End of season evaluations... ?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they got 4 ints and a fumble, held wilson to a 0 rating in 1st half..

the D played the damn hearts out and with 5 mins to go they got wore out..

this lands all on the offense, they should been up 24-0 at half

I disagree with this analysis. Partly because with 5 minutes to go, after hardly being on the field, the team inexplicably pulled their best, most explosive and most dangerous defensive player. It's a lot harder to complete passing plays when Clay Matthews knows you're passing. It's also a lot harder to run the hurry up no huddle offense, and get into a rhythm when you have to constantly account for Clay Matthews. Where was Clay Matthews when the game was in doubt in regulation, the world wonders.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for Dom, I tend to think that he really is a great football mind. The trouble is that he's more a professor than a commander. His defenses tend to look great at first installment when things are simple and dumbed down but eventually things just get... weird. I think Dom's full scheme is too complicated and simply unworkable.

I think his schemes work as long as the Packers have football savvy players on the field. It´s tough to run his defense with a lot of rookies and young players on the roster though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree with this analysis. Partly because with 5 minutes to go, after hardly being on the field, the team inexplicably pulled their best, most explosive and most dangerous defensive player. It's a lot harder to complete passing plays when Clay Matthews knows you're passing. It's also a lot harder to run the hurry up no huddle offense, and get into a rhythm when you have to constantly account for Clay Matthews. Where was Clay Matthews when the game was in doubt in regulation, the world wonders.

rodgers had over many chances to get us to 24-0 and failed

blame the def all you want..I will blame the off and MM

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do we have to have a 24 pt. lead in the 4th quarter in order to win a game? Worse yet, against a team that had no points at half time. The answer lies in the question itself.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Many fans have been hoping the Special Teams unit would improve for several years now. They really haven't. It's way past time to take a long look at the one responsible for their co-ordination. But for some reason, he is never gone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Slocum should be fired but not because Bostic didn't do what he was supposed to do on that play. Here's a link to a jsonline article titled, Packers finish last in NFL in special-teams rankings http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/289585341.html

McCarthy shouldn't fire Slocum IMO because of the two STs screw ups in the championship game, he should fire him for his body of work as ST coordinator in Green Bay.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his schemes work as long as the Packers have football savvy players on the field. It´s tough to run his defense with a lot of rookies and young players on the roster though.

This has been mentioned elsewhere in the past; that things had to be simplified or left out with so many young, inexperienced guys on the field.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its probably back to GB and back to work tomorrow for MM. I expect to see Slocum leaving the team by Thursday at the latest.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Its probably back to GB and back to work tomorrow for MM. I expect to see Slocum leaving the team by Thursday at the latest.

I would be extremely disappointed but not surprised if Slocum was back next year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Slocum should be fired but not because Bostic didn't do what he was supposed to do on that play. Here's a link to a jsonline article titled, Packers finish last in NFL in special-teams rankings http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/289585341.html

McCarthy shouldn't fire Slocum IMO because of the two STs screw ups in the championship game, he should fire him for his body of work as ST coordinator in Green Bay.

Agreed 100%. Alas sometimes I think MM is too nice a guy for this business, he sticks with his guys till the end.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did not realize Slocum was R.C. Slocum of Texas A&M's kid.

Just because he is a horrific special teams coach does not mean him and MM can't still be friends. It might help their friendship with him not pissing MM off for his unit's shortcomings.

H

HardRightEdge

rodgers had over many chances to get us to 24-0 and failed

blame the def all you want..I will blame the off and MM
Think about that for a second. If the defense is competent, why would they need a 24-0 lead against a team that is less than explosive against the rest of the league?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think about that for a second. If the defense is competent, why would they need a 24-0 lead against a team that is less than explosive against the rest of the league?

If the offense scored 2 td and not 2 fg, is it logical to think they win?
that is how I feel

H

HardRightEdge

If the offense scored 2 td and not 2 fg, is it logical to think they win?
that is how I feel
That's all fine and good, but you said you blame the offense and McCarthy yet, to repeat, the defense could not hold a 16 point lead against a less than explosive offense.

We're in agreement that the offense failed to provide and insurmountable lead.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like the proverbial butt hole and brain arguing about who is more important. The butt hole got sick of the brain walking around all high and mighty so he puckered up and the the brain was so full of **** before he knew it and couldn't do anything right anymore.

You can't have one without the other. Both made mistakes, left plays on the field. Plays that if one unit, the offense, defense or special teams does better, we're talking about our big oversized balls against New England's shriveled ones.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As if Slocum's botch job in a game we may never live down isn't grounds enough to send him packing, check this:

3. I think the most stunning bit of news in Rick Gosselin’s always-superb ranking of the 32 NFL special-teams units in the Dallas Morning News was this: Green Bay finished 32nd, and had one of the worst seasons by a kicking unit in some time. In the NFL this season, 61 kicks or punts were blocked—and seven of them happened to the Packers.

from http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/26/super-bowl-49-patriots-seahawks-bill-vinovich-ref/5/

This guy can't coach. He's terrible. He's always been terrible. If we keep him, we're crippling the capacity of units who are momentum establishing or donating. If our special teams can make ONE play in that game that matters, we're rematching the Patriots almost 20 years after Reggie White sacked Bledsoe three times...
Well forcing and recovering a fumble in great position is "one" play that should have mattered . This game wasn't lost on special teams alone.

OP
OP
paulska

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well forcing and recovering a fumble in great position is "one" play that should have mattered . This game wasn't lost on special teams alone.

You're missing the key issue here. Slocum's shortcomings in this one game, which were critical in seeing a 12 point lead with 5 minutes left evaporate, are only SYMPTOMATIC of a long tenure of abysmal (at worst, which has been often) to mediocre (which is consistent) special teams play under his watch.

It doesn't matter whether special teams alone are to blame. There are so many players and coaches who deserve to wear this loss. It matters that since Slocum has had this unit to call his own, they have never excelled or come to a place where they contribute momentum changes to the positive on a consistent basis. You don't win titles with special teams that don't even break even. They need to be net positives, and he's a consistent net loss. It's time for him to go, and if MM sticks with him, I'm concerned in the long run about us ever getting back to a title game, because it's far less likely that Dom Capers, who is only somewhat more consistent in getting results from his unit, will ever be shown the door in favour of someone who can game in and out scheme to the best of the talent on the roster and field a unit that is a reason we dominate.

Loyalty is one thing, but the growth and improvement of the team sometimes require a change from a track that isn't getting us where we want to go...