Favre and Rodgers

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am some what confused with the situation.

Favre recently stated that he could play longer than this next season.

If he plays "five more years" as the fans over the weekend were chanting, where does that put us with Rodgers? Favre could do it, but than Rodgers is an expensive back up?

If Favre plays for 1 or 2 more years that would be a perfect time table for Rodgers' growth. But Favre would only be 36/37. He could realistically play until 38/39. That would be 3 to 4 years into the Rodgers contract. There is also no guarantee Rodgers will work out.

Are we heading for a QB train wreck or will the Packers organization and Favre work something out. It sure seems as if Favre and the Pack were not clear on a time table at the time of the draft.

Maybe I am thinking too much.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
If Favre plays for 1 or 2 more years that would be a perfect time table for Rodgers' growth. But Favre would only be 36/37. He could realistically play until 38/39. That would be 3 to 4 years into the Rodgers contract. There is also no guarantee Rodgers will work out.

Are we heading for a QB train wreck or will the Packers organization and Favre work something out. It sure seems as if Favre and the Pack were not clear on a time table at the time of the draft.

Maybe I am thinking too much.

It's good to think that way actually, I've thought the same thing. What's important is, if Favre retires we're covered. If we keep Rodgers on the bench, I'm sure we can trade him, maybe not get a 1st round pick back, but get something of value. Some team will take him knowing he learned some things under brett favre.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd actually rather see Favre retire after "next" year.... at the end of the 2006-07 Season.
At the same time - I'd like to see Favre actually request to sit down during the game (at times) and allow Rodgers some time in the field of battle... much like what Nall was able to get last year, as well. Only after that, are we gonna see if he has the right stuff or just another case of "happy feet"... ala Peyton Manning!

I think it is imperative that we get Rodgers as much time on the field as possible - especially since he is a 1st round draft pick whereas the others are NOT! We need to see that he gels with the Offensive Line as quickly as possible... While I don't wish it - with age comes the higher opportunity... for injuries (Brett Favre, that is).... and I'd like to see Rodgers able to pull off some major success... right there and then! That would be something the pundits are naysaying at this point... I'd like to make liars out of all of 'em!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good QB is rare. Milk Favre for everything he has got. If he says he wants five more years, the organization should abide. Mediochre QBs come and go, I wouldn't panic if Rodgers doesn't work out, there will be another one soon enough.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good QB is rare. Milk Favre for everything he has got.
Miskito I am surprised that you would like to see Favre hanging around any longer as he does own your team :lol: but I have to agree with you. The team has to keep him as long as he will stay and be productive. How many first round picks turn out to be flops? Tons of them so I don't see where the team can base anything other than the cost of Rodgers on him being a first round pick. Maybe Nall is the diamond in the rough maybe not. But lets all remember Favre wasn't a first rounder.

Later
Leopardmech

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you, Leopard, the day Favre retires, me and about 3 million other people in this town will have a grand party. We know that Favre has owned us. We don't deny that. Sometimes, though, it takes a fan from a team that has had multiple QBs since Favre started in GB to see how unique a player #4 really is. Hold on to him!

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you, Leopard, the day Favre retires, me and about 3 million other people in this town will have a grand party. We know that Favre has owned us. We don't deny that. Sometimes, though, it takes a fan from a team that has had multiple QBs since Favre started in GB to see how unique a player #4 really is. Hold on to him!

I hear you Miskito.....It doesn't seem that long ago that the Pack were going through thier lean years and the Bears were playing great. Your time has to come again someday....I just hope not to soon.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers may not pan out...or be a flash in the pan..

Favre is a HOF QB...!

What else can you say?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
A good QB is rare. Milk Favre for everything he has got. If he says he wants five more years, the organization should abide. Mediochre QBs come and go, I wouldn't panic if Rodgers doesn't work out, there will be another one soon enough.
Sorry Bearfan - gotta disagree....

I think Rodgers has the right stuff - he just needs to get his hands dirty....
With Favre hanging around - he'll jump ship after "year two" with Favre hanging on like some immortal... And, I'd rather he stepped away with no egg on his face - Montana did pretty much that at age 38 in KC - Favre deserves better... I just hope we get lucky enuf to bring Lombardi home one more time before he does leave... Brett Favre is every much as good as John Elway - actually, I think he's better... He's just had to put up with bad coaching decisions at the peak of two specific games.... first Holmgren with Denver in 1998, and then with Sherman/Rossley in Philly (2003).... How many other 3xMVP's do you know of in the NFL?

Rodgers will do just fine - just let the man drive for change....
Hate to see him go the way of Hasselbeck.... Aaron is of the mindset that Green Bay relishes... let's take some enjoyment from that... None of the other Qb's have spoken out like he has in his first few months... not even Craig Nall.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Rodgers may not pan out...or be a flash in the pan..

Favre is a HOF QB...!

What else can you say?
Based on this comment (and no offense here).... Let's ALL go back and review Brett Favre circa 1993 and 1994 --- seriously... go back and review. Only until "after" 1995, did we really understand we had a HOF QB in our midst and with Mike Holmgren being the HC running roughshod over him in the process... well, this was exactly why.... If you watch the Favre (book) DVD - he outright admits it.

There's no way you can diminish Aaron Rodgers at this point of his career...

NONE.....!

Don't forget as well - WE HAD REGGIE WHITE!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might we see down the road, then, in two or three years, Brett Favre in another colored jersey? It might get interesting if Favre does not want to retire, what will the Packers do? I know that a lot is speculation, but if Rodgers shows that he has at least some NFL talent AND Favre doesn't want to retire, what will happen? I'm sure a lot of teams wouldn't mind trying to woo him over.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ryan Leaf was a first round draft pick as well...don't forget that!

(I agree with you about Favre having to put up with terrible coaching decisions and game planning between Sherman and Rossley...P.U....)

(Pack defense in Denver SB...was fat, tired and old..and couldn't stop T. Davis..as well)

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I think Rodgers has the right stuff - he just needs to get his hands dirty....
With Favre hanging around - he'll jump ship after "year two" with Favre hanging on like some immortal... And, I'd rather he stepped away with no egg on his face - Montana did pretty much that at age 38 in KC - Favre deserves better... I just hope we get lucky enuf to bring Lombardi home one more time before he does leave... Brett Favre is every much as good as John Elway - actually, I think he's better... He's just had to put up with bad coaching decisions at the peak of two specific games.... first Holmgren with Denver in 1998, and then with Sherman/Rossley in Philly (2003).... How many other 3xMVP's do you know of in the NFL?

Rodgers will do just fine - just let the man drive for change....
Hate to see him go the way of Hasselbeck.... Aaron is of the mindset that Green Bay relishes... let's take some enjoyment from that... None of the other Qb's have spoken out like he has in his first few months... not even Craig Nall.

I'm not even going to factor Favre's retirement date into my theory...no matter when he decides to go...Brett Favre needs to outlast Mike Sherman. If Aaron Rodgers starts at QB with Mike Sherman, Rodgers will be out of the league in a hurry...Mike Sherman's passing game plan consists of..."ok guys run downfield, Brett's gonna throw it, lets hope you catch it"...Sherman doesn't use his tight ends unless its inside the five yard line, Rodgers would have to make too many critical decisions right off the bat, I think it would be a train wreck.

I dont know who succeeds Mike Sherman (and I hope to god his contract isn't renewed), but he's gotta have a better look at offense than Sherman.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good posts Moskito, we need to be careful what we wish for. How many teams thought they had "the QB of the future" covered, only to find out they had only a journeyman or a bust. If Rodgers play is outstanding when he gets the chance and Brett is still playing to a high standard and wants to play more, than we have something of value to trade. If Brett retires,hopefully we have our QB of the future, but I'm not counting on it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Sherman doesn't use his tight ends unless its inside the five yard line, Rodgers would have to make too many critical decisions right off the bat, I think it would be a train wreck.
This strategic planning - called the Tiger Offense (I believe) by Holmgren and Co - was the main stalwart of the 95-96 Teams.... Chewey was all over the place and never left guarded very often.... and these days almost all of the Teams have gotten away from using that style of Offense - which is more the shame - it worked real well...

It wouldn't hurt for Sherman to review and add to his repertoire on the field
- Course, Rossley may have a hard time keeping up.... :roll:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doug Flutie is not the type of QB Green Bay is looking for....
In this day & age - he'd get killed -- even the O-Line would lose track of him....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts