Driver: I wont exit like Favre

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
GREEN BAY – Donald Driver doesn’t know how or when his Green Bay Packers career will end – he’s certain it won’t be this year – but the veteran wide receiver knows this much: He won’t leave the way his friend and former quarterback Brett Favre departed.

“I don’t want that,” Driver said, recalling how the future Pro Football Hall of Famer was traded to the New York Jets in August 2008, spent the past two seasons with the rival Minnesota Vikings and remains estranged from the franchise he once personified.

“For me, just being around the people upstairs, from (former general manager and team president) Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan to now (current president and GM) Mark Murphy and Ted (Thompson), do I think it’ll ever get to that point? No. I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I’m so bitter and I’m so upset at those guys.

I think I can walk away, give those guys a big hug and say, ‘Hey, I appreciate it,’ and retire and put the cleats on the shelf and have some fun.

Wow, never thought he would say things like that...Or am I reading to much into it?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...recalling how the future Pro Football Hall of Famer was traded to the New York Jets in August 2008, spent the past two seasons with the rival Minnesota Vikings and remains estranged from the franchise he once personified.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pathetic. It really is. To turn your back on the fans of the community team who embraced him for all those years especially after those play off game let downs.
To go to a rival team just to get revenge? WTF!? Why? You don't do that to ones who love you.

Glad to read that Donald Driver (And no doubt future Packers who will retire from the Packers) are taking a much much higher road than Brent.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
“Sometimes it comes down to a business situation. And if it came down to business, I’m hoping I can walk upstairs and sit down with those guys and say, ‘Look, what aer you guys planning on doing?’” Driver said. “If they say, ‘Donald, we’re going a different route,’ I respect that. I can’t do anything about it. But if I still feel like I’m playing at a high level, then maybe I can go somewhere else and play. Do I want to do that? No. But it’s a business decision, and I’m going to continue playing if I still feel l can play.
“I think the Packers will give me an opportunity to retire here. I don’t think they would want me to leave and go anywhere else.”

Did you mean that part of the article, longtimefan?

I hope - no I am quite sure - that DD will retire in Green Bay.
But he clearly says it could be business decision and that he wants continue playing if he still feels good.
I think this is theoretical, DD is 36 now, I give him 1 or 2 more years in Green Bay.
After that he will retire, becoming a HOFer in Green Bay and everything will be fine ;)

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If DD still thinks he can play after this season but the Packers choose to go in another direction why shouldn't he try to extent his career somewhere else...?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Favre is retired

and I still hear about him.

Just a few weeks ago it was "he's coming back Gary, he's gonna play for Miami" and I tell my buddy, yeah you're pulling my leg right? And then I see it on ESPN. They have no one else to write about or talk about so they say "Favre might come back".
The media is so far up everyone's *** these days. Not just TMZ but ESPN too and it's to a point where you wish the internet and media didn't exist sometimes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If DD still thinks he can play after this season but the Packers choose to go in another direction why shouldn't he try to extent his career somewhere else...?

He has the right...Just as Brett did..

But I think Driver wont wait till end of June to decide if he wants to retire or not..Then change his mind two more times

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you mean that part of the article, longtimefan?

I hope - no I am quite sure - that DD will retire in Green Bay.
But he clearly says it could be business decision and that he wants continue playing if he still feels good.
I think this is theoretical, DD is 36 now, I give him 1 or 2 more years in Green Bay.
After that he will retire, becoming a HOFer in Green Bay and everything will be fine ;)

Yuppers..that was the part..Dont want people to miss it

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Didn't old "you know who", aka "iphone shutter bug", say the same thing? Heaven help us...Packer fans don't need another heart wrenching emotional roller coaster like that again. I'm hoping Donald is more of a class act than that.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want DD to retire! EVER! However, I know he'll have to eventually and it's good to know that one of my favorite Packers will be going about it the right way. It says a lot about DD, makes me even prouder of him and proud to be a fan.

ozbuc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the difference between DD and Farve will be drama and attitude. If Mr Driver makes that business decision and comes back to Lambeau with a different team he will be welcomed warmly.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People forget...Brett did the retire wont retire summer time thing for a few years..

Then changed his mind at least two times in 08...Most got pretty tired of the game

I "think" Driver would stick to his choice no matter what...But I also think the team will cut him if he asked..At the time Brett could still play pretty well, Driver is clearly on last legs..so bit different situation

So for those trying to really compare Brett and Driver, stop...No where near the same

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
People forget...Brett did the retire wont retire summer time thing for a few years..

Then changed his mind at least two times in 08...Most got pretty tired of the game

I "think" Driver would stick to his choice no matter what...But I also think the team will cut him if he asked..At the time Brett could still play pretty well, Driver is clearly on last legs..so bit different situation

So for those trying to really compare Brett and Driver, stop...No where near the same

As memory serves, that waivering started in '05 and AGREE'D... no where near the same.

DD is definately a class act, and I believe will remain so,..no one will have that gag relfex happening when mentioning him whenever he does retire!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Donald Driver represents not only a player of the highest personal integrity but also a great human being. I hope he gets to leave Green Bay on his own terms. I used to run around the office proclaiming Favre is a god. He turned out to be a self centered primadona. It is really a shame how he destroyed what would have been a legendary legacy.

Lets hope Donald gets to catch a touchdown pass in XLVI and XLVII. Then he can retire.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I so hope he proves me wrong and has a monster season. I don't see it, I think there's too much talent around for him to have a big year, I think he will lose some playing time to Nelson, Jones and the TEs...

It's not that his play has declined drastically, it has not. But the others around him have elevated their level.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'll always love DD for his heart. He gives 100% all the time.

I still remember in the 2007 NFCCG, seemed like he was the only guy busting his *** out there to win. Then Farve throws the game away. I felt horrible for DD. You could tell he was thinking that might be as close as he gets to winning a SB. Very happy for him that he got his Ring.

I'd be bummed if he didn't retire in GB.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much class to do that crap. DD is beloved by all Packers fans, he has no reason to pull something like that to hurt us. All the sweat he put in at practice and heart in games to lead WR corps for a decade will lead him to a Packers Hall of Fame someday. Great player to be one of the faces of the franchise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts