First Rounders...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many actual first round prospects do you have this year? <-- I love this discussion every year with others addicted to draft prep/scouting and such.

While it is still touch early for me to set anything in stone with a chisel I will say I'm comfortable declaring these prospects are or will 100% be on my 1st round list (barring injuries possibly or massively unique story breaks):

QBs - Stroud
RB - Bijan
WR - Jaxon Smith-Njigba
TE - Michael Mayer
OT - Paris Johnson / Skoronski / Broderick Jones

iDL - Carter / Bresee
EDGE - Anderson / Murphy / Wilson / Van Ness
CB - Gonzalez / Porter Jr / Ringo / Smith
S - Branch

Presently I have 18 locked in.

However, I'm deep diving further into these few that I feel are right on the cusp:

Darnell Washington TE - This is actually an addition to this possible list as late as last night....I spent some serious time watching this man work and I'll just say it, I think his best player comp is Marcedes Lewis when he came into the league. Even with Bowers at Georgia Darnell hauled in 28 receptions for 454 yards and 2 TDs this year. His career YPC average at Georgia is an astonishing 17.2 - which doesn't surprise anyone who watches his tape; yes he blocks like a light OT, but this man when called on illustrates an athleticism at 6'7' 270lbs that simply put shouldn't exist.

Josh Downs WR - He may be one of my favorite slot prospects in recent memory and honestly wouldn't argue with someone believing he has the traits and offerings to deliver so well at the next level to push him into a first round grade lock. Measurables may sway me too, but measurements I try to only let confirm things or separate late rounders...not the high ranking guys unless terrible.

Rashee Rice WR - I've shared before I think he may be my Michael Pittman level prospect crush this year. 6'3' 206lbs, has speed to kill you, footwork in his breaks to kill you, can work slot or outside and his hands are solid. There may be too much for me there to NOT slide him up to a first round grade.

Jordan Addison WR - I'll be honest he plays small IMO. Highly productive guy, but isn't physical enough for me despite production for me to see a guy I think for sure could produce WR1 level in his future. He's close though, and don't get me wrong I think you draft him he probably wins out our WR2 role maybe from Doubs (if roster doesn't add a FA), but it wouldn't be by a ton or could be more just a split style.

Cam Smith CB - He is the only CB I'm struggling with maybe not being a first round grade.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE - I struggle NOT falling in love with what this prospect may become. Arguably I only see Van Ness having a high ceiling than FAU truthfully, but he's also got a lower floor than all the guys I listed as 1st round locks...he's like the opposite of the prospect below with a VERY high floor but is nearly to his ceiling. Based on ceiling view alone Felix is a surefire 1st round...but that lower floor would make some heat felt from fans as he may not hit his stride till year 3.

Isaiah Foskey EDGE - As many remember I red circled this guy as a Packer in the first round....that was when I figured we'd be in the playoffs and closer to the 20th or later pick....and to be fair that was before college season hit its stride and a lot of film watching. Foskey is the opposite of Felix, as a day 1 walk in prospect I argue he may be the EDGE3 in this draft...but when you factor in him as a whole prospect and project, that's where I see his limitations. However, Foskey's tape really is a tale of two tapes...some games this man was seriously a wrecking ball against ELITE competition...but then also likes of Dawand Jones and Paris Johnson just flat dominated him.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify, by "First round prospects" do you mean like..."Guys I have a First Round Grade on" or more like "Guys who I think will end up drafted in the first round" ?

I'd be pretty close to this list if it's "First round grades," but if it's "Guys I think will be drafted in the first" then I would probably add both Young and Levis at QB, maybe even Richardson... Addison and Johnston at WR, Torrence at OG, Witherspoon at CB off the top of my head...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify, by "First round prospects" do you mean like..."Guys I have a First Round Grade on" or more like "Guys who I think will end up drafted in the first round" ?

I'd be pretty close to this list if it's "First round grades," but if it's "Guys I think will be drafted in the first" then I would probably add both Young and Levis at QB, maybe even Richardson... Addison and Johnston at WR, Torrence at OG, Witherspoon at CB off the top of my head...

The first statement. This list is only guys I have as first round prospects.

Example - QB Will Levis and Anthony Richardson don't sniff consideration for me personally as First Round Prospects (Grade) but will go in the first.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Guys I would BET SERIOUS MONEY for sure go in the first I'll list below:

QBs - Stroud/Young/Levis/Richardson
HB - Bijan
WR - Quinten and JSN
TE - Mayer
OT - Paris/Skoronski/Jones
DL - Carter / Bresee
EDGE - Murphy / Anderson / Wilson (I won't bet on LVN despite me believing it so much, he is more young and raw than most)
CB - Joey Porter Jr and Christian Gonzalez
S - Brian Branch

Reaction score
Guys I would BET SERIOUS MONEY for sure go in the first I'll list below:

CB - Joey Porter Jr and Christian Gonzalez
S - Brian Branch
While I’m not necessarily lobbying for a Safety. Brian Branch is someone I think will be a household name (for sports fans) in a couple seasons. He’s very likely an impact player in 2023 as long as he remains on the field. He’s also probably the best Run defending DB in this years draft, he’s not that big but he’s very aggressive and his short area burst is elite. After studying his film, Very few NFL QB’s are going to “juke” him and it won’t end well for the QB. I’d expect he translates to the NFL very quickly, which is a plus for us IF we stick with #12

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I’m not necessarily lobbying for a Safety. Brian Branch is someone I think will be a household name (for sports fans) in a couple seasons. He’s very likely an impact player in 2023 as long as he remains on the field. He’s also probably the best Run defending DB in this years draft, he’s not that big but he’s very aggressive and his short area burst is elite. After studying his film, Very few NFL QB’s are going to “juke” him and it won’t end well for the QB.

You are 100% right. If at our first pick he is on the board there are very very few players I expect will catch my eye more

Reaction score
You are 100% right. If at our first pick he is on the board there are very very few players I expect will catch my eye more
Also, we have been lacking in Run Defense and our Tackling was abysmal. Branch plays with his hair on Fire in run support and if he’s allowed some freedom to play closer to LOS it’s not IF or WHEN he’s going to TFL. It’s more who

I know we all talk about BPA/BAP? Yet part of going all in is getting position holes plugged that will help now verses waiting for several years on high “projection”

If you were to tell me you’d give me several position choices (outside QB) and they’d guaranteed make say..2nd team All Pro in 2023? (Trying to remain reasonable)
a dynamic Safety would be 1 of my Defensive picks. DT would be another

On Offense it’s TE. OT would be another. I really feel like that right side of the OL is lacking and it’s costing us hardship. I suspect someone will rise from our current investment group, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to have Paris Johnson Jr manning the other spot. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, we have been lacking in Run Defense and our Tackling was abysmal. Branch plays with his hair on Fire in run support and if he’s allowed some freedom to play closer to LOS it’s not IF or WHEN he’s going to TFL. It’s more who

I know we all talk about BPA/BAP? Yet part of going all in is getting position holes plugged that will help now verses waiting for several years on high “projection”

If you were to tell me you’d give me several position choices (outside QB) and they’d guaranteed make say..2nd team All Pro in 2023? (Trying to remain reasonable)
a dynamic Safety would be 1 of my Defensive picks. DT would be another

On Offense it’s TE. OT would be another. I really feel like that right side of the OL is lacking and it’s costing us hardship. I suspect someone will rise from our current investment group, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to have Paris Johnson Jr manning the other spot. ;)

Paris is my OL1

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@OldSchool101

Branch is one, but if Bresee falls to us I don’t want us to think twice unless a trade offer comes in to take. That man is freaking stud!!

I’d also understand taking any first round graded Edge

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated Now Post Tons of additional film / combine and further research:

Drop: Branch from first round grades
Add: Deonte Banks, Musgrave, Adetomiwa Adebawore

I also now in my predicted additionals to go in first round would add Nolan Smith, and Dawand

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first statement. This list is only guys I have as first round prospects.

Example - QB Will Levis and Anthony Richardson don't sniff consideration for me personally as First Round Prospects (Grade) but will go in the first.

Going by the Packers' method of drafting QBs, both those guys would have PLENTY of time to learn the mechanics of the position and I think Richardson has a solid shot of turning into Cam Newton (if he's given time to improve his throwing mechanics) who it turned out was a pretty good QB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going by the Packers' method of drafting QBs, both those guys would have PLENTY of time to learn the mechanics of the position and I think Richardson has a solid shot of turning into Cam Newton (if he's given time to improve his throwing mechanics) who it turned out was a pretty good QB.

Again I'm not saying they won't go in the draft. I don't see them as first round graded guys is all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want JSN or Darnell Wright

I don't have a first round grade on Wright but I do like him more personally than Dawand Jones. He's good!

JSN makes a lot of sense from elite athlete but also how he fits in with what we have so beautifully!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't have a first round grade on Wright but I do like him more personally than Dawand Jones. He's good!

JSN makes a lot of sense from elite athlete but also how he fits in with what we have so beautifully!

I don't have personal grades nor do I watch enough of these guys to grade them. Here's my take on Wright:

He is a natural RT-- no projection as to a position switch.

He's battle-tested; played against legit dudes in the SEC and performed really well.

He's well-rounded-- built like a run blocker but with pass pro feet.

He's a technician; flashes some advanced technique on tape and is highly intelligent on the mic.

He's a a great athlete. I wanted to see the agilities, but still.

Smart OL people like him a lot, e.g. Thorn and Zierlein.

Maybe I'll be surprised, but I can't see that NOT being a 1st rounder. If I had to pick a guy in this class to be a good, plug and play RT, it would be him. Tackle prospects often get dinged in the process if they don't show super nimble feet, but far more often rookie tackles fail because they are power deficient or lack technical refinement.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would LOVE it if the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers and immediately drafted a WR (JSN) in the 1st round. Would be a stellar troll.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would LOVE it if the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers and immediately drafted a WR (JSN) in the 1st round. Would be a stellar troll.

The Packers should better focus on winning another Lombardi Trophy instead of trolling their HOF quarterback.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts