F>R's 2020 Mock Draft Thread (Final Mocks Page 16)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm gonna die laughing from your response I'm sure. But here's the be-all-end-all response that the talking heads like to use:

"He's a football player...."

Jefferson just wins when the ball's coming his way. I get it isn't **** and he doesn't have the over the top measureables; and I suspect he'll place in the middle of the pack at the Combine, but he's a guy you're going to get everything out of. In the terms of Reagor, and to a lesser degree Aiyuk, they may have higher ceilings than Jefferson. To me however, Jefferson is a guy you get guaranteed immediate production from Day 1. Reagor and Aiyuk might eventually outpace Jefferson, but it's in Year Three or maybe Year Four....or maybe never. With Aaron Rodgers being on the wrong side of 35, I'll take Jefferson who might can help us get a title sooner than later.

Obviously that response doesn't do anything for me. I'll leave it at that.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry F>R but I'm gonna have to agree somewhat with Dantes on this on per Jefferson. I like Jefferson but the more I watch his game he doesn't wow me but he is reliable. great reliable hands, average speed, agility and but poor route running. Just not for first or second round. TBH I like the other "bro" (Van) Jefferson and KJ Hill more, both who are better route runners, faster and just as reliable hands. However sometimes, reliable is all we need.

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly the way my board was shaking one could go elsewhere (maybe a TE) in that 3rd round if were assuming ILB was handled in FA like I posed and for sure that 4th pick would change should we add a 3rd or 4th option guy in FA at CB.
Anyone after 5th round is a cr@pshoot tbh. But I enjoy finding late round gems.
I really cannot understand the first round buzz for Jefferson. I've watched him more than any other prospect in this class trying to figure it out. He's a big slot who has good ball skills. I don't see plus route running, separation, yards after catch ability, deep speed, or anything else that would make him a desirable prospect. I am not exaggerating when I say I think there will be better receiver prospects on the board at #62.

I think Jefferson ran three routes all game vs Georgia (SEC championship game 2019). Slot slat, fly and screen.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Anyone after 5th round is a cr@pshoot tbh. But I enjoy finding late round gems.

I think Jefferson ran three routes all game vs Georgia (SEC championship game 2019). Slot slat, fly and screen.

Yes, I was surprised by how simple his route tree was for them. A lot of his catches were manufactured.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jefferson argument is a valid one, and honestly is one reason I chose to go Reagor instead in my mock. Boiled down what you have in Jefferson is a low ceiling point which is much higher than many of the others, and his unknowns IMO are less. Likewise his high ceiling point I suspect is not nearly as close as the others have for sure. Which is why it is a quandry that none of us make enough to decide between outside forums...do you pick a more sure thing or a possible boom/bust type pick. This is analyzing Reagor, Aiyuk and Jefferson in a vacuum but I truly feel Aiyuk has the greatest potential top ceiling wise out of the three...but starts at the lowest IMO.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roster to me necessitates we go Jefferson over Reagor and Aiyuk. We've already got guys in MVS and ESB who will for sure carryover into next year, who are "high ceiling" guys as well....but will they ever realize it though? You get Reagor or Aiyuk and we end up in the same situation then what? Rodgers will be praying they have it together by the time he's 39-40.

But Jefferson helps us TODAY. He's not the same athlete but he's going to make plays THIS YEAR. We needed a #2 WR LAST YEAR. Don't make Rodgers wait another 2-3 years for it. (Talking hypothetically to Gute of course).

If Gute takes either Reagor or Aiyuk, I hope there's a Sammy Watkins or Robby Anderson signing to accompany the selection.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The roster to me necessitates we go Jefferson over Reagor and Aiyuk. We've already got guys in MVS and ESB who will for sure carryover into next year, who are "high ceiling" guys as well....but will they ever realize it though? You get Reagor or Aiyuk and we end up in the same situation then what? Rodgers will be praying they have it together by the time he's 39-40.

But Jefferson helps us TODAY. He's not the same athlete but he's going to make plays THIS YEAR. We needed a #2 WR LAST YEAR. Don't make Rodgers wait another 2-3 years for it. (Talking hypothetically to Gute of course).

