1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Excited to See Randall step up!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Cheyne Jones, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Cheyne Jones

Cheyne Jones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Surely I can't be the only one getting excited to see Damarious Randall step up and have a break out second year in the absence of Hayward!

2. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    Hmmmm, is he our slot corner now? Not Shields. Probably not Rollins. Guess I hadn't thought about that. Seems a shame with how well Demarious played on the outside for a rookie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ChesterfieldCheesehead

ChesterfieldCheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    I think they will keep Randall outside that's where he was last year and Rollins did well in the slot last year when he played. I am very excited though to see him I believe he will make that jump

4. Cheyne Jones

Cheyne Jones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    That's a good point. Randall will be much more valuable on the outside and give more time to Rollins in the slot. What was I thinking? :-/ haha

5. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I honestly believe Rollins and Randall will become one of the most feared CB duos in the league in a matter of time. Both of them have tremendous upside and will only get better as time progresses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,713
    We should expect some progress from Randall after a respectable rookie season.

It's a good group. Rollins makes the perimeter 3-deep and nickel 2-deep, Hyde makes safety 3-deep. One injury to any of the starting 5 DBs (nickel D is the "starting" D) can be covered without losing much.

Two injuries? If it happens to be Hyde and Rollins, there would no nickel DB based on the current roster. If it's Hyde and one of the starting safeties, then there's no safety backup. The Packers could bring Banjo back for $600k as exclusive rights FA, but he's a ST guy who you don't want on the field in passing downs.

I think there's an argument for a safety/nickel swing man coming our way in the draft, particularly with Hyde being a FA after 2016.

If the 2 starting perimeter corners were to go down, or Rollins and one of the starters, that leaves a hole for either Goodson or Gunter to fill. Not exactly an inspiring situation, but at least there are guys with some experience who have been not terrible at times. Better than Banjo at safety.

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,607
    Banjo received a one-year, $675,000 qualifying offer from the Packers before the start of free agency so he will be back next season.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269
    I've heard it said that the biggest jump in improvement is normally in a player's second year in the league, although Davante Adams proved that's not always the case. It will be interesting to see how sophomores like Randall, Rollins, Ryan and Montgomery perform this season. Hopefully, the only time we see Brett Hundley play will be in the pre-season.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,607
    Well, McCarthy talks about it a lot because Thompson mostly doesn´t improve the roster with free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,713
    That's informative. I don't think that changes the picture much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    And then there is the dreaded "sophomore slump".

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,713
    Banjo led the team with 334 ST snaps, 74%. That's his perceived value.

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,713
    I would cut Adams some slack, having played with a couple of injuries last season.

Richard Rodgers? I think that's a case where you've seen the upside.

14. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    Love the way Randall looks back for the ball. He did misjudge a couple but love his technique and ability. Seems to have good hands also. And makes some big plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Randall and Rollins along with Dix have transformed the backend of this defense into a real strength. Burnett has been steady back there all along and if we could get Clay back to focusing on harrassing QBs instead of playing ILB, we could really have something special.

I am still a strong believer that the 2015 was a lot more stout than the numbers show. Had we had an offense that was even in the top 15, the defensive stats would have looked a lot better. Randall and Rollins were a big part of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,607
    True, he led the team in special teams tackles with 24 as well.

Rodgers significantly increased his total number of receptions but it was painfully obvious he lacks athleticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    I don't agree that Mathews is more effective on the outside. Especially against the best L tackles. I say move him around. Give him some flexibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +661
    Thanks for ripping the scab off the wound. :) After several years of "with this offense, all we need is a decent D, and we're home free", we finally got a good D in 2015, and...

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,607
    I´m fine with moving Matthews around occasionally but there´s no doubt he´s most effective rushing the QB from the edge.

20. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

I'm hoping Adams takes a step forward this year, and same with Richard Rodgers. I'm interested to see what our new TE coach can do with both Rodgers and Cook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Gunter is a player. In a league of power Wrs that are physical freaks. You need a big physical CB. Enter Gunter. 6'2", and i was sort of shocked to see only 201 pounds. Based on his physical play, and stature on the field... I think he is very valuable as a bottom of the roster guy. I feel if we had to throw him in the starting role. He would do well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I think Adams got caught up in extra pressure on him from the media and the team after Jordy went down and it got to him. With Jordy back, I expect Adams to thrive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    The witch hunters sure went after Adams and Rodgers this year.... Two very young, very promising guys... I was disapointed in Adams last year. You cant always help injuries... But I never considered dropping him to #5 or on the bubble, as some posters are claiming...He is a stud IMO. First impression, Montgomery impressed me the most out of any WR we have had since Sharpe. I cant wait to see what Adams does with Nelson, Cobb, Montgomery of the field. Adams will run with the Lions...
    Rodgers did seem to get... slower? Other than thet he did.... Great? I miss Finley at 6'4" 245 going down field too. Whats the problem with Rodgers 58 catches 510 yds and solid 8 TDs with no fumbles...? I like the move to get Cook in here. Feel bad for Quarless. Hopefully he heals up and makes another run at it... But yea. Thumbs up on Rodgers at TE, for me. Coach him up.

I just seen this was a thread on randall... lol whoops.

24. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +937
    Sorry, Eli and others, but no sale for me on Adams or the excuses for him. The guy flat out sucked across the board last year, a performance probably not good enough for a Div. 2 college team. I also don't recall anything about his hands being injured.
    Rodgers probably couldn't win a foot race with a statue, and would probably be stopped in his tracks by any defender in high school.
    Keep waiting on either of these guys to be the next big thing; you'll have a long wait.

25. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504

The fans expecting every player to be the next big thing. They don't have to be the next big thing. How many next big things are there playing the #3 WR (or lower) on any team. How many next big things are there at TE on a team that IMO doesn't honestly utilize the TE position in the way that a next big ting would warrant. I agree, I don't think Adams or Rodgers will be the next big thing but I don't think they have to be. All they have to be is solid to be big contributors and I think they can be and will be that.

• Agree Agree x 1