F>R's 2020 Mock Draft Thread (Final Mocks Page 16)

D

Deleted member 6794

I probably wouldn't object to that, but I wonder what Rodgers would think of it. And I wonder if his experience with Favre would color how he handled it.

Rodgers should be smart enough to realize that the Packers will have to start looking for his replacement at some point. I'm all but certain he wouldn't like it though.

The more winning we do, the more Tua is out of our reach. I fully expect him to be a Top 15 pick anyway. Anyone not named Dylan Moses I can't see Gute taking who was previously thought of as a Top 5 or Top 10 prospect.

Tagovailoa could be available for the Packers in the first round depending on his recovery from a devastating hip injury. There's even a small chance he doesn't even declare for the draft.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not bad, but as talented as Tua is that would send a message to the team and the fans that we're not trying to contend for a Super Bowl right now. I'm not sure why you would mock a Safety in the 3rd round after Savage and the signing of Amos.

I didn't set the list of NEEDS on the mock, the sim did that's why we get another S and another CB in this draft.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Gute can hit on 50% of his picks in 2020, we might see a 2nd-4th Rounder on a QB in 2021. If not, I could easily see a veteran QB as a stop gap, while he drafts QBs for the next 2-3 years until we can develop one.

Once you get past Nate Stanley who is a projected 4th there's nothing there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is "upside down" on AR's contract thru the 2020 season, after that there would be cap savings IF he were cut/retired. Boyle is under contract thru the 2020 season. I think Gute won't be taking a QB in this coming 2020 draft and riding-out Boyle for another year. AR's replacement could come high(er) in the 2021 draft, IMHO, with a year of "QB animosity" (similar to what AR endured under Favre) and then possibly a changing of the guard in 2022 or 2023 if AR hasn't been injured or lost it by then.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is "upside down" on AR's contract thru the 2020 season, after that there would be cap savings IF he were cut/retired. Boyle is under contract thru the 2020 season. I think Gute won't be taking a QB in this coming 2020 draft and riding-out Boyle for another year. AR's replacement could come high(er) in the 2021 draft, IMHO, with a year of "QB animosity" (similar to what AR endured under Favre) and then possibly a changing of the guard in 2022 or 2023 if AR hasn't been injured or lost it by then.

IF Tua drops to 20, I'd trade up and take him there...he won't be there at 27 where we are currently drafting. We won't get Burrow, and there's too many questions about the others to take them in Round 1. Once you get into Round 2 it becomes a crap shoot as to who is available.

By taking Tua at 20...sitting him for a year putting him in the class room like we did with Rodgers, then seeing what you have in 2020, you're better prepared to release Rodgers in 2021 if the contract is still upside down or sideways (Which it will be with him being 37 or 38 years old)

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once you get past Nate Stanley who is a projected 4th there's nothing there.

Depending on who you ask Jalen Hurts is a 3rd Day Pick. There's also Deandre Francois and Kelly Bryant. Then there are other QBs like Kyle Trask who say they are staying but then after they get a Draft Grade decide to declare. But I was referring to 2021. No telling who might be coming out other than Trevor Lawrence.

I agree, Boyle had to beat out Kizer this year, so next year as the established backup he could take an extra leap forward with the extra reps. I don't see Manny Wilkins as a threat at all.

IF Tua drops to 20, I'd trade up and take him there...he won't be there at 27 where we are currently drafting. We won't get Burrow, and there's too many questions about the others to take them in Round 1. Once you get into Round 2 it becomes a crap shoot as to who is available.

By taking Tua at 20...sitting him for a year putting him in the class room like we did with Rodgers, then seeing what you have in 2020, you're better prepared to release Rodgers in 2021 if the contract is still upside down or sideways (Which it will be with him being 37 or 38 years old)

There's absolutely no reason to trade up for a QB when Aaron Rodgers is at the helm. If Tua falls to us, I can agree with it at 27. But in 2020 we need to reload. Trading up from 27th to 20th will cost us our 1st, 3rd, and 4th. So Tua, one guy in the 2nd, and 5 guys on Day 3 who won't get called until late into the 5th Round. Mortgaging the draft for a guy who won't play for at least two years is short-sighted at best for a team that might make it all the way to the NFCCG.

