Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pouncey kicking a guy in the head while he's down deserves some mention.

I'm more lenient on that one. He just saw a guy swing his QB's helmet at his QB'S unprotected head. I can't say I blame him. Pouncey probably gets suspended a game or two. I hope Garrett never plays again. That was assault.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Agreed and I think as the NFL goes through that film, there are going to be a number of players with fines and or suspensions. Mason Rudolph is probably in line for a fine, for his part in what was the initial instigation of the ruckus between him and Garrett that set the whole thing off.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like they were watching this last night?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ok with it. I wouldn't be ok with it if he just decided to do it. See your QB take a haymaker to the skull with a helmet as a weapon? he deserved worse.

Something things cross a line and you don't wait for the authorities. IMO, that was one of them.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the top of the organizational hierarchy of the Browns is one of the league's biggest dirt bags.

John Dorsey is a piece of ****. And he collects other pieces of ****. He gets lauded for being such a great talent evaluator, but in reality he is just eager and willing to snatch up all the thugs, slimeballs, divas, and clowns that other organizations have let go or passed on.

The result is a glitzy roster that receives lots of fawning attention in the offseason, but lacks the discipline and character to win.

May the John Dorsey led Browns never win another game.

Elliott Wolf probably had some say in their roster too. A lot of people here wanted Wolf to be GM, but maybe it's good he was passed over.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather the league take care of it. I don't care to introduce this aspect into the game. They should be able to remove him without it.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rudolph was incredibly lucky that the white padded part of his helmet came down on him when Garrett swung it. Could have been way worse and gone off on a stretcher.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This was far from the only dirty move from the Browns on the day too. Both Smith-Schuster and Johnson were out of the game because of head to head hits. One from our very own Damarious Randall.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Browns have a ton of talent but the biggest rap on them is that they are very undisciplined and that was very apparent last night. They lead the league in penalties (87) and penalty yards (822). The next closest team in # and yards is Oakland with 81 and 737 yds.

This is a case of the sum of their pieces, definitely do not equal the whole. Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam has to be wondering if Dorsey and Kitchens were the wrong guys to be put in charge.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very shocked over the matter. I thought Garrett was one of the truly level headed, humble good guys. Guy is into dinosaurs and hangs out with normal humble people.

But what he did should come under severe consequences. There are no excuse for what he did.

Pouncy should not be excused either.

16 games for Garrett and 4 for Pouncy. Not sure bout the other guy.

Rudolph was an idiot in this a well. Trying to yank Garrett's helmet and then trying to get in his face without his helmet was just stupid.

The Steeler who held Garrett down was the only sensible one in the group.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, every one screwed up, it's just varying degrees of screw up.

Rudolph started going too far with the (apparent) groin shot to Garrett.

Garrett responded with tearing off Rudolph's helmet.

DeCastro intelligently steps between Rudolph and Garrett.

At this point, both have made mistakes, but nothing particularly bad. 15 yard penalty on Garrett and a likely fine.

And then it goes off the rails.

With his linemen protecting him (3 vs. 1), Rudolph goes after Garrett.

Garrett swings the haymaker with the helmet.

Pouncey intervenes (I'm okay with this move)

Pouncey kicks Garrett while he's on the ground (not okay with this one).

If I'm the commish, I'm dropping crap on all them:

1. Garrett gets 16 games. However we ended up here, this is assault with a weapon.

2. Pouncey gets 2-4 games. Once his quarterback was safe, he's immediate in the wrong to continue.

3. Rudolph gets 2 games. 1 game for starting this pissing match, 1 game to keep him from playing the Browns in 2 weeks. He gets sacrificed to keep himself safe AND to prevent the rematch from devolving into a complete brawl at the coin toss.

A significant part of this is to make an example out of everyone. All three parties screwed up bad. Some just worse than others.

As an aside, Garrett should be charged with (assault? battery?). This is not within the rules of the game. He used a weapon to attack someone. If he is charged, I expect him to be convicted/plead guilty.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a case of the sum of their pieces, definitely do not equal the whole. Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam has to be wondering if Dorsey and Kitchens were the wrong guys to be put in charge.
I don't know. Albert Haynesworth was a stupid thug. Signing someone like him is one thing. Unless he has amazing PR people, Garrett has been a very high level character person and I would have never expected this from him. Not that it is an excuse, but there must be other things going on. Maybe Rudolph drove over his dog when he ran off with his wife.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aside, Garrett should be charged with (assault? battery?). This is not within the rules of the game. He used a weapon to attack someone. If he is charged, I expect him to be convicted/plead guilty.
That would be unprecedented, but a definite possibility. I think the NFL is working behind the scenes to prevent this. It would be a ugly blemish on the NFL as a whole. As Rudolph is okay, I don't think he will be able to sue.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be unprecedented, but a definite possibility. I think the NFL is working behind the scenes to prevent this. It would be a ugly blemish on the NFL as a whole. As Rudolph is okay, I don't think he will be able to sue.

Sue would be civil court.

Charges is criminal court. That's up to the police to investigate and district attorney to file/press charges.

And yes, it would be unprecedented, but so are the acts. I have already read that the policy visited the Browns locker room after the game. It is entirely possible it could happen.

And honestly, I think it should happen. This is no different than Garrett (for example) pulling out a knife and trying to stab someone. Had he connected the hit better, Rudolph dies right there on the field.

H

HardRightEdge

Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam has to be wondering if Dorsey and Kitchens were the wrong guys to be put in charge.
Haslem signs the checks for this collection of bad actors, big mouths, head cases, failed drug tests, brand builders, etc. It's hard to believe he didn't know what he was getting into. Until recently, he's kept a tight hold on the purse strings, running well under the cap for years. His guiding emotion may be embarrassment over losing, alot. The snickers from peers and a corner seat at the owners meeting table may have gotten to his ego. Ego is never in short supply among these guys to begin with. That adds up to going along with taking shortcuts.

This has the look of an Al Davis kind of thing, another guy who accumulated bad boys, headhunters and "personalties". "Just win, Baby" looks to be Haslem's new mantra after years of wandering in the wilderness.

For all we know Haslem's reaction may be more about what the scoreboard showed and concern about how long he'll lose a star player. Any bad boy edge players on the street for a replacement?

Funny thing, though. With the preponderance of fans and media, winning forgives just about everything. Can Haslem get there somewhere in the near future? I wouldn't rule it out even if it doesn't look too promising at the moment. And that may be all he cares about along with the revenue that comes with winning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1 game for Ogunjobi

3 games for Pouncey

Indefinite suspension for Garrett

Seems about right.

H

HardRightEdge

Rudolph was an idiot in this a well.
Yeah, I wonder what Rudolph was saying to him as he charged at him, maybe a "motherf'er" tossed in? Some guys are especially sensitive when you talk about their mother like that. Anyway, I doubt it was, "Let's have a conversation and seek middle ground."

I won't be surprised if Rudolph gets a fine for escalating the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't know. Albert Haynesworth was a stupid thug. Signing someone like him is one thing. Unless he has amazing PR people, Garrett has been a very high level character person and I would have never expected this from him. Not that it is an excuse, but there must be other things going on. Maybe Rudolph drove over his dog when he ran off with his wife.

Garrett has developed a reputation for being a dirty player in a pretty short amount of time.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this is what people wanted in Green Bay? Pass. You can get away with a few guys with character flaws and absorb them in the locker room, but Dorsey has gone full blown with a bunch of those type of players and seems to have rotted everything from the inside out. Randall should buy Garrett a fruit basket or something. He would have been story #1 out of the game, but now, his penalty/ejection is, as Wolf would say 'a fart in the wind'

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder what Rudolph was saying to him as he charged at him, maybe a "motherf'er" tossed in? Some guys are especially sensitive when you talk about their mother like that. Anyway, I doubt it was, "Let's have a conversation and seek middle ground."

I won't be surprised if Rudolph gets a fine for escalating the matter.

true he had to say something on the ground

Members online