Don't look for Koren Robinson anytime soon

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my real world job, I sit in on dozens of court cases each month. I have a fairly clear idea of how the courts work. While there are individual differences state to state, they have a similar sentencing pattern.

The article linked below tells me......that Koren is going to a jail either in Minnesota or Washington for at least a year. Local jail, if he's lucky. If your sentence is one year or less it's local jail. More than a year it's off to prison. The minimum the judge in Minnesota is likely to consider is one year in local jail. The sentencing is strictly up to the judge following guidelines handed out by the state. If he wants to consider more than a year, it's off to state prison.

All of this takes time. With his Alford plea, it will take a minimum of 45 days for a pre-sentence report(if ordered, doesn't say), but Koren will likely be sent to a new residence sometime in March. Do the math...12 months maximum (I'm not certain, but I think Minnesota, like Wisconsin, has "Truth in Sentencing" which means you don't get out early) means he would be out sometime in 2008...my guess is the Washington state probation violation will be factored into the Minnesota time as "concurrent" or running at the same time as the Minnesota time. This doesn't have to be the case, though. He could serve his time and then if Washington folks want to be obstinate, he could be shipped there to do some time for the probation violation. By getting arrested in Minnesota, he violated his probation terms in Washington, there is no dispute over that. That means he also falls under the sentencing guidelines in Washington. If he's lucky, he will have his Washington jail time factored into his Minnesota time.

He has to be sentenced to down time. Since he's a repeater...trust me, the judge will show no leniency. My guess is the judge will give him the year, because of the amount of public dollars spent to put him under arrest and the threat to the public he caused with a high-speed chase.

All the draftniks: move a wide receiver up your board...don't count on Koren for 2007.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=556220

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What would you call someone who got busted FIVE times for drinking and driving who gets one year jail time WITH huber? Thats leniency and judges offer it up WAY more than they ought to, in my opinion.

I know for a fact there are people who've been busted for DUI more than three times who got less than six months jail time.

I wouldn't count on Koren, but I wouldn't count him out either, especially based on your post.

I'm not trying to claim to be any legal expert or anything and those who I know where nailed for DUI were in Wisconsin and laws and what not vary from State to State.

If you want to try an play 'predict the sentence' we should find similar cases in Minnesota and compare that way because if its anything like Wisconsin, he won't get **** which EXTREMELY ****ING STUPID!

Frequently Asked Question About Drinking and Driving

ps, watching Judge Judy doesn't as having a "fairly clear idea of how the courts work" :p (heh)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Using the link you provided in your post I found this odd.
"Prosecutor Paul Tanis agreed to remain silent on that issue during sentencing."

Is that normal? Just doesn't seem right to me. Someone who is trying to lock someone up isn't going to state their recommendation for sentencing? Or am I not understanding something?

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get paid to sit in court. Judge Judy is a TV show I can watch for free that has little or nothing to do with reality.

Prosecutors remain silent as part of a plea deal. They do this so the case can be closed. It's very costly to take cases to full 12 person jury trials. In fact, if every person accused of crime did that, the local taxpayers would have to fork over huge amounts of extra money and the system would break down. It is a person's right to a trial if they so choose, and those trials take time and money. So what the prosecutors do is work out something in a plea where the defendant says he will plead to a lesser charge. In exchange for the guilty(or in this case Alford)plea, the prosecutor will recommend a lesser sentence or remain silent, which puts more weight toward the defense when the judge is weighing options.

But the judge isn't stupid. He/she knows very well a deal has been struck and prosecution's silence is done to expedite the matter, not a backing down on the facts.

It happens quite frequently in the cases I've been at.

If you are busted(get a lawyer) but don't cave in early. Make it look like you want to take it all the way to a full trial and most of the time(short of homicide) the prosecutor will work a plea so the case can be closed.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Judge Judy comment was a joke. I was hoping the :p (heh) would be enough to make that clear.

Thx for the explanation too!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is though.........pro atheletes get sweetheart deals all the time. I wouldn't doubt if Robinson gets a slap on the wrist.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people get sweatheart deals until their track record catches up with them. Robinson has some tracks.

1) He no longer lives in Washington. The state does not want him but does want his money. My guess would be light on jail time and maximizing the fines and court costs in resolving the issue.

2) Minnesota is more serious. He was fleeing law enforcement. Early 2008 is a good guess for (1) and (2) to get resolved.

3) The Packers will retain the rights to Robinson and he will have a chance to knock the rust off before the 2008 season. He will likely make the team only if there is an injury or two at WR.

Speculation:
Most likely he will get cut and be out of football until he is a desperation midseason pick up by a team.

4) He cost the Packers next to nothing. They have little invested in him. Ted is the one guy in the league who may believe in him enough to give him a chance. He is not a big part of the future just an augmentation to it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
low risk(low money), high reward(he plays and contributes on special teams and more)

that be called smart business, yo

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Associated Press reports Green Bay Packers WR Koren Robinson entered an Alford plea Monday, Jan 22, on a felony charge of fleeing police during a high-speed chase last August. An Alford plea allows someone to acknowledge that evidence in a case could result in a jury reaching a guilty verdict, but it doesn't require a person to admit guilt. In exchange for the Alford plea, authorities dismissed seven lesser charges related to drunken driving, reckless driving and driving without a license, according to the Detroit Free Press. Robinson also agreed to forfeit the BMW 760 he was driving during the incident. The felony charge carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Doesn't sound good. I agree that WR is a much bigger need now. However you still don't need to make a desperate move to find a #3. I actually think this hurts our return game. Robinson could be a nice return man for us but we may not find out for another year or more.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky: unless the defendant is O.J. Simpson, the judges usually don't give a maximum. I also noticed in the article that he already has been given 90 days in Wisconsin for violating his Washington probation. If he's free now...Minnesota sentence pending...Wisconsin already at 90 days...Washington likely to give about the same...90 days....My best guess is he isn't going to be around for the 2007 season. The attorney in the article said he would argue for the lesser offense...HOPING... for the one-year max. But the judge may well keep it a felony and he could get something in the 1-3 range in Minnesota, depending on whether the judge is constipated that day or not(kidding...they have sentencing guidelines).

But I'm betting he's gone this year...and a convicted felon next year.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all i know is people who havwe repeated dui just get maybe 6 months or so go under huber then are released like that guy not to long ago very big repeat offender and they really did nothing thats why he keeps doing it,but i dont live in minnie so who knows

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think they should look for a veteran FA WR who's more like a #2/3 WR....

(Keyshawn..??)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I think they should look for a veteran FA WR who's more like a #2/3 WR....

(Keyshawn..??)

For a one or two year deal I would agree. However Keyshaun is still under contract with the Panthers and he'll probably play for them or retire.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that fleeing from C.L.O.P.S. isn't nearly as bad as:

Getting girls who are 18, 16, and 15 wasted in your hotel room ( Travis Henry, CIN WR- serving two(2) days of a 90 day sentence)

Trying to smuggle dank aboard a plane from FL to ATL. (Ron Mexico, ATL QB- declared innocent!)

Deficating in your ex-girlfriend's closet (The Phantom Pooper, RB- No charges, just public ridicule)

FREE KOREN!!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Getting girls who are 18, 16, and 15 wasted in your hotel room ( Travis Henry, CIN WR- serving two(2) days of a 90 day sentence)

Trying to smuggle dank aboard a plane from FL to ATL. (Ron Mexico, ATL QB- declared innocent!)

Deficating in your ex-girlfriend's closet (The Phantom Pooper, RB- No charges, just public ridicule)

FREE KOREN!!!!!

yeah, high speed chases aren't dangerous....who could they hurt? besides pedestrians and other innocent drivers? riiiiiiiight...

cmon now. lol.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

FREE KOREN!!!!!

yeah, high speed chases aren't dangerous....who could they hurt? besides pedestrians and other innocent drivers? riiiiiiiight...

cmon now. lol.

I agree. Not to mention the guy was freakin drunk!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

FREE KOREN!!!!!

cmon now. lol.

Actually thinking about it. Koren's was probably the worse of all of the ones named. At least in my uneducated opinion of laws.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree Porky. Drinking and driving is stupid, add on running away from the cops? More stupid. He claims he was only rushing to avoid a fine, but I dunno.

I hope he can clean his act up, for his sake and if he does hopefully he'll be a good asset to the Packers.

I'd like to see him on the team, but I'd also like to see him learn a lesson so if he gets the book thrown at him, oh well.

Members online

Latest posts