In 2020 we will play the Saints, 49ers/Seahawks, Cowboys/Eagles, Texans, Colts, and Titans. Meaning most likely anywhere from 8-10 games out of our schedule will be played against teams who in 2019 either made the playoffs or finished with a winning record. Giving up 3 picks for Tua is going to cost us huge down the stretch for those games; and we don't have the cap room in Free Agency to make up for it either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm actually shocked how many Packers fans are ready to move on from Rodgers in a heartbeat because the team has been spoiled with having a HOF quarterback starting for 28 consecutive seasons. You might want to take a look around the league to understand it's close to impossible to replace him with another one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually shocked how many Packers fans are ready to move on from Rodgers in a heartbeat because the team has been spoiled with having a HOF quarterback starting for 28 consecutive seasons. You might want to take a look around the league to understand it's close to impossible to replace him with another one.

It is a result of lightning striking us from Favre to Rodgers. It happens sure, but is so rare how smooth it went. WE can only pray in a few years GB will go through the same thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is a result of lightning striking us from Favre to Rodgers. It happens sure, but is so rare how smooth it went. WE can only pray in a few years GB will go through the same thing.

The chances of the Packers finding another HOF quarterback to succeed Rodgers are close to zero though.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BF fell into our laps, AR fell into our laps. Let's just be patient and let it happen. 3rd times a charm.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they were expecting this to happen until it came about, is what I'm saying. You just never know. JG is doing ok for the 49'rs. I'm sure they weren't expecting that to happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but going out and trading for a QB isn't something teams do with the equity it took for BF (or your JG example) if they don't expect good things to come.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on who you ask Jalen Hurts is a 3rd Day Pick. There's also Deandre Francois and Kelly Bryant. Then there are other QBs like Kyle Trask who say they are staying but then after they get a Draft Grade decide to declare. But I was referring to 2021. No telling who might be coming out other than Trevor Lawrence.

I agree, Boyle had to beat out Kizer this year, so next year as the established backup he could take an extra leap forward with the extra reps. I don't see Manny Wilkins as a threat at all.

There's absolutely no reason to trade up for a QB when Aaron Rodgers is at the helm. If Tua falls to us, I can agree with it at 27. But in 2020 we need to reload. Trading up from 27th to 20th will cost us our 1st, 3rd, and 4th. So Tua, one guy in the 2nd, and 5 guys on Day 3 who won't get called until late into the 5th Round. Mortgaging the draft for a guy who won't play for at least two years is short-sighted at best for a team that might make it all the way to the NFCCG.

In 2020 we will play the Saints, 49ers/Seahawks, Cowboys/Eagles, Texans, Colts, and Titans. Meaning most likely anywhere from 8-10 games out of our schedule will be played against teams who in 2019 either made the playoffs or finished with a winning record. Giving up 3 picks for Tua is going to cost us huge down the stretch for those games; and we don't have the cap room in Free Agency to make up for it either.
You afraid to change your name to Tua>Rodgers>Favre?

The single biggest advantage in the NFL is having a great QB. You can win without one, but it is much easier with one.

If AR is nearing the end of the road, then you do it. Personally, I think ARs poor play of late is due to MM conflict and lack of MLF offensive familiarity. I wait another year or two. But if Tua falls to our pick, hell YEAH!

Reaction score
I don’t know yet where particular players will settle into the ratings. But as of now my position needs would follow this pattern:
Let Graham walk/ Let Blake walk

Free Agent additions:
WR
ILB

Round 1: OT (Bulagas successor)
Round 2: DT/WR (BPA)
Round 3: WR/DT (BPA)
Round 4: TE (trade a 4th/6th to move up a bit)
Round 5: ILB (again)
Round 6: C/OG
Round 6: (traded above)
Round 7: CB/S
Round 7: S/CB

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know yet where particular players will settle into the ratings. But as of now my position needs would follow this pattern:
Let Graham walk/ Let Blake walk

Free Agent additions:
WR
ILB

Round 1: OT (Bulagas successor)
Round 2: DT/WR (BPA)
Round 3: WR/DT (BPA)
Round 4: TE (trade a 4th/6th to move up a bit)
Round 5: ILB (again)
Round 6: C/OG
Round 6: (traded above)
Round 7: CB/S
Round 7: S/CB

I'm not in favor of letting Bulaga walk, he's been too solid this year.

Say what you want about Blake, you just don't lead the NFL in tackles by accident, especially not for multiple years. I think Blake would be great as the #2 ILB, we just need a #1 who can handle the coverage responsibilities.

There's no FA WRs to acquire this year of note. We would have to trade. The same can somewhat be said for ILB. There are a couple guys, but we're going to have to overpay for them.

Based on my own analysis, this OT class is the 2nd deepest position group behind WR. We could wait until Day 3 and still find a good guy, as my mocks have displayed already. With us drafting clearly in the mid 20s to later, there's not an OT special enough to warrant that early of a selection, unless one of the Tier 1 guys falls.

But even then, that selection would costs us at ILB. This ILB class has some quality guys, but there's a certain point where the talent drop off is sizable, I'd say Round 3 is where we get in that range of the talent cliff. If you're advocating dumping Martinez, there's no way possible we could ignore ILB until Round 5. There's not a stud ILB out there in FA that covers up the learning curve of a Day 3 rookie in my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

100% agree, we should however attempt IMO at some point with our first four picks possibly draft a hopeful heir apparent.

Say what you want about Blake, you just don't lead the NFL in tackles by accident, especially not for multiple years. I think Blake would be great as the #2 ILB, we just need a #1 who can handle the coverage responsibilities.

I'm right there with you on Blake, BUT he will garner way too much and fiscally we should not re-sign.

Based on my own analysis, this OT class is the 2nd deepest position group behind WR. We could wait until Day 3 and still find a good guy, as my mocks have displayed already. With us drafting clearly in the mid 20s to later, there's not an OT special enough to warrant that early of a selection, unless one of the Tier 1 guys falls.

But even then, that selection would costs us at ILB. This ILB class has some quality guys, but there's a certain point where the talent drop off is sizable, I'd say Round 3 is where we get in that range of the talent cliff. If you're advocating dumping Martinez, there's no way possible we could ignore ILB until Round 5. There's not a stud ILB out there in FA that covers up the learning curve of a Day 3 rookie in my opinion.

I literally cannot have said this better or agree more. I see the depth at OT and WR in the exact same light as you...which is why I'm still a fan of top flight ILB with our first pick OR a top flight DL that falls...otherwise you better be 100% positive you're hitting a homerun if you draft a OT or WR and you better expect All Pro level play from them down the round somewhat quickly.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's get it....

THIRD MOCK - BOWL SEASON KICKS OFF
27th Overall: Kenneth Murray, ILB - Oklahoma: Murray is trending towards the top to the middle of the 2nd Round, but he'll be gone for us if we wait, or Gute forces a trade(more on that later). We gotta take him here in the 1st, nobody will fault us if we do.

59th Overall: Justin Jefferson, WR - LSU: We are in quite the conundrum because Jefferson is trending to the top of the 2nd Round to the back of the 1st! The CFP will probably only solidify his belonging on Thursday night, if he hasn't locked in a Green Room invite already. We are dangerously close to missing out here, but for now he is a definitely 2nd Round lock at the very least. He could very well be the best value in the 2nd Round should he be selected.

91st Overall: Marvin Wilson, DE - Florida State: In many other Drafts, Wilson is probably a 2nd Round lock....or if FSU had a good season, or he didn't injure his hand. His misfortunes we can cash in on and line him up next to Clark and Lowry for instant production on that left side of the DL.

135th Overall: Jacob Phillips, ILB - LSU: Gute may have to double dip at ILB earlier than he wants if Martinez walks....which I don't think Blake wants to do but as the NFL's tackle leader more than once, Martinez may get a major payday elsewhere(let's hope it's not in our Division). Phillips combined with Murray in the 1st gives us 5 years of high quality production on the inside for pennies on the dollar. Hopefully the CFP doesn't push him into guaranteed Day 2 conversation.

173rd Overall: Kellen Mond, QB - Texas A&M: I liken him to a "light version" of Tua. He has made all the throws in an equally impressive fashion, and he has the legs to make huge plays downfield on his own, he just needs more development. He probably should stay one more year with Jimbo Fisher, but he wants to declare. I don't see Gute spending too high in draft capital yet with Rodgers on the roster, but he could make little "stabs" here and there to prepare for his retirement. Mond already has all the physical tools to me that Boyle doesn't(Boyle still slightly edges him in arm strength I think, but not by much) he just needs continued solid coaching. I'll be watching his stat line against Oklahoma State.

194th Overall: Terrance Steele, OT - Texas Tech: The 6'6, 320 pounder hasn't gained any notoriety yet, and I pray it stays that way until the Senior Bowl. He will be one to watch in the Gator Bowl against Virginia.

208th Overall: Naquan Jones, DT - Michigan State: At 6'4, 340, he's HUGE. And there's some definite muscle in that body too. Quick first step, all the tools for a pass rusher with just a little needed refinement. I'd like him to lose 20lbs so that he can stay on the field, but that may not be necessary backing up Kenny Clark. I'd be VERY interested to see them together in a jumbo package though.

231st Overall: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR - Liberty: I can't take my mind off the fact that Gute will probably go WR in the 1st or 2nd, then go low in the 6th or 7th trying to find a gem. As such, I can't take my mind off of Gandy-Golden hanging out down here. Brandon Aiyuk was a interesting pick in this range as well, but Gandy-Golden just dominates his competition at Liberty and I think that translates to the league more than scouts think right now. A Senior-Bowl or East-West Shrine invite will certainly tell us more, but Gandy-Golden and the Flames play in their first bowl game EVER against Georgia Southern later today. Should be fun to watch.

235th Overall: Matt Hennessy, OL - Temple: Hennessy is back on my list as a swing interior lineman who may be able to challenge Billy Turner after an NFL offseason. But right now, he provides quality depth until he can get to where he needs to be. Check him out in the Military Bowl against North Carolina.

248th Overall: Eric Lee Jr., S - Nebraska: A virtual unknown until this year, he leaps off the page based on what he's done in just one year. Has experience at CB as well. I wished he would have had a chance in a bowl game, but perhaps the Senior Bowl will give him a nod.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Naquan sits there that late and we don't pick him I'll be screaming.

Phillips is a ILB I realistically saw us having a shot at for sure, and do love the pick that late IF he makes it there. Murray falling to us in the 1st seems more and more likely unless he destroys at the combine.

Jefferson I agree with what I sensed you were saying; pick is not happening there as he will be gone. I do feel if we go ILB Murray at first pick, likelihood of picking a WR in second is high.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Naquan sits there that late and we don't pick him I'll be screaming.

Phillips is a ILB I realistically saw us having a shot at for sure, and do love the pick that late IF he makes it there. Murray falling to us in the 1st seems more and more likely unless he destroys at the combine.

Jefferson I agree with what I sensed you were saying; pick is not happening there as he will be gone. I do feel if we go ILB Murray at first pick, likelihood of picking a WR in second is high.
Totally agree. I wouldn't mind double dipping with Murray (that game vs Baylor, he just took over.. crazy), Philips but with their combine their stock will rise. I also think great defensive players will fall because teams will reach for a QB this draft. I don't really have much faith in this year's qbs other than Burrows and Tua.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenneth Murray in 2018 looked lost, took bad angles and poor tackling. 2019 Murray is a totally different animal. He looks sharp and decisive. Maybe the change in coaching helped?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
2018 - #18 is Curtis Bolton FYI

Reaction score
It’s all about the $. Bulaga has very likely played himself out of our reach. I would resign him short term (2-3yrs) for the right $. With his injury history it would have to include an out in 2022 and heavier incentive laden bonuses for each game he starts 3yr/18M with 6M guaranteed and a potential out in 2021 if he’s not healthy. He’s not getting any younger.

Once again it’s about cost isn’t it? He’s going to want to be paid handsomely, So it’s not a slight on him as much as I think he’s a good LB, but not nearly as good as the $ he’ll want. He’s great at 600K, But he’ll want double digits payout this time around. I’d walk him for that kinda $. Or I’d explore other options in the 5-10M range$ or draft one early 2020.
The jury is still out on Burks, it’s poop or get off the pot for Oren in 2020.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dylan Moses officially decides to return to school for his senior season. I'm guessing he's lost just too much stock due to his injury. I had him hovering around Day 2. Would have been probably the best pick in either round if he turned out okay. Was going to start angling a strategy to grab him but guess it's back to the drawing board.

I'm starting to think Gute will possibly trade a 2021 pick to get an extra pick Day 2. At first I thought about our 2nd and 3rd to get a guy higher up in the 2nd Round to give the team a major boost, but that just seems like too much to give up. 2021 however is going to be an expensive FA class to retain all our guys though so he might want to hold on to those picks too. But with Rodgers window seemingly closing fast, if we could somehow come away with Murray AND Jefferson, along with a DE and OT of the future I think it would be all worth it.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we leave this draft with Murray and Jefferson....I'll probably get arrested for celebrating too much....oh my word that'd be a draft!