If Gute takes either Reagor or Aiyuk, I hope there's a Sammy Watkins or Robby Anderson signing to accompany the selection.

I reject the idea of Jefferson being more ready to help. Why? What makes his ball skills more ready to help the offense than Reagor's play-making skills? That seems artificial to me. The argument that he is a more pro ready player doesn't hold water. He isn't a significantly more refined route runner and he didn't play in a significantly more "pro style" offense.

I also don't buy the idea that Reagor or Aiyuk would be more of the same compared to MVS or ESB. This offense lacked, more than anything, playmaking skills. Petals loves the screen game and wants to use it. The Packers have almost no players on the roster who are dangerous in that aspect of the offense-- including MVS and ESB. Reagor and Aiyuk are most notable for their abilities to make plays with the ball in their hands.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Petals loves the screen game and wants to use it. The Packers have almost no players on the roster who are dangerous in that aspect of the offense--

This is a reason Reagor, Hamler, Aiyuk I think MLF would love to have. I believe it is why Tyler Ervin will be a point of discussion and targeted in resignings. MVS is a pure burner, not a playmaker. Reagor and Hamler and Aiyuk fit that role better than any WR presently on our roster....well not Adams, but not many in the league are better than him in most things.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We don't have any YAC guys on the roster. None.

Jefferson doesn't do much there either. And by much, I mean anything. Reagor and Aiyuk, obviously do. We need that.

I'd still love to somehow come away with Hamler and Denzel Mims, but I don't see how to make it happen. Trade down from 30, I guess.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We don't have any YAC guys on the roster. None.

Jefferson doesn't do much there either. And by much, I mean anything. Reagor and Aiyuk, obviously do. We need that.

I'd still love to somehow come away with Hamler and Denzel Mims, but I don't see how to make it happen. Trade down from 30, I guess.

You've have to move down from #30 to take Hamler and then either take Mims at #62 or move up from #94 if he started to slide.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jefferson is a very good slot WR who can't defeat press coverage. He might become a very good WR in the NFL but he's a very limited WR right now; go read the PFF article that discussed how heavily LSU relied on him playing the slot this year to get away from press coverage.

I would be ecstatic if the Packers ended up with Reagor and I'd be happy with Aiyuk, though not as happy. Reagor would bring an element of speed and athleticism to the receiving group that they lack at the moment and he's already proven he can handle press coverage better than Jefferson. If Reagor has played with a QB anywhere near the quality of Burrow during his time at TCU he would be much higher up draft boards. Packers have a bigger WR in Adams and adding a smaller (but not small), lightning fast guy like Reagor in the draft would be terrific.

And counting on ANY rookie WR to make a big impact next year is fool's gold, rookie WRs still generally take a few years to make an impact in the NFL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And counting on ANY rookie WR to make a big impact next year is fool's gold, rookie WRs still generally take a few years to make an impact in the NFL.

I think this needs elaborated upon however to truly say one way or another. To me if a rookie can come in and deliver 500 yards, around 50 receptions and 5 TDs count me satisfied....bump that to 600, 60 and 6 and I'm TICKLED!!!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've have to move down from #30 to take Hamler and then either take Mims at #62 or move up from #94 if he started to slide.

I would do that.

Mims is going to be a "riser" to some people though. He's got real speed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would do that.

Mims is going to be a "riser" to some people though. He's got real speed.

Totally. But there are too many receivers in this class for someone not to slide. It might not be Mims, but it will be someone.

13 receivers went in rounds 1-3 this last year. There are probably 20+ top 100 receiver talents in this class.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this needs elaborated upon however to truly say one way or another. To me if a rookie can come in and deliver 500 yards, around 50 receptions and 5 TDs count me satisfied....bump that to 600, 60 and 6 and I'm TICKLED!!!

Oh, 500 yards is very possible, even 600 yards. However, MVS had 450 yards last season and was off the field by the end of the year. I'm not saying that 500-600 yards is bad (it's excellent), just that I don't think a 600 yard WR is going to make a sizable difference to the offense. I feel like many posters are envisioning AJ Brown or Terry McLaurin when they discuss the Packers getting a rookie starter at WR.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, 500 yards is very possible, even 600 yards. However, MVS had 450 yards last season and was off the field by the end of the year. I'm not saying that 500-600 yards is bad (it's excellent), just that I don't think a 600 yard WR is going to make a sizable difference to the offense. I feel like many posters are envisioning AJ Brown or Terry McLaurin when they discuss the Packers getting a rookie starter at WR.

Oh for sure, and don't just look at the yardage...the reception totals IMO display someone's contribution more than anything with a mixture of yards per catch. MVS is a large chunk or nothing type receiver right now. A receiver that produces 500 yards on 20 catches IMO makes a much smaller impact than a receiver that has 500 yards, 50 receptions typically. To put it in perspective Jamaal Williams had more receptions than our second leading WR in receptions...and our Top 4 players in receptions included only one WR.

That is something I don't want to see happen again. I am a firm believer your 2nd on the depth chart RB should not beat out the #2 WR and the #1 TE for receptions in a year....just my feelings. Give me ANY receiver (could be someone presently in the WR room already) in 2020 that breaks 40 receptions (only Davante and AJ did that in 2019) we are looking to be in a better situation.....give me a WR not named Davante to break 50 receptions and I'll BE ECSTATIC!!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh...I put next to no weight on this since it isn't from anyone directly linked to his camp, just Bartkowski staying in the news. Should Burrow do this....honestly I wouldn't blame him.

To be honest, to me he said out loud what everyone is already thinking.

If the Dolphins can trade to 1st Overall and grab him, that would be the best for EVERYONE involved, and when I mean everyone, I mean the entire league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, to me he said out loud what everyone is already thinking.

If the Dolphins can trade to 1st Overall and grab him, that would be the best for EVERYONE involved, and when I mean everyone, I mean the entire league.

Oh for sure. Honestly, if the Dolphins see him as many do they have the draft equity and in this draft I feel the Bengals would be DUMB to not take a couple firsts and whatever else they could grab for their pick. Build that team around a cheaper resigned Dalton on a family friendly deal and grab one of the other 3 QBs in this year's draft and see what happens. However the Bengals don't make great player decisions...so.....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean let's say for argument sake the Bengals would take even JUST Miami's 5th and 18th in the FIRST, and...let's say a 3rd or 4th as well. Many are saying it would take more but I honestly think the Bengals organization TRULY should take such an offer from Miami.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting bored. Wish the Pack would do SOMETHING, even if its just filling an empty coaching position. S-O-M-E-T-H-I-N-G ! ! ! ! !

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean let's say for argument sake the Bengals would take even JUST Miami's 5th and 18th in the FIRST, and...let's say a 3rd or 4th as well. Many are saying it would take more but I honestly think the Bengals organization TRULY should take such an offer from Miami.

What would really be our dream scenario is after Miami takes Burrow 1st Overall the RAIDERS trade Carr and their 2 picks to jump into the Top 5 and take Herbert!!!! Then we watch the carnage as teams dogpile on Tua. PANDEMONIUM!!!!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would really be our dream scenario is after Miami takes Burrow 1st Overall the RAIDERS trade Carr and their 2 picks to jump into the Top 5 and take Herbert!!!! Then we watch the carnage as teams dogpile on Tua. PANDEMONIUM!!!!

I do personally feel this draft is setting up to have some shuffling around trade wise for sure. I keep eyeing that 26th pick of the Dolphins given their equity this draft as a spot Gute may have on his mind if he sees a specific player not getting picked. While it may not be a huge swing from 30 to 26....if the right guy is HIGH on our draft board and he makes it to there, I could easily see Gute try and make that happen.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do personally feel this draft is setting up to have some shuffling around trade wise for sure. I keep eyeing that 26th pick of the Dolphins given their equity this draft as a spot Gute may have on his mind if he sees a specific player not getting picked. While it may not be a huge swing from 30 to 26....if the right guy is HIGH on our draft board and he makes it to there, I could easily see Gute try and make that happen.

I can only see him jump for Murray or Queen, but I don't think they last past 24th. While I have continuously defended Jefferson, we have two many holes to jump up and cost us on the back end. I'll accept Reagor, Aiyuk, etc no matter what.

Latest posts