Five knee-jerk reactions to Packers first training camp practice

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It makes the player wear an ugly red shirt that can’t be removed or washed for an entire season.

Seriously, it’s a term applied to college sports: A player saves a year of eligibility by red shirting. For example, a freshman who probably wouldn’t contribute to the football team can sit out for his first year (only practice with the team) and still have four years of eligibility left.

Are you new ??? :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently there are four teams having less dead money counting against the cap than the Packers (2.23% of the cap). I agree with the rest of the post.

thanks, I think mine may have been a 2014 stat, it was from an over the cap article with pie charts and to be honest I didn't look at every team. I just knew it was a lot lower than some of the other teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

thanks, I think mine may have been a 2014 stat, it was from an over the cap article with pie charts and to be honest I didn't look at every team. I just knew it was a lot lower than some of the other teams.

The Packers were 31st in the league in dead money last year and last in 2013. You're absolutely correct that Thompson and Russ Ball are really great in avoiding dead money.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The criticism of Abbrederis is strange and the durability questions aren't logical.... He made it through the Big Ten. ACLs are freak injuries and I don't think they have anything to do with durability. Abbrederis deserves a chance. Anybody suggesting TT bite the bullet and put him out to pasture without seeing more snaps isn't thinking straight.

I don't think physical injuries to his extremities were the main concern, it was the fact that most NFL people thought he had 3-4 concussions during his time at Wisconsin, even though he maintains that he only had one. Every concussion leaves you more susceptible to another; say he had 3 in college, this most recent one makes four and now you have to wonder if he gets another is his playing career over? Do the Packers want a receiver/returner who is one concussion away from ending his career taking up a spot on the roster? I don't know, I'm not trying to imply that I do. I'm simply saying that his history of head injuries is a relevant concern when looking at his future.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Gunter isn't fast enough to be a gunner.

Well I am not completely sure about that and I am aware of his bad 40 time showing at the combine. Even so, Randall most certainly is. The question was "who else could we use at "Gunner" other then Abby?"

I don't see it being Abbrederis with having strength and health issues.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well I am not completely sure about that and I am aware of his bad 40 time showing at the combine. Even so, Randall most certainly is. The question was "who else could we use at "Gunner" other then Abby?"

I don't see it being Abbrederis with having strength and health issues.

The Packers have used Jeff Janis and Demetri Goodson as the gunners on the #1 punt coverage unit during camp so far.

H

HardRightEdge

Rollins broke up a deep ball by Rodgers to Montgomery and gave up a 26-yard reception to White during yesterday's practice. He mostly rotated with Gunter as the dime corner.
Myles White making plays has been a daily theme in these camp reports. We've both expressed some cautious enthusiasm for his game in the past. In his third year in the program, perhaps he's polished his game sufficiently to put some money game value behind his pro day athletic measurables:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110940&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Compare and contrast to Abbrederis:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104903&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

While there has been considerable attention brought to Abbrederis' 4 lifts, I don't think I've previously noticed his 30.5" vertical jump or sub-10' broad jump, measurables that are equally below NFL standards. White posted 11 reps at 182 lbs. (he's now listed at 190 lbs.), 37.5" vertical, and 10' 1" long jump, combined with superior straight line speed and comparable quickness evidenced in the 3-cone and shuttle.

White's athleticism and stretch-the-field potential got buried once Janis showed up, but it never went away. Has Janis figured it out; will his hands prove to be a liability that cannot be surmounted?

Abbrederis' vertical in particular, which I don't think I've noticed before, is concerning in limiting his catch radius. He won't win any jump balls; back shoulders would be problematic; balls thrown a little high will fly free to the secondary.

Abbrederis' is the more polished receiver when comparing his college tape to what we've seen of White in the past. Abbrederis' combination of hands, route running and quickness out of breaks are not in dispute. But is it enough to move up in class?

My previous view of White is of a guy with NFL athleticism, puppy dog enthusiasm, lack of polish and hands something of an unknown. If he's added polish to his game, he'd be in the horse race.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers have used Jeff Janis and Demetri Goodson as the gunners on the #1 punt coverage unit during camp so far.

Well there ya go. I'd be surprised if Goodson makes final 53. I think Janis is firmly entrenching hinslef as the 5 and one of the gunner positions.

Lots of time to go so well see what happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well there ya go. I'd be surprised if Goodson makes final 53. I think Janis is firmly entrenching hinslef as the 5 and one of the gunner positions.

Lots of time to go so well see what happens.

Goodson is on every #1 special teams unit. With the renewed emphasis on ST I would be surprised if he doesn't make the 53.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Goodson is on every #1 special teams unit. With the renewed emphasis on ST I would be surprised if he doesn't make the 53.

That's great. We got family night and four pre-season games. Plenty of time for him to drop off the roster. Gunter will take his spot.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers have used Jeff Janis...as the gunners on the #1 punt coverage unit during camp so far.
That was an earlier suggestion of mine. He's got the speed, size and strength for the job. The question becomes: can he tackle? Bottom of the roster guys often make their case with a special teams value add.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Janis wouldn't get a serious look as the KO returner.

Here's another proposition:

There's the question of how is it that college DBs became DBs and not WRs? Often the answer is because they have bad hands. That transition is less likely in small college ball where the WR alternatives are limited. Then the question becomes does the WR with hands issues have an appetite for hitting people?

