Draft plans changed?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the signing of Pickett and Manuel by GB and the signing of Brees by
Miami and the possibility of Vinateri in GB; does that change the plans on how the Pack will address the coming draft? In other words does T.T. now think of trading down or do you think he'll stick with number 5 and either Williams who now be a goner before GB drafts, or A.J. Hawks. My prefrerence is still with Hawks but, douubt if T.T, thinks along the same lines. :shock:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can draft Mario Williams definately go with him in my opinion. If he's off the board I think we have to take AJ Hawk. At pick #5 where going to get an impact player whether it's Williams or Hawk. I prefer Williams but Hawk would be just as nice as well.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Mario is probably off the board, I'm a firm believer in Vernon Davis, but I wouldn't be down on Hawk.......

Sidenote....Denver is shopping their two first round picks for future picks in 2007 due to overspending in FA...they can't afford both picks...lol.....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we re-signed bubba franks, and we have donald lee.

as good as vernon looks, we're ok at TE

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand, I like Donald Lee also, but we need playmakers.....granted I've seen alot of teams do this and flood a position.....I just love Vernon Davis....Trade with Minnesota so they can draft Cutler...its a win, win for the Packers

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tabojc03 said:
I understand, I like Donald Lee also, but we need playmakers.....granted I've seen alot of teams do this and flood a position.....I just love Vernon Davis....Trade with Minnesota so they can draft Cutler...its a win, win for the Packers

Davis won't last till Minny's pick.

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry not refering to Davis at all in the last line, just saying Minnesotta is looking to move up to get one of the top three qbs.....I personally think Cutler is a bust waiting to happen, so trade the 5th to Minnesota so they can draft Cutler and be stuck paying him for 5 years riding the pine.....

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd just stay at five. Even if Williams doesn't make it to us, Hawk is a talented linebacker who should make an immediate impact for us.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
im thinking we trade down to mid 20's and get boby carpenter and other pick. but only if mario is gone

If Mario goes in the top 4, I think TT may look to trade down, but not out of the top 10. We have lots of pretty good players on defense, we need impact players.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess with all the FA activity in GB and the signing of a couple of our own it should be a very interesting next few days alongside of what the Fins and NO has done. Don't think Vinateri will be a Packer though. I'm still high on Hawk and think he'd make a master addition to our defense and give the defensive coordinator far more flexibility then without him. The "D" definitely has to pick it up in the turnover stats now. And the offense has to show far more ball control and mistake-free play. Does anyone know whether T.T. has had anymore words with either Brett or Javon?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Green Bay will know what to do until draft day(or shorter before). They will need to plan a dozen scenerios because I think there's going to be a feeding frenzy at the front.

One projection: The teams needing QB's are going to want to trade up.
Another: A playoff contender(like Indy) might want Reggie Bush so much they trade with Texas, who needs more than a running back.
Another:Teams like Williams so much they will trade up to get a player who could be the next Reggie White.
Green Bay factors into all of these possibilities.

I think there's a very good liklihood that Vince Young will be there at #5. He probably doesn't fit Green Bay, but he might another team. Jay Cutler might also be there. This gives TT plenty of ammo to trade down and still get a first-year contributor like Greenway from Iowa and pick up a later pick. Also, don't be surprised if he picks a corner to compete with Ahmad "I never had a brain so how can I lose it?" Carroll.

I think as it gets closer to draft day it will be very clear that TT will see the value in trading down, rather than signing one player on a team badly in need of depth at several positions.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the offense in SF sucked last year, but look at what MM was working with. It is pretty much like saying that the race car driver couldn't break 150 mph when he is driving a 1975 Chevy Vega!

Smith, when not hurt, was a drop back college QB trying to transition to pro set....never a pretty sight. Additionally, the organization had spent several years purgung talent to make up for their salary cap sins of previous years.

Bad analogy, net.

Members online

Latest posts