Draft Rumor

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about the Packers trading Najeh and our #1 rd to the Dolphins for their #1 rd (second overall) pick?

Packers get - Dolphins #1
Dolphins get - Packers #1 and Najeh

I hope to god this is not true. This draft does NOT have a sure fire starter in it at any position. I have no link this is just a rumor I heard at work.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I've heard them talking about something like this for a few months, but not anything significant. I think the Dolphins are exploring lots of possibilities for their running back situation.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see GB doing a number of different draft trades w/ the Fins. Miami has cap problems which will make signing the #2 pick difficult. Likewise, they have no 2nd rd pick and are unsetteled at QB and RB. It would be beneficial for GB in that they could pick either one of the top QBs or RBs in the draft, but how would GB be capable of signing the #2 pick. I think it really depends on how long Farve plans to play. I believe this will be his last year. Question is does GB/TT try everything they can to win this last year or draft for the long haul. Looking at the moves they/he has made thus far suggests to me they are looking down the road.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both D. Johnson and A. Rolle are going to be quality starters as rookies. I don't know if I would be willing to give up Davenport though to move up.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
B

arrowgargantuan said:
umm...thats not going to happen. a trade for the number 2 pick...for what? an expensive quaterback? nah...

Thats what I was thinking. I can't see a QB in this draft that is a 'solid' to start especially in this offense. To me this trade does not make much sense. It's too risky. I mean Who knows how long A. Green will last over 30? If they are serious about this do they believe Fisher will be able to carry the load? And just what QB do they merrit as worth this huge *** step? Also makes you wonder did Brett say 'hey guys I'm through after this year' ... I dunno my mind is flipping lol

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, if any of you caught the Sports Wives special on A&E, you might have herd Ms. Farve talk about how messed up last year was for them because of all the family turmoil....death & cancer. Basically, Deanna said they couldn't enjoy the season so they wanted to come back and really enjoy this one last season. That's not a direct quote, but it's essentially what I herd her say. Likewise, it's consistent w/ what Brett has said all along about wanting to be home for one of his daughter's H.S. years. His oldest daughter is a Junior this coming year. I think it's one more and done for Farve. Frankly, if TT doesn't pull the team together any better than he has to date, I could still see Farve saying he's changed his mind and will retire before the season.

I'd like to see GB make a move for Jason Taylor. I think this is the type of move Farve is looking for as well. Picking up a player like Taylor would legitimize this Def overnight. We could do any number of things to make this happen. Frankly, I would be willing to give up our 1st rd pick for Taylor. This would be like an early 2nd rd pick for Miami. Taylor doesn't have an injury issue or lack of production problem...there appears to be gas left in his tank. Likewise, I can't see GB getting anyone any better than Taylor in the 1st rd. One the other hand, perhaps all it would take is a 2nd rd pick and or adding Davenport w/ a 2nd rd pick?

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor is a All-Pro DE! DL to LB is not an easy adjustment @ the pro level; I would play Taylor opposite KGB. Thing is, I don't know what Taylor's contract is like? It has to be fairly costly considering his past productivity. It's hard to say what Miami would want for him?

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see this happening for a couple reasons.

1. I highly doubt the Dolfins would trade down for Davenport who has seen limited playing time, and has a history of being somewhat injury prone.

2. With the Packer's salery cap the it is, I don't think they can easily take on signing a top 5 pick. That contract would have to be pretty big.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with 43 - up front the initial (supposed) deal.. just strikes me wrong!
We get a number 1 and they "also" get a number 1, PLUS they also get Najeh? Where's the SPOCK logic on that idea? Why is Green Bay supposed to give up more than it gets? Straight off guys - this will NOT happen - if it did? Then I'd ask a Psycho-Doc take a real hard look at TT... ooooh, you betcha!

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB, I agree w/ you; I doubt it happens which is why I continue to doubt GB will make it back to the SB anytime soon. GB started their last SB run getting Reggie White and building from there. Of course they already had Farve and a pretty good Offensive unit. That's true today as well. Getting Taylor would be a similar move in my mind. Neither one of them where or are over the hill. Frankly, if GB could take on the contract, I'd say they could get Taylor for a 2nd rd pick and maybe "something" else? Normally anytime you trade up, your going to give up more than you get...that's just the way it works. Unfortunatley, GB has pissed away the last 4 Farve years not signing quality Def FAs and waiting and hoping draft picks will develop into something. It hasn't worked to say the least. Most any good team will use a combination of FA, draft and trades to build a SB team. That's what NE has done the last couple of years and it's exactly what GB did in 96 & 97. Look at the top teams in the league and I'll think you'll find they all use a combination type approach. Very few good teams are all or nothing in FA.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard this rumor too, but I can't find anything in writing. I wouldn't mind seeing them trade Nejah because we'll probably lose him after this year anyway. I wouldn't make the trade just for that pick, but I would make the trade if I was set to trade down with some team with the 5-10th player and their 2nd choice also. :mrgreen:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This trade doesn't make sense to me. If the Dolphins would have wanted Davenport, I would have thought they would have offered him a contract while he was a restricted free agent. He was a restricted free agent recently before signing a contract extension with the Packers. If the Packers wouldn't have been able to match the contract, the Dolphins only would have had to given up a 4th rounder to get davenport. Since no team even offered Davenport a contract while he was a restricted free agent, I doubt he has much trade value because of his recent injuries. I just can't imagine him being worth enough combined with a late first round pick to jump up to the 2nd pick in the draft.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slackerbacker. You read way too much into that Sports Wives special as to this being Brett's last year. Assuming it's not, then you can't afford to mortgage the future to get the big game this year. History shows you can't buy your way to the SB.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming it is Farve's last year, do you just want GB to sit on the sideline and not even try to take advantage of him comming back? That's basically what TT has done to this point. The TV special is not the only piece of info on Farve possibly retiring it's just another tidbit in a long line. History also shows you don't draft your way to the SB either. As I mentioned earlier here, most good teams use a combination approach w/ trades, FAs and the Draft. GB's 96 & 97 teams didn't draft Santan Dotson, Sean Jones, Reggie White, Eugene Robinson, K. Jackson, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, or Desmond Howard to name just a few. Likewise, they didn't have an OL w/ a 10M contract (Clifton) either.

Members online

Latest posts