Eddie Lacy is still a free agent...

D

Deleted member 6794

Should he be brought back and given a look? Packers need all the depth they can get.

The Packers ranked fourth in the league in yards per rushing attempt last season although Rodgers missed half of it. They have enough talent at the position and definitely don't need another running back not capable of staying in shape.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should he be brought back and given a look? Packers need all the depth they can get.
Eh, maybe if he was really cheap, he has experience for younger backs is about only reason I would bring him in. He was more unpredictable than I would’ve liked when he was here before.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eh, maybe if he was really cheap, he has experience for younger backs is about only reason I would bring him in. He was more unpredictable than I would’ve liked when he was here before.

I definitely don't want Lacy to be a role model for any of the young running backs on the roster. The Packers don't need him around even if he would sign for the veteran minimum.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, good point. He really doesn’t bring anything worthwhile to the team, like literally nothing. Well, how’s his driving record? He could shuttle the players around as needed. Maybe from a hotel to the stadium or something.

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looked up his stats for last year, 2.9 yards per carry last year, yea definitely not a good RB anymore. First 2 seasons sure he was over 1k yards each one, I think he has a grand total of just over 3k yards in his 5 years, last 2 he was terrible, granted he missed a good chunk of games, but still, 2.9 per carry *shivers* we’d be better off with Adrian Peterson I think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just looked up his stats for last year, 2.9 yards per carry last year, yea definitely not a good RB anymore. First 2 seasons sure he was over 1k yards each one, I think he has a grand total of just over 3k yards in his 5 years, last 2 he was terrible, granted he missed a good chunk of games, but still, 2.9 per carry *shivers* we’d be better off with Adrian Peterson I think.

Lacy was definitely a great running back for the Packers during the first two seasons with the team before he unfortunately decided it wasn't necessary to put in the work to stay in shape anymore.

The Packers are better off without Peterson as well as first of all age has caught up to him and in addition he was never a fit in the team's offense with Rodgers predominantly lining up in the shotgun.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kicking the tires on Lacy as a RB may be a moot point. By now he probably weighs 300 pounds. Maybe he can play nose tackle.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he did well when he played in 2016 until Mike decided it was a good idea to make him play through a bad injury vs Dallas. There is also a lot of weird animosity with him people calling him a bust. He had 2 very good years and it's not like we overpaid him at any point. In saying that I don't want to see him back here. I don't see a team calling him before Adrian Peterson

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kicking the tires on Lacy as a RB may be a moot point. By now he probably weighs 300 pounds. Maybe he can play nose tackle.
Stats I read had him 250 lbs for last season and I think his height is 5’11” so he’s a big boy lol

H

HardRightEdge

I thought he did well when he played in 2016 until Mike decided it was a good idea to make him play through a bad injury vs Dallas. There is also a lot of weird animosity with him people calling him a bust. He had 2 very good years and it's not like we overpaid him at any point. In saying that I don't want to see him back here. I don't see a team calling him before Adrian Peterson
Lacy was on pace for 1,200 yards with a 5.1 average (though no TDs) in that 4th. season until he was shut down after game 5 with a torn ankle ligament. He looked about as big that season as during his disappointing 3rd. season, but he looked quicker to and through the hole even if still slow at the third level. He was doing something more than eating pizza and playing Madden during that offseason between the third and fourth season.

Here are a few clips from last preseason where he looks like he might have dropped a few pounds and looks reasonably quick:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

However, his touches have dropped each season, and he's not been in the end zone over the last two years. His numbers in Seattle last season were dreadful despite missing only one game to injury with a groin pull. He was a healthy scratch the last month of the season as Seattle gave up on him.

Sure, his conditioning is always in doubt and the accumulated affects of the pounding and injuries of RBs, of which Lacy has not been immune, make for short careers. That's enough to put anybody off. However, his problem in Seattle may also be partly attributable to misunderstanding what type of runner he is. Lacy is not a typical power back. He's more of a finesse back to and through the hole, then taking on tacklers at the second level once he has some head of steam. We saw this plenty in Green Bay, with both the spin moves and jump cuts through the line, a pretty dismal short yardage first down performace, but knocking guys down and moving piles once through the line.

If Seattle expected Lacy to move the pile at the line of scrimmage to compensate for a not-so-good run blocking line that would have been a mistake.

No, I don't expect him ever again in a Packer uniform; McCarthy had a belly full of dealing with the up-and-down conditioning issue and this is not a hand-holding league where you're told once, maybe twice, and you better follow through.

It's questionable whether he'll play anywhere again, though injuries do create emergencies as we move along to and through the season where grasping at the best available option among slim pickings might get him another shot if he's in any kind of shape.

But at this point, beyond the obvious conditioning and wear-and-tear issues, he doesn't neatly fit into any running back category, it's difficult to know what weight is most effective for him, and it's hard for OCs to wrap their head around an oversized finesse back who can't get the tough first down or break the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy was on pace for 1,200 yards with a 5.1 average (though no TDs) in that 4th. season until he was shut down after game 5 with a torn ankle ligament. He looked about as big that season as during his disappointing 3rd. season, but he looked quicker to and through the hole even if still slow at the third level. He was doing something more than eating pizza and playing Madden during that offseason between the third and fourth season.

Here are a few clips from last preseason where he looks like he might have dropped a few pounds and looks reasonably quick:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

However, his touches have dropped each season, and he's not been in the end zone over the last two years. His numbers in Seattle last season were dreadful despite missing only one game to injury with a groin pull. He was a healthy scratch the last month of the season as Seattle gave up on him.

Sure, his conditioning is always in doubt and the accumulated affects of the pounding and injuries of RBs, of which Lacy has not been immune, make for short careers. That's enough to put anybody off. However, his problem in Seattle may also be partly attributable to misunderstanding what type of runner he is. Lacy is not a typical power back. He's more of a finesse back to and through the hole, then taking on tacklers at the second level once he has some head of steam. We saw this plenty in Green Bay, with both the spin moves and jump cuts through the line, a pretty dismal short yardage first down performace, but knocking guys down and moving piles once through the line.

If Seattle expected Lacy to move the pile at the line of scrimmage to compensate for a not-so-good run blocking line that would have been a mistake.

No, I don't expect him ever again in a Packer uniform; McCarthy had a belly full of dealing with the up-and-down conditioning issue and this is not a hand-holding league where you're told once, maybe twice, and you better follow through.

It's questionable whether he'll play anywhere again, though injuries do create emergencies as we move along to and through the season where grasping at the best available option among slim pickings might get him another shot if he's in any kind of shape.

But at this point, beyond the obvious conditioning and wear-and-tear issues, he doesn't neatly fit into any running back category, it's difficult to know what weight is most effective for him, and it's hard for OCs to wrap their head around an oversized finesse back who can't get the tough first down or break the long run.

Good points. An underrated part of his game was what he did on screens as he could get to that second level a lot easier.

Reaction score
No I wouldn't bring Eddy back, but I always like his personality, friendly, fun lov'en, especially after a double hot fudge sundae……...:p

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers ranked fourth in the league in yards per rushing attempt last season although Rodgers missed half of it. They have enough talent at the position and definitely don't need another running back not capable of staying in shape.
We hardly ran the ball. We were 27th in rushing attempts. Which begs the question, does McCarthy have any idea what he is doing? The rushing aspect of this offense was actually working, but he sent our best RB to the bench and relied on misguided throws from a backup QB.

Reaction score
Which begs the question, does McCarthy have any idea what he is doing? The rushing aspect of this offense was actually working, but he sent our best RB to the bench and relied on misguided throws from a backup QB.

O my, just about the time I'm trying to forget those stupid coaching mistakes, this Mike McCarthy guy pops up.
I wish someone would start a post here on what their opinions are of this guy.

We all would like to see a winning season coming up with all the reconstructing in GB, but
we forget McCarthy is still up there and could make or break this football team in 2018-2019.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Eddie. He was so fun to watch his first couple of years. But I think he's done in the NFL. Don't think his heart is really in it. Not a knock on him at all. I sure as heck couldn't force myself to go through all the training and dieting and practice.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought he did well when he played in 2016 until Mike decided it was a good idea to make him play through a bad injury vs Dallas. There is also a lot of weird animosity with him people calling him a bust. He had 2 very good years and it's not like we overpaid him at any point.

Lacy being overweight contributed to him suffering a season ending injury at that point. In addition McCarthy didn't have any other running back available to play in Dallas that week. I agree he wasn't a bust by any means but there's no doubt he had the talent to have a way more productive career.

We saw this plenty in Green Bay, with both the spin moves and jump cuts through the line, a pretty dismal short yardage first down performace, but knocking guys down and moving piles once through the line.

Lacy actually converted a decent 70.4% (league average 66.6%) of his runs with two yards or less to go into first downs during his first two seasons in Green Bay.

We hardly ran the ball. We were 27th in rushing attempts. Which begs the question, does McCarthy have any idea what he is doing? The rushing aspect of this offense was actually working, but he sent our best RB to the bench and relied on misguided throws from a backup QB.

There's no doubt that McCarthy mishandled the play calling with Hundley starting. The backup quarterback not even close to being up to the task didn't help either though.

We all would like to see a winning season coming up with all the reconstructing in GB, but we forget McCarthy is still up there and could make or break this football team in 2018-2019.

McCarthy is definitely capable of coaching a winning team. The improvement on defense will be most vital to the team's success this season.

Reaction score
There's no doubt that McCarthy mishandled the play calling with Hundley starting. The backup quarterback not even close to being up to the task didn't help either though.

And guess what, Hundley and McCarthy are still in GB...……..:eek:
Along with them, and players getting injured, I'm hoping for a better season this year.

H

HardRightEdge

Lacy actually converted a decent 70.4% (league average 66.6%) of his runs with two yards or less to go into first downs during his first two seasons in Green Bay.
Then what? At his best, <4% above league average for a 1,000 yd. runner considered a "power back" speaks to my point.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Absolutely. Didn't utilize the running game enough, and didn't play toward the only strength that Hundley had as a QB last season: his legs. Very rarely was that utilized.

McCarthy is definitely capable of coaching a winning team. The improvement on defense will be most vital to the team's success this season.
I think this is the biggest point that some are missing in regards to McCarthy.

Like I posted in another thread, I have no questions about what the offense will do as long as AR stays healthy, which is what we have to assume because without AR we aint winning a SB anyway. To your point, the biggest key is just how much will Pettine be able to improve the defense?

Get it to a top 12 defense and we'll have something cooking. Hell I'll even take top 15 in the first year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Has he cleaned up the drinking issue? Which is why he was over weight ( many posts on his drinking issue)

Is his motivation still there? He has trouble staying focused. They even called Bamas coaches to figure out how to get thru to him.

I say no

Reaction score
No thanks in regard to Eddie, his time has past.

Regarding our rushing game there is an Interesting tidbit.. we currently possess 2 of the top 10 rushing QBs from 2017 and that doesnt include AR who has historically been upper echelon for a QB.
I believe Aaron has a reasonable chance to pass Steve Young before retirement. He is in reasonable shape to put him as one of the top 3 rushing QBs in NFL history. It would take him roughly 6 seasons to have a very good shot at that at his current pace as he’s only 1,569 yards behind Young.
We often think of Aaron as a great passer and for obvious reasons... but he often gets overlooked for those 1st down scurries and sideline routes.

Last edited: