Excited to See Randall step up!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I would imagine Randall with stick with outside. He is pretty solid (yet learning) in press coverage. I absolutely love this kid. I think he has breakout potential for sure. I live in New England, where everyone thinks Malcom Butler is better than Revis. Mostly they think that because Butler won them a Super Bowl. As my boyfriend is a die hard Pats fan, I watch every game thoroughly and I can tell you from an unbiased stand point, Butler is not that good. The Patriots only played against two top 10 QB's this year (one being Pittsburg first game of the season, and the other being Eli Manning where the Pats were totally outplayed and should have lost). I can promise you all, Malcom Butler is not that good. He was rarely tested, and when he was tested by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Eric Decker, he was eaten alive. Demarious Randall is much more promising. Packers fans should be happy about their secondary going into this season :).

H

HardRightEdge

Gunter is a player. In a league of power Wrs that are physical freaks. You need a big physical CB. Enter Gunter. 6'2", and i was sort of shocked to see only 201 pounds. Based on his physical play, and stature on the field... I think he is very valuable as a bottom of the roster guy. I feel if we had to throw him in the starting role. He would do well.
He seems to have a knack for getting on guys and riding them on the inside as they come off the line, enough to throw receivers off a bit but not enough to get flagged. It's how he neutralizes his speed disadvantage. This is not conventional technique, but it seems to have worked fairly well so far. I'd have to see how he holds up after a few weeks of extended play as an injury replacement. You have to wonder if teams will then attack that technique with outs and flags when they have an opportunity to plan for it.

As I said, I like the depth at CB where Gunter or Goodson represents the #5 compared to the #3 at safety (if Hyde must be otherwise engaged) or the #4...because that guy not exist on the roster unless you want to count Banjo, which I do not.

It's worth recalling teams hardly threw at Randall over the first 4 games. Then they did. This is likely a function of gathering enough tape to identify tendencies.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would imagine Randall with stick with outside. He is pretty solid (yet learning) in press coverage. I absolutely love this kid. I think he has breakout potential for sure. I live in New England, where everyone thinks Malcom Butler is better than Revis. Mostly they think that because Butler won them a Super Bowl. As my boyfriend is a die hard Pats fan, I watch every game thoroughly and I can tell you from an unbiased stand point, Butler is not that good. The Patriots only played against two top 10 QB's this year (one being Pittsburg first game of the season, and the other being Eli Manning where the Pats were totally outplayed and should have lost). I can promise you all, Malcom Butler is not that good. He was rarely tested, and when he was tested by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Eric Decker, he was eaten alive. Demarious Randall is much more promising. Packers fans should be happy about their secondary going into this season :).

There's no doubt Randall had a promising rookie season but right now Butler is still the better cornerback.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to have a knack for getting on guys and riding them on the inside as they come off the line, enough to throw receivers off a bit but not enough to get flagged. It's how he neutralizes his speed disadvantage. This is not conventional technique, but it seems to have worked fairly well so far. I'd have to see how he holds up after a few weeks of extended play as an injury replacement. You have to wonder if teams will then attack that technique with outs and flags when they have an opportunity to plan for it.

As I said, I like the depth at CB where Gunter or Goodson represents the #5 compared to the #3 at safety (if Hyde must be otherwise engaged) or the #4...because that guy not exist on the roster unless you want to count Banjo, which I do not.

It's worth recalling teams hardly threw at Randall over the first 4 games. Then they did. This is likely a function of gathering enough tape to identify tendencies.

Agree. I think Randall has legit possibility to be a top 10-15 CB in the league. I don't know if Rollins will be as good as him, but he'll at the very least be good enough to be happy with, and not "OMG, Rollins is out there" every time he plays.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
There's no doubt Randall had a promising rookie season but right now Butler is still the better cornerback.
I am interested by this, what are you basing that off of? This is Butler's first season as a starting corner. He only played against 2 top 10 QB's and gave up 100+ yards to Antonio Brown, Eric Decker (twice), Odell Beckham, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Davante Parker, and Chris Hogan. He is most notable for not being targeted. Hence, I bring up the fact that he only played against 2 top 10 QB's, I would love him to cover Jordy or even Adams for that matter. He really is not that good. When he is targeted, his man puts up 100+ yards. Malcom Butler: 2 interceptions; 15 pass deflections playing 95% of snaps this season vs. Demarious Randall: 3 interceptions; 14 pass deflections playing maybe 65% of this seasons snaps?

D

Deleted member 6794

I am interested by this, what are you basing that off of? This is Butler's first season as a starting corner. He only played against 2 top 10 QB's and gave up 100+ yards to Antonio Brown, Eric Decker (twice), Odell Beckham, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, Davante Parker, and Chris Hogan. He is most notable for not being targeted. Hence, I bring up the fact that he only played against 2 top 10 QB's, I would love him to cover Jordy or even Adams for that matter. He really is not that good. When he is targeted, his man puts up 100+ yards. Malcom Butler: 2 interceptions; 15 pass deflections playing 95% of snaps this season vs. Demarious Randall: 3 interceptions; 14 pass deflections playing maybe 65% of this seasons snaps?

Butler allowed a completion rate of only 50.5% when being targeted last season and gave up an average 52.0 receiving yards per game.

In addition he only gave up more than 100 yards in a single game last season, struggling against the Steelers in week 1 while mostly covering Antonio Brown, allowing 142 yards on nine completions while being targeted 10 times.

On the other hand he allowed less than 20 receiving yards several times.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The witch hunters sure went after Adams and Rodgers this year.... Two very young, very promising guys... I was disapointed in Adams last year. You cant always help injuries... But I never considered dropping him to #5 or on the bubble, as some posters are claiming...He is a stud IMO. First impression, Montgomery impressed me the most out of any WR we have had since Sharpe. I cant wait to see what Adams does with Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery of the field. Adams will run with the Lions...
Rodgers did seem to get... slower? Other than thet he did.... Great? I miss Finley at 6'4" 245 going down field too. Whats the problem with Rodgers 58 catches 510 yds and solid 8 TDs with no fumbles...? I like the move to get Cook in here. Feel bad for Quarless. Hopefully he heals up and makes another run at it... But yea. Thumbs up on Rodgers at TE, for me. Coach him up.

I just seen this was a thread on randall... lol whoops.

Some are quick to give up on young players after a bad year - I'm just glad they're not the GM.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We should expect some progress from Randall after a respectable rookie season.

It's a good group. Rollins makes the perimeter 3-deep and nickel 2-deep, Hyde makes safety 3-deep. One injury to any of the starting 5 DBs (nickel D is the "starting" D) can be covered without losing much.

Two injuries? If it happens to be Hyde and Rollins, there would no nickel DB based on the current roster. If it's Hyde and one of the starting safeties, then there's no safety backup. The Packers could bring Banjo back for $600k as exclusive rights FA, but he's a ST guy who you don't want on the field in passing downs.

I think there's an argument for a safety/nickel swing man coming our way in the draft, particularly with Hyde being a FA after 2016.

If the 2 starting perimeter corners were to go down, or Rollins and one of the starters, that leaves a hole for either Goodson or Gunter to fill. Not exactly an inspiring situation, but at least there are guys with some experience who have been not terrible at times. Better than Banjo at safety.
I agree that a DB of some flavor is highly likely to be drafted because of Hyde's contract expiration. Honestly, I think they'll also on the lookout for Burnett's eventual replacement too.

Disagree with your assessment of Goodson and Gunter. They will both be better players this year than they were last year and both should be capable reserves this year imo. I think Rollins is likely the guy that gets moved around. They are going to want him on the field for more snaps this year. Seems like an instinctual athlete that can make plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that a DB of some flavor is highly likely to be drafted because of Hyde's contract expiration. Honestly, I think they'll also on the lookout for Burnett's eventual replacement too.

Disagree with your assessment of Goodson and Gunter. They will both be better players this year than they were last year and both should be capable reserves this year imo. I think Rollins is likely the guy that gets moved around. They are going to want him on the field for more snaps this year. Seems like an instinctual athlete that can make plays.

Burnett is one of the best box safeties in the league and still has two years left on his contract, there's absolutely no reason to think about replacing him.

If Gunter and Goodson end up improving this season, like you're suggesting, I don't see the need to draft another defensive back either.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy talks about it because he perceives it to be true and factual.

While it's true there are several players making a jump from their rookie to second seasons there are multiple examples for it not being true as well. Adams being a prime example for it.

In addition you don't hear any other GMs or coaches talking about it that often because nearly all other teams use other methods to upgrade the roster as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is a player. In a league of power Wrs that are physical freaks. You need a big physical CB. Enter Gunter. 6'2", and i was sort of shocked to see only 201 pounds. Based on his physical play, and stature on the field... I think he is very valuable as a bottom of the roster guy. I feel if we had to throw him in the starting role. He would do well.

With all the attention Randall and Rollins got...rightfully so...I was still over here the whole time shocked Gunter fell out of draft and we picked him up. I seriously could see us looking back and seeing Gunter as the best value pick up of this class...not Rollins or Randall (value is different).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett is one of the best box safeties in the league and still has two years left on his contract, there's absolutely no reason to think about replacing him.

If Gunter and Goodson end up improving this season, like you're suggesting, I don't see the need to draft another defensive back either.

YES! Appreciation for what Burnett is, quietly he is one of the best box safeties this league has.

D

Deleted member 6794

With all the attention Randall and Rollins got...rightfully so...I was still over here the whole time shocked Gunter fell out of draft and we picked him up. I seriously could see us looking back and seeing Gunter as the best value pick up of this class...not Rollins or Randall (value is different).

Gunter was impressive during training camp and the preseason but it's far too early to think about him ending up having a better career than Randall and Rollins. There's reason to be optimistic about him but it's possible NFL offenses could exploit his lack of speed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter was impressive during training camp and the preseason but it's far too early to think about him ending up having a better career than Randall and Rollins. There's reason to be optimistic about him but it's possible NFL offenses could exploit his lack of speed.

I never said better. If all he ever becomes is our solid plug and play guy for injuries or 3rd/4th CB, to me he has far exceeded in value anything Rollins/Randall could do except short of being a HOFer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said better. If all he ever becomes is our solid plug and play guy for injuries or 3rd/4th CB, to me he has far exceeded in value anything Rollins/Randall could do except short of being a HOFer.

OK, got it. I agree that getting a reliable backup cornerback would present nice value for an undrafted free agent.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While it's true there are several players making a jump from their rookie to second seasons there are multiple examples for it not being true as well. Adams being a prime example for it.

In addition you don't hear any other GMs or coaches talking about it that often because nearly all other teams use other methods to upgrade the roster as well.
You really expect Adams third season to be more like his second season than his rookie season?
I guess I just look at player development differently than you, HRE and a few others here.

D

Deleted member 6794

You really expect Adams third season to be more like his second season than his rookie season?
I guess I just look at player development differently than you, HRE and a few others here.

I don't know how Adams third season will turn out. It was obvious he didn't take the much talked about jump from his rookie to his second season though. And that's what this discussion was all about.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how Adams third season will turn out. It was obvious he didn't take the much talked about jump from his rookie to his second season though. And that's what this discussion was all about.
Yup, not everyone makes the second year jump for a myriad of reasons. I don't think we've seen Adams best season yet though. He has shown that he belongs in the league though. Imo, he's much more of a natural WR with instincts than say, James Jones was as a young receiver.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, not everyone makes the second year jump for a myriad of reasons. I don't think we've seen Adams best season yet though. He has shown that he belongs in the league though. Imo, he's much more of a natural WR with instincts than say, James Jones was as a young receiver.

Adams didn't show me he even belonged in the NFL last season. And IMO his rookie season wasn't all that either, even moreso when you consider he had the advantage of defense's concerns being %95 on Nelson and Cobb.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams didn't show me he even belonged in the NFL last season. And IMO his rookie season wasn't all that either, even moreso when you consider he had the advantage of defense's concerns being %95 on Nelson and Cobb.
Fair enough. I'm expecting all 4 of our young WR's to show continued improvement this year and I really like the variety of skill sets the 4 comprise. Gives the coach interesting play calling options imo.

H

HardRightEdge

True, he led the team in special teams tackles with 24 as well.

Rodgers significantly increased his total number of receptions but it was painfully obvious he lacks athleticism.

To me, the most disappointing aspects of Rodgers play are 1) his blocking and 2) his inability to break tackles. I think he's fairly athletic for his size except for speed, which is a big "except".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His speed will definitely not ever be anything to write home about that's for sure. he still looks immature physically to me. Maybe that's just how he'll be, but to me it looks almost like he tried putting on too much weight, probably to beef up for blocking. it never translated to better blocking and it affected his overall movement. I know he's not a teenager, but some people do physically mature later. I think if he drops 15-25lbs, somewhere in there, and another off season of working out he'll be moving better this year. Maybe i'm just hopeful.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else a little nervous by his off field behavior? Other than that, this kid can ball. Has potential to become a top tier corner.

H

HardRightEdge

His speed will definitely not ever be anything to write home about that's for sure. he still looks immature physically to me. Maybe that's just how he'll be, but to me it looks almost like he tried putting on too much weight, probably to beef up for blocking. it never translated to better blocking and it affected his overall movement. I know he's not a teenager, but some people do physically mature later. I think if he drops 15-25lbs, somewhere in there, and another off season of working out he'll be moving better this year. Maybe i'm just hopeful.
Rodgers was 257lbs. at the Combine, lifting 16 times, while running 4.87 at the Combine and 4.82 at his Pro Day.

The Packers got exactly what those numbers project.

You'd have to think they liked his route running and hands, which is what they got. The guy did catch 8 TDs last season and made a fair number of catches; he's not a bum. The fact he exhibits not a scintilla of dynamism is the reason fans have been calling for an upgrade, and Thompson agreed.

I think this is a case of a guy who topped out as a college senior in terms of his physical skills.

Members online

Latest posts