Being 2 years in the league, switching sides of the ball is probably insurmountable. However, if we see Janis blowing up guys on kick coverage, perhaps a light will go off, however dim. One never knows...there could besafety instincts hidden behind that supreme size/athleticism combo.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Myles White making plays has been a daily theme in these camp reports. We've both expressed some cautious enthusiasm for his game in the past. In his third year in the program, perhaps he's polished his game sufficiently to put some money game value behind his pro day athletic measurables:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110940&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104903&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

While there has been considerable attention brought to Abbrederis' 4 lifts, I don't think I've previously noticed his 30.5" vertical jump or sub-10' broad jump, measurables that are equally below NFL standards. White's 11 reps at 182 lbs, 37.5" vertical, and 10' 1" long jump, combined with superior straight line speed and comparable quickness evidenced in the 3-cone and shuttle.

White's athleticism and stretch-the-field potential got buried once Janis showed up, but it never went away. Has Janis figured it out; will his hands prove to be a liability that cannot be surmounted?

Abbrederis' vertical in particular, which I don't think I've noticed before, is concerning in limiting his catch radius. He won't win any jump balls; back shoulders would be problematic; balls thrown a little high will fly free to the secondary.

Abbrederis' is the more polished receiver when comparing his college tape to what we've seen of White in the past. Abbrederis' combination of hands, route running and quickness out of breaks are not in dispute. But is it enough to move up in class?

My previous view of White is of a guy with NFL athleticism, puppy dog enthusiasm, lack of polish and hands something of an unknown. If he's added polish to his game, he'd be in the horse race.

I'd take White "right now" over Abbrederis.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd take White "right now" over Abbrederis.
The thing about White is that he has the speed and sufficient vertical to play outside and is tough enough and quick enough for the slot. Versatility might work in his favor. I suspect he's more slot than wide out. There were a couple of plays that stick in my mind that are concerning. I don't recall if they were preseason or regular season, or against whom or when, but there were a couple of deep balls I found a little disappointing; one off his fingertips and one where his tracking angle to the ball looked a little off on an overthrow.

We need to see more.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The thing about White is that he has the speed and sufficient vertical to play outside and is tough enough and quick enough for the slot. Versatility might work in his favor. I suspect he's more slot than wide out. There were a couple of plays that stick in my mind that are concerning. I don't recall if they were preseason or regular season, or against whom or when, but there were a couple of deep balls that were a concerning; one off his fingertips and one where his tracking angle to the ball looked a little off on an overthrow.

We need to see more.

I agree. Definitely see him better utilized in the slot. He has had some problems getting off press coverage in the past.

Like you shared, need to see more. At least he is on the field.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While there has been considerable attention brought to Abbrederis' 4 lifts, I don't think I've previously noticed his 30.5" vertical jump or sub-10' broad jump, measurables that are equally below NFL standards. White's 11 reps at 182 lbs. (he's now listed at 190 lbs.), 37.5" vertical, and 10' 1" long jump, combined with superior straight line speed and comparable quickness evidenced in the 3-cone and shuttle.

That was a spot on read. Well done.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Very much agree. He could be the next Bush. Some of the posters here desperately need someone to take on the role of whipping boy now that Bush, Hawk and Brad Jones are gone. (Tic)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very much agree. He could be the next Bush. Some of the posters here desperately need someone to take on the role of whipping boy now that Bush, Hawk and Brad Jones are gone. (Tic)

They shouldn't have been whipping boys, there shouldn't be any whipping boys, we're not allowed to complain? Don't fully understand.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Nothing new for me. I thought Goodson should of got cut last year in favor of Jumal Rolle.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nothing new for me. I thought Goodson should of got cut last year in favor of Jumal Rolle.

Rolle is most likely a more talented cornerback than Goodson. If Demetri makes a significant impact on special teams though Thompson made the correct decision to hold on to him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
captainWIMM said:
Rolle is most likely a more talented cornerback than Goodson. If Demetri makes a significant impact on special teams though Thompson made the correct decision to hold on to him.

I'll believe it when I see it. They must see something in him but lets see how the next 5 weeks goes. My little side prediction is he doesn't make the 53.

H

HardRightEdge

You weren't the only one. That seemed to be more the consensus than the exception in these parts at the time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They shouldn't have been whipping boys, there shouldn't be any whipping boys, we're not allowed to complain? Don't fully understand.
In case you've got a short memory, Bush, B. Jones and Hawk were torn up really bad on a regular basis last year on this forum by multiple posters.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im extremely stoked to see good reports on randall. rollins and hayward have competition :) .thats good for a new secondary. richardson has come along too. that big frame is my prototype safety. chanceloresque potential on the depth chart. secondary will be raw early and dominant late.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hows the o and d lines look? the front of our d has me giddy. motivated raji... jones break out? guion better fresh? da beastly rookies... daniels numbers hit pro bowl status with help around him?
strategically, if i was an oc game 1...looking at the line and lb corps. i would attack the unknown secondary... giving our front 6 or 7 time to clean da house!!!
dline anyone?

D

Deleted member 6794

chanceloresque potential on the depth chart.

Not sure what you mean by that as none of our defensive backs is holding out for a better contract at the moment.

hows the o and d lines look? the front of our d has me giddy. motivated raji... jones break out? guion better fresh? da beastly rookies... daniels numbers hit pro bowl status with help around him?
strategically, if i was an oc game 1...looking at the line and lb corps. i would attack the unknown secondary... giving our front 6 or 7 time to clean da house!!!
dline anyone?

Guion (three games) and Jones (one game) are suspended for the start of the season. Aside of Daniels and Guion the Packers are lacking defensive linemen capable of stopping the run.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts