and adjust the scheme. That's probably what the best DCs are already doing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I did not know about Hyde's neck issues either. I hope he chooses the safe path and hangs it up. His contracts in the NFL have totaled over $50M, so as long as he has been halfway smart with his $20M or so of that, he should be set.

It's too bad, here I thought he would be THE guy to come in and really help the Packers secondary. A solid vet, familiar with Green Bay and perhaps one of the final pieces of the secondary to really make it formidable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not know about Hyde's neck issues either. I hope he chooses the safe path and hangs it up. His contracts in the NFL have totaled over $50M, so as long as he has been halfway smart with his $20M or so of that, he should be set.

It's too bad, here I thought he would be THE guy to come in and really help the Packers secondary. A solid vet, familiar with Green Bay and perhaps one of the final pieces of the secondary to really make it formidable.
Same here. He's been playing with fire with the neck issues. Seems like he's smart enough to know it's time to call it a career. Seems like a great guy.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Since the guys he did say he wanted to keep were not kept I figured the opposite could be true also.
He said he would like to keep Dillon, Wilson and Ballentine. Their all back. Jones they couldn't come to agreement with. I never heard the team mention they wanted Savage or Nijman.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article on Micah Hyde. I had no idea about any of this stuff and how much he meant to Buffalo - or that he was a 5th round pick!

If I remember, GB played him at CB when his best position was S. So he was an ok CB here and a great S in Buffalo. Seems like this happens with GB, mostly on defense where scheme is more important than talent. Or maybe the DC and the coaches just never saw it.

That was one of Barry's faults, making the players fit the scheme. Hopefully Hafley has more flexibility. And I'm not downplaying scheme, but we always hear about DCs' preferred schemes - 3-4, 4-3, zone, man, blitz heavy - when it seems to me it's better to put the players where they play best and adjust the scheme. That's probably what the best DCs are already doing.
Hyde was under the Capers regime. Imo Capers played Hyde, Raji, Randall and Heyward out of position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde was under the Capers regime. Imo Capers played Hyde, Raji, Randall and Heyward out of position.
I knew he played Hyde, Randall, and Hayward out of position - and that's frustrating because Hyde and Hayward had very successful careers once out of GB. How did he play Raji out of position? I thought Raji was the nose tackle.