Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I see Moss's name tossed around every few years or so, but I have to wonder if he'd really be the guy? I know he has an assistant head coach title, but I don't know that they guy has ever been in charge in anything more than linebackers going back a long ways.

I know he's well liked, but you'd think he'd have a change in responsibilities by now, grow that resume. Are these promotions in title only so he gets paid more and can't be just plucked away, or is really involved in more than just the linebackers?
I think some guys are topped out as position coach as there skill set is not conducive to being an effective coordinator. Just like some coordinators don't have the proper skill set to be effective head coaches.

H

HardRightEdge

I think some guys are topped out as position coach as there skill set is not conducive to being an effective coordinator. Just like some coordinators don't have the proper skill set to be effective head coaches.
Some topped out, some are too inexperienced.

That said, FC!

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the Jets are setting themselves up to tank by cutting their MLB Harris/about to release WR Decker. I expect them to fire their HC by Week 4. Why should Packers fans care? Because their head coach is a GREAT young defensive mind, and could be what we need to finally fix what alot of us see is wrong with the team.

Todd Bowles is a really good coach. I don't watch NY Jets games often, but what I have observed of them has not wavered my opinion of his defensive prowess/football knowledge. I think he took a HC job that was set up for him to fail, like alot of jobs in pro sports are. But let's not get into that. Let's focus on why GB should contact Bowles IMMEDIATELY about being the successor to Dom Capers as soon as New York gives him a pink slip. Check out this article:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015...ng-you-need-to-know-about-todd-bowles-defense

To me, in the short term, this is the perfect example of why Bowles is the guy. I know TC hasn't even started yet, but I'm pessimistic that our D has what it takes for us to win it all this upcoming season. With the offensive moves we've made in FA/draft, it's also apparent that our offense has the potential to be close to 2010-2011 production level. So, having a lackluster defense this year is gonna be glaring-and I think finally-unacceptable to Murphy and top brass. I think if we don't make it to the Super Bowl this season, Ted could be forced out/Eliot Wolf can remain as Director of Football Operations PLUS take over as GM. Wolf would need to hire someone that could improve the defense exponentially, so we can win it all in 2018. Bowles would be in my eyes one of the few men capable of pulling off such a feat. I think w/ a couple of savvy FA pickups on defense, and a draft where getting athletic EDGE rushers/pass rushers is emphasized early and often, we could give Bowles the tools to adapt to a defensive roster that does have secondary talent/put us in a position every week to matchup with our opponents and keep them under 24 points. By playoff time that would improve to under 20 points. If Bowles could lead the D to perform at such a level, regardless of how many yards they gave up/turnovers they forced, that'd be more than enough for us to be the best team in football with the offense we likely will put on the field for the next 3-4 years.

In the long term, Bowles could team up with Winston Moss and Joe Whitt, Jr. to form a stellar defensive coaching staff that would rival what MM does offensively. If we could keep all three around and happy for 3-4 years, we'd have the capabilities of going on an epic run that would allow Aaron Rodgers to put together a resume in championships that would match his play as an all-time great QB, cementing his legacy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that the Jets are setting themselves up to tank by cutting their MLB Harris/about to release WR Decker. I expect them to fire their HC by Week 4. Why should Packers fans care? Because their head coach is a GREAT young defensive mind, and could be what we need to finally fix what alot of us see is wrong with the team.

I agree that Bowles might be a smart choice to replace Capers when the Packers decide to move on from their defensive coordinator. Of course that is dependent on the Jets firing him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's only as good as what he's got to work with. injuries, perhaps personnel that can't run what he wants to run, tt's inactivity in free agency, have been a problem. if you trust tt and mm you CAN'T complain about capers. he's their man.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't trust the Packers organization across the board when it comes to defense.

Great at evaluating, drafting, developing, and coaching offensive players...

Defense is exactly the opposite.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't trust the Packers organization across the board when it comes to defense.

Great at evaluating, drafting, developing, and coaching offensive players...

Defense is exactly the opposite.
Why is that? Would Lovie Smith or Rex Ryan have as good an offense and as average questionable a defense with the same players?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is that? Would Lovie Smith or Rex Ryan have as good an offense and as average questionable a defense with the same players?
Probably not, but we have a well known defensive coordinator who used to be a head coach. McCarthy certainly seems to respect Capers. Maybe he is a brilliant schemer but for whatever reason isn't that good at developing players. I imagine the position coaches have more to do with developing anyway, so maybe they are suspect. Who picks the defensive position coaches, would that be McCarthy or Capers?

Or maybe Ted just isn't supplying enough talent. We certainly seemed short handed at corner last year. I know injuries played a big part in that, but we were thin to begin with (couldn't afford the injuries).

It seems to me though that there are some hard nosed defensive coaches who could get more out of the defense than we've been getting. Capers may be brilliant, but I can't help but notice some of the spectacular and historical defensive failures we've had under him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When have either of those coaches had anything even remotely close to Rodgers? They could just as easily be the current GB coach, receiving all sorts of accolades and praise, while their QB was just disguising the fact that they are completely average.

Ryan's team just did have the #1 rushing offense. How did that look for us and the offensive genius McCarthy last year?

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as really both Lovie Smith and Rex Ryan want to probably be head coaches or go into TV. Just really think that it is time for a change.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When have either of those coaches had anything even remotely close to Rodgers? They could just as easily be the current GB coach, receiving all sorts of accolades and praise, while their QB was just disguising the fact that they are completely average.

Ryan's team just did have the #1 rushing offense. How did that look for us and the offensive genius McCarthy last year?

Despite Ryan's better rushing offense, his team was no comparison offensively.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy definitely deserves a ton of credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback. I don't believe either Lovie or Rex would have been able to accomplish that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
McCarthy definitely deserves a ton of credit for developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback. I don't believe either Lovie or Rex would have been able to accomplish that.
I totally agree. McCarthy's job of developing and working in tandem with Rodgers is something that gets very little attention from fans and media. I just don't see how any other coach could have matched McCarthy's success in that regard.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just speculation. I watched Rodgers in college, and McCarthy is not the one responsible for his elite ability.

Looking at the other aspects of the team, they are annually average to below average on defense, in the running game, special teams, and very poor in clutch situations on defense. They lose games late, unless Rodgers has the ball in his hands. I'm hesitant to give a coach with the aforementioned qualities credit for being able to develop the most efficient QB of all time.
Despite Ryan's better rushing offense, his team was no comparison offensively.
Rodgers vs. Taylor. Switch the two QB s, and how are the two offenses looking now?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just speculation. I watched Rodgers in college, and McCarthy is not the one responsible for his elite ability.

Looking at the other aspects of the team, they are annually average to below average on defense, in the running game, special teams, and very poor in clutch situations on defense. They lose games late, unless Rodgers has the ball in his hands. I'm hesitant to give a coach with the aforementioned qualities credit for being able to develop the most efficient QB of all time.

Rodgers vs. Taylor. Switch the two QB s, and how are the two offenses looking now?

It's also just speculation to say McCarthy had nothing to do with Rodgers development.

It's pretty obvious Rodgers has improved dramatically from his first couple seasons. If he was as good then as now, there's no way he would have dropped to 24.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also just speculation to say McCarthy had nothing to do with Rodgers development.

It's pretty obvious Rodgers has improved dramatically from his first couple seasons. If he was as good then as now, there's no way he would have dropped to 24.
He fell due to concerns about his size and being a "system QB" who played for a guy who coached a bunch of NFL busts. Guys fall every single year due to the aforementioned concerns. And every QB in the history of the NFL improved dramatically over time.

When talking about the greatest QB s of all time, nobody says, "We have to give credit to the coach for developing him", because that's a load of crap. If you could take a guy and mold him into a great QB that easily, there would be a lot more elite QB s in the league. Instead, they rarely come around, despite all of the coaching in the world being at their disposal in order to get them to that level. He's a special player, and he would be on any team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And every QB in the history of the NFL improved dramatically over time.

I would question that, unless you meant to say "every GREAT QB....."

Not sure how you are making the jump to say McCarthy and the Packers system didn't have anything to do with Rodgers being where he is today, since.....he IS where he is today. Was some of it natural talent? Of course. But had the Cleveland Browns drafted Rodgers, would he be the great QB he is today? My money is on "no", maybe good, but the Packer coaches, system and the way Rodgers was brought along (studying under Favre) has to be considered a positive influence on Aaron Rodgers and the QB he is today.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would question that, unless you meant to say "every GREAT QB....."

Not sure how you are making the jump to say McCarthy and the Packers system didn't have anything to do with Rodgers being where he is today, since.....he IS where he is today. Was some of it natural talent? Of course. But had the Cleveland Browns drafted Rodgers, would he be the great QB he is today? My money is on "no", maybe good, but the Packer coaches, system and the way Rodgers was brought along (studying under Favre) has to be considered a positive influence on Aaron Rodgers and the QB he is today.
By your logic, there are no elite QBs, only QB whisperers. Every single historically great QB is a product of the team and coach who they played for. Got it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By your logic, there are no elite QBs, only QB whisperers. Every single historically great QB is a product of the team and coach who they played for. Got it.
I would say rather that most good quarterbacks need a good environment to thrive in. There have been many quarterbacks who had great college careers who did not do so well in the NFL. I'm sure some of that is on them, and some of that is on the way they were developed (and the talent around them).

Some people say that Brady made Belichick, but I think it's a mistake to ignore Belichick's influence. Similarly, I wouldn't say McCarthy has had nothing to do with Rodgers' success.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say rather that most good quarterbacks need a good environment to thrive in. There have been many quarterbacks who had great college careers who did not do so well in the NFL. I'm sure some of that is on them, and some of that is on the way they were developed (and the talent around them).

Some people say that Brady made Belichick, but I think it's a mistake to ignore Belichick's influence. Similarly, I wouldn't say McCarthy has had nothing to do with Rodgers' success.
It's impossible to ignore Belichick's influence because we see that they are still a very good team without Brady. They sliced up a couple of playoff teams with 2nd and 3rd string QBs, and only missed the playoffs in 2008 due to an anomaly of a season where 11 wins didn't even qualify for a Wild Card spot, and that was with a QB with little to no college experience, let alone professional. Without Rodgers, GB looked like the Browns.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't say speculation, it's just plain stupid.

McCarthy chose Smith over Rodgers in the draft. I would say this, if McCarthy stays in SF Smith may have developed into a great QB. If Lovie Smith took over the Pack and Coached up Rodgers, AR could be out of the league by now.

We all have had bosses who was great to work for and you learned a lot, and bosses who you didn't get along with and did nothing to advance or help your career. Sometimes just a personality thing, sometimes communication or other reasons. Football coaches are no different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts