Franchise tag on Bubba Franks?

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be good to do it. But they need to use him more,he is a good tight end. I think they will make Steele the 2nd tight end,and let Martin go free agent.He been here a while and I don't think he has done much. JMO.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
We've gotta keep Bubba. I've said before that he is an intagral part of our ground game. He's also very good in the red zone and has shown to be effective between the 20's when we use him. We don't have anyone to replace him, there's no one in free agency, and his franchise number would only be $2.6 million. At the very least we could put the transition tag on him which would cost just over $2 million. That would at least give us the chance to match any other offer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If they tag him maybe that's a sign they will use him more often in the coming season and realize they should have used him when they had the chance.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre returns I think it's important that the offense have as little turnover as possible. Even though Bubba's not utilzed enough, he and Favre seem to be on the same page most of the time. Brett's going to come back for one or maybe two more years. He doesn't need to be getting used to a new tight end.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Franks is the toughest call to make for Packer management. I like Wahle better as a player, but it seems like we have more options on the O-line if we lose Wahle or Rivera than we do at tight end if we lose Franks. I'd hate to have to overpay to keep Franks because I don't think he's an elite tight end, but I'd also hate to lose him because no one behind him has really proven himself. It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out. We might have to go 3 wides with Fergy, Walker, and Driver :D :wink:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree with Wahle being the better of the two players....

The problem is with the end date on Wahle's contract - shrewd agent trick, I'm thinking. It could be they're saving their money for Wahle.. at least it smells that way - the next two weeks will tell... after that, it's all Draft, guys! Ted Thompson time...

Oh, and don't forget, we have one other TE, besides Steele, waiting in the wings and he plays pretty much just like Bubba.... So, in some ways, Franks could be considered expendable...

What we don't have is someone available to replace Wahle, not yet anyway! He's rated as one of the top five in the League at his position.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Bubba Franks and he is important for the Packers. I think Wahle is a better player relative to their positions. I really would not pay Bubba Franks much more than he is getting paid now. I really do not see anyone else in the NFL paying much more than a million a year for Bubba Franks.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry and Steele are FAs this off season. Bubba has some value; he's a good blocker and an effective reciever in the Red Zone, but I don't think Farve trusts his route running. For whatever reason, Bubba just doesn't get a lot of balls thrown his way. That being the case, I can't see GB spending a lot of money on the TE position. I think the money could be better spent on a pure blocking TE. Sherman likes to move the TEs a lot and have them block out of motion so why not get a better blocking TE if that's what your going to primarily use them for? This type of TE would be much less expensive and allow GB to concentrate what little money they have on the DEF. Steven Alexander, Lions; Cam Cleeland, Rams; Dave Moore, Ken Dilger, and Dudley, Bucs; Lamont Hall, Aints; Brian Kozolwski, Skins; and Anthony Becht, Jets, are some of the more prominate UFA TEs available this off-season. Bubba is clearly the best TE available in FA and is unhappy w/ the way he's being used here. I doubt he'll sign for less to stay here.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
If we lose Wahle, but not Rivera, I think we would put Kevin Barry at OG.

They would probably put Grey Reugamer in Wahle's spot and keep Berry in the U-71 package. Kevin Berry had problems controling his weight this season, and Ruegamer is the more athletic of the two. Either way, unless one of them steps next year, it will be a sore spot in the line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts