Earl Thomas

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrjr5HG_ck]YouTube - S Earl Thomas Highlights/Lowlights 2009 Texas vs Ok. St./Nebraska/Bama[/ame]

From Earl Thomas Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Few players have come as far as Earl Thomas in such a short amount of time. The 5-10 strong safety was not that highly touted coming out of high school and redshirted his first year at Texas. As a redshirt freshman in 2008, Thomas totaled 72 tackles, two interceptions and broke up 17 passes. He was even an integral part of the special teams unit. Thomas is just a sophomore in 2009, but he will be eligible for the draft since he will be three years out of high school.

He might leave early if he keeps performing like he has so far in 2009. Through six games, Thomas is second on the team with 27 tackles and has amassed an incredible five interceptions (and he even forced a fumble).

Thomas' 5-10, 197 pound frame is not ideal for the NFL, but he is not a weak player. He has good coverage skills and a ton of speed, so he could be converted into a corner. However, he has enough strength to play strong safety in most systems and certainly has more than enough potential to develop into a consistent player. Thomas might have some more to prove before he is ready for the NFL; it would probably make the most sense for him to come back to Texas for at least one more year.

1/19 Update: Thomas kept up his impressive sophomore campaign and ended the year ranked second on the team with 77 tackles. More impressively, he picked off eight passes and broke up 16 more. His versatility is making his stock move up extremely quickly and Thomas should be a first or second round selection when all is said and done and that is why he opted to go pro after just two years of playing for the Longhorns.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see much at run support, and he's small. Don't think he can play SS, and at FS we're already set... Plus, he's slated to go higher than 23...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More scouting:

Earl Thomas Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Highly productive and consistent
Centerfielder with great range
Eats space quickly
Very good recovery speed and acceleration
Nice all-around athlete
Sure tackler in run support
Love his instincts
Doesn't let play get behind him
Takes solid angles
Ballhawk - great on pursuit INTs
Does a good job of reading QB's eyes
Low, smooth backpedal
Has nice route recognition
Quick hips
Great in man coverage
Playmaker
High ceiling

Weaknesses: Occasionally gets out of control; goes for big hit
Smaller player - will his body hold up in pros?
Late in run diagnosage
Will have limitations in run support at next level

Summary: Earl Thomas is the kind of football player you just love to watch on tape. You fall in love with his speed, athleticism and instincts, but some teams might be scared of his small frame, which really seems to be the only thing holding him back from being a top-10 draft pick. Thomas projects as a free safety in the NFL and seems to be too good to fall out of the top 25 picks.

Player Comparison: Reggie Nelson. Despite his inconsistencies with the Jags, Nelson displays outstanding range and is a ballhawk free safety. Thomas is obviously has a somewhat smaller body frame.

OP
OP
T

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides not being great in run support, he's an amazing prospect. I'd love it if we got him. He's shown he can make up for his small frame with his great coverage abilities. He has tremendous upside since was only a sophomore and can only get better from here. Sounds like a former Texas player currently with the Pack, hmmmm....

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Thomas is that he will fill two holes on our team for us. He has started both as a Safety and Cornerback from time to time in college. So I wouldn't mind if we had this guy as our starting SS or move him to nickel or cornerback.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that, what we really need out of our Safeties is coverage ability. We have shown we can stop the run. We need more guys that can cover. I'd gladly exchange run support for coverage skills in my SS.

I'd rather have both, though...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stumbled on the latest cheeseheadtv article and a lot of what it's saying makes sense. Based on the needs of other teams there's a high chance that Earl Thomas presumably falls down to us. Plus Taylor May's draft stock has been (surprisingly) rising following his pro day so he'll be pushing Thomas for the No. 2 spot of best safety in the draft. Thomas may fall a little because of it and fortunately it might place him at pick 23.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stumbled on the latest cheeseheadtv article and a lot of what it's saying makes sense. Based on the needs of other teams there's a high chance that Earl Thomas presumably falls down to us. Plus Taylor May's draft stock has been (surprisingly) rising following his pro day so he'll be pushing Thomas for the No. 2 spot of best safety in the draft. Thomas may fall a little because of it and fortunately it might place him at pick 23.
gramar cop.

#3 safety. #1 is Berry...

didn't read it, but it's possible. Would love for us to pick him, because he has played corner also. He could be Chuck Woodson of the other side. He could interchange S, CB, and LB, like woodson, in Capers scheme.

We'd be unstoppable!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is two years away from having an impact on the field but I like him.

herrry.orason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An NCAA rules states that a team can have as many same number players as they want but those players cannot be on the field at the same time with the same number.

Members online

Latest posts