Favre Interview

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
PackOne said:
Things I found interesting.

"I was told playing in Green Bay was NOT an option."

And what does he mean 'playing.' Because they said he can be a backup. Maybe Favre doesn't see backing up and playing as the same thing. So far...I fail to see how the team has lied.

They welcomed him back, but not as a starting qb. Maybe he meant "I was told starting in green bay was not an option." and to Favre that is one in the same, the guy hasnt been a backup in like 30 ****** years. So...what did he mean there.

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Ummmm, that statement was told to Brett by MM...

...by the same guy (Coach McCarthy) who told him in June that he still had time to make up his mind about retiring. Glad I could help you figure out that Brett lied.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fondypackfan said:
PackOne said:

According to Brett... NBC 26 in GB played a clip of a reporter from Appleton asking for an interview and his response was something along the lines of Ted and Mike do all the interviews. He really sounds extremely bitter about everything and thats its too bad because he made the choice and the Packers chose to move on. This really can't end well but he sure has done a great job of crapping on his current/former team.

TT had the one press conference, and Favre has now had this one interview. It wasn't a press conference, by the way. It was an interview with a bunch of softball questions lobbed at him.

Amazing Brett's to blame for that as well huh? I could swear Brett was the one answering questions. Should Brett have asked the questions to himself?

Just come out and "Brett is responsible for all that is wrong and unfair in the world"

What toughies did Ted Answer?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Technically, Brett is responsible for all this though. I mean, he did retire in early March. Ted and Mike were ready to bring him back on board towards the end of the March as starter and he jumped ship a second time in the same month.

Now, the Packers were forced to move forward without him and he's changed his mind.

I don't see how this is on the Packers.

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few reactions.

First, no one should judge the interview based on the news reports. You should watch it yourself, because Favre says a lot more than what the news stories are reporting.

Second, as always, Favre is a compelling personality.

Third, Favre made it clear that the Packers are trying to force him to retire. They do not want him to play for anyone. They do not want him to play for Green Bay because the franchise has moved on. They do not want Favre to play for anyone else either, because they don't want Brett to tarnish his legacy, or beat the Packers in a game, or embarass them by outplaying Rodgers.

Fourth, everyone has been spewing their venom at Thompson when Favre made it clear that McCarthy is just as culpable. According to Favre, McCarthy clearly was upset when Favre told him on June 20 that he was seriously thinking of coming back, and it was McCarthy, not Thompson, who told Favre that playing for the Packers was not an option, and that playing for anyone else was not an option. McCarthy said this without first consulting Thompson. You can't blame Thompson without also blaming McCarthy.

Fifth, more is coming tomorrow night. Favre is not finished telling his side of the story.

Sixth, giving the interview to Greta actually makes sense. Greta is close to Deanna. Greta, unlike a Peter King or Chris Mortensen, has no football agenda in talking with Favre. And, perhaps most importantly, Greta works for Fox, which is the network that has the rights to the NFC. Fox is sure to benefit from a Favre return, and Fox has a much larger viewership than ESPN. Favre was smart to go to the mainstream media, rather than the sports media.

Finally, everyone on this forum is making such a big deal about Favre supposedly flip-flopping in late March or early April. Keep this in mind, Thompson chose his words very carefully. And the reports did not say that Favre told the team he wanted to play. What Thompson said is that Campen reported to Thompson and McCarthy that Favre was thinking about playing. Thompson and McCarthy started making arrangements to go see Favre, not to officially welcome him back, but to discuss how a possible comeback might work. Before they made the trip, Favre told them he was staying retired. That is not the gross flip/flop that many people are making it out to be. (And in case anyone is now inclined to jump on me for saying this, go back and read the quotes from Thompson or any other Packers official carefully, without regard to any gloss or spin the reporter is providing in writing the story, and without embellishing the quotes yourself. There was smoke about a possible comeback, but no fire.)

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:

And what does he mean 'playing.' Because they said he can be a backup. Maybe Favre doesn't see backing up and playing as the same thing. So far...I fail to see how the team has lied.

They welcomed him back, but not as a starting qb. Maybe he meant "I was told starting in green bay was not an option." and to Favre that is one in the same, the guy hasnt been a backup in like 30 ****** years. So...what did he mean there.

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

We should go a couple of rounds for fun.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you guys really get the impression that Brett would be 100% dedicated to winning a Super Bowl with GB for all camp + 17 week regular season + playoffs?

I honestly didn't get anything close to that. He looks like a guy who was just told by his girlfriend that the relationship is over and now he's saying he'll change and be the perfect man if she just takes him back. It looks to me like Brett isn't 100% sure he wants to come back, but he knows if he waits any longer to decide he won't be able to. I'd be shocked if he came back and had a season like 2008 given what I've seen from him tonight.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched the video five times. Via my blog link. I suggest watching it if you haven't yet, or wait until it hits the youtube.

I am going to watch it one more time.

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a point that appears to need clarification. Favre did not say during the interview that McCarthy told him on June 20 that he could have until training camp to make up his mind. Favre said that McCarthy told him on June 20 that if Favre had said back in February that he needed until training camp to make up his mind, the Packers would have allowed that. Favre thought that was an odd statement for McCarthy to make during their June 20 call, given Favre's belief that the team was telling him in February that the Packers wanted an answer before the beginning of free agency.

In essence, Favre said during the interview that McCarthy said something on June 20 that was inconsistent with what the Packers had told him in February.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:
fondypackfan said:
PackOne said:

According to Brett... NBC 26 in GB played a clip of a reporter from Appleton asking for an interview and his response was something along the lines of Ted and Mike do all the interviews. He really sounds extremely bitter about everything and thats its too bad because he made the choice and the Packers chose to move on. This really can't end well but he sure has done a great job of crapping on his current/former team.

TT had the one press conference, and Favre has now had this one interview. It wasn't a press conference, by the way. It was an interview with a bunch of softball questions lobbed at him.

Amazing Brett's to blame for that as well huh? I could swear Brett was the one answering questions. Should Brett have asked the questions to himself?

Just come out and "Brett is responsible for all that is wrong and unfair in the world"

What toughies did Ted Answer?

1. He picked the interviewer, and he doesn't have to answer any questions he doesn't want to answer. Especially when the interviewer is a Packers shareholder.

2. I've never ONCE said this whole thing is solely Brett's fault. It's massive miscommunications on BOTH sides, and BOTH sides are handling it horribly. Neither side wants to compromise, therefore nothing is going to get done. I could care less how this whole thing turns out anymore. With or without Brett, I just want it to be over with.

3. TT actually admitted that this is beyond football. Favre acts like it's just about a good ol' boy who wants to play football, but it's more than that. It's people being tired of dealing with the will he/won't he dilema of the last few seasons. Asking for an answer in March is not unreasonable. They want to know what they need to prepare for in the draft. They would not have drafted two QBs this year if Favre had decided to stay. TT is big on the draft, so of course it would probably bug him if he wasted a draft pick. Is that a reason to not want him back? No, it's not, but I can understand why that would irritate TT.

Lets just get one thing straight. I'm a Packers fan. If Brett Favre is our starting QB on day one this season, I will root for him just like I've rooted for him the last 16 years. But, if he's not, I'll be rooting for Rodgers just as much. I honestly don't care anymore who our QB is. I just want it over with.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
part two

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, 4 the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

And none of those had anything to do with me retiring once again but, you know, it’s hard 4 me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason 4 the release” Favre said of his request to be released by the Packers to pursue other opportunities. “Not only was I told that playing here was not an option, we’re moving on — it’s kind of in their company line, moving on. That’s OK.”

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
part two

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, 4 the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

And none of those had anything to do with me retiring once again but, you know, it’s hard 4 me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason 4 the release” Favre said of his request to be released by the Packers to pursue other opportunities. “Not only was I told that playing here was not an option, we’re moving on — it’s kind of in their company line, moving on. That’s OK.”

Why was Brett trying to play general manager? Did he want to be in the war room too?

I think everyone on the team wants the best players, but if its not a fit(for whatever reason) its not a fit, and above all, not your call.

I continue to lose respect for Brett, and this saddens me. Yes, I know he doesnt care if I respect him, blah blah blah.

He continues to point fingers yet doesn't make a definitive decision as to what he wants. Awesome.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
part two

Why was Brett trying to play general manager? Did he want to be in the war room too?

I think everyone on the team wants the best players, but if its not a fit(for whatever reason) its not a fit, and above all, not your call.

I continue to lose respect for Brett, and this saddens me. Yes, I know he doesnt care if I respect him, blah blah blah.

He continues to point fingers yet doesn't make a definitive decision as to what he wants. Awesome.

Tromz read it again..He said THAT didnt make him retire

Ted told him one thing then would tell media and public something totally different

It was being lied to to that ticks him off

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
longtimefan said:
part two

Tromz read it again..He said THAT didnt make him retire

Ted told him one thing then would tell media and public something totally different

It was being lied to to that ticks him off

I wasn't talking about it being why he retired.

I was talking about him taking a very active role in a position that isn't his. Trying to get this guy, get those guys, keep these guys. Isn't that why we have a GM? To make these decisions?

And ok, Thompson said Favre didn't try to get Moss(link?) apparently. I doubt Thompson will respond to this aspect, but I'd like to hear his answer. Was he trying to save face and make it look like his HoF QB wasnt overstepping his boundries, while doing so, making them both look foolish?

Something like "Brett wasn't actively trying to bring Moss here...and therefore doing my job which I think I'm doing very well thank you very much..."

You know, a term thats been used a lot this week, "damage control."

Favre needs to go away now.

Traded before the week is over is still my guess.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
part two

I think I will take the IronMan route and skip it all tomorrow. (doubtful but a good thought)

It's hard to listen to Brett. The whole thing sucks. It's hard to listen period. It was really hard to have to listen to FuzzNuts in the lounge tonight.

Thanks for the post longtime. Very interesting indeed. Although lobbying for a coach or player wasn't really his job, the whole give up salary to accommodate is fairly significant.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they didn't resign Rivera.......he was given a boatload of cash, and was physically done the next season. Wahle i would have liked to have signed. He was still healthy.
But it still boils down too.......the GM is responsible to put who HE wants on the field. The players can give their opinions, but the boss makes the decisions.
Whether TT "lied" to Favre or not shouldn't really matter. Favre was under contract, and should just be concerned with his own job, not that of the GM. If he would have kept his nose out of that end of the business, none of this rift between them would have happened.
Thats how i feel at least.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they didn't resign Rivera.......he was given a boatload of cash, and was physically done the next season. Wahle i would have liked to have signed. He was still healthy.
But it still boils down too.......the GM is responsible to put who HE wants on the field. The players can give their opinions, but the boss makes the decisions.
Whether TT "lied" to Favre or not shouldn't really matter. Favre was under contract, and should just be concerned with his own job, not that of the GM. If he would have kept his nose out of that end of the business, none of this rift between them would have happened.
Thats how i feel at least.

I love you, cheesey.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:

I find it interesting to considering TT just said he can compete for the starting role, or be a backup, or [enter some damage control statement]

If that was indeed an official TT offer my take is that the interview was recorded prior.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
PackOne said:

I find it interesting to considering TT just said he can compete for the starting role, or be a backup, or [enter some damage control statement]

If that was indeed an official TT offer my take is that the interview was recorded prior.

Elaborate ...

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love it. That made me laugh hard. Can i be the leader of your fan club please? Keep the faith.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the Packers don't force him to stay retired like what the Lions did with Barry Sanders. Both Green Bay and Favre are kind of being stubborn. Favre wants a release and the Pack want him to stay retired. The middle is a trade. They need to compromise. I hope this happens now for the sake of everyone involved.

I would love for the Packers to take him back. I don't think that is going to happen any longer though but I guess there is always hope.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts