Does Daniels Make Raji Expendable?

H

HardRightEdge

Oh Bus, that's gold! What's a "sue chef"?
Is that like a lawyer behind the scenes at an eatery to defend against ill patrons?
Wait, wait, so if the sue chef calls in your order incorrectly what is the source of your sickness? He called in "E-coli" instead of the soup du jour?
I believe the term is sous-chef.

Maybe "called up" is agent-speak for "sh*t on". As in, "I called up the general manager about his most recent contract offer."

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Oh Bus, that's gold! What's a "sue chef"?
Is that like a lawyer behind the scenes at an eatery to defend against ill patrons?
Wait, wait, so if the sue chef calls in your order incorrectly what is the source of your sickness? He called in "E-coli" instead of the soup du jour?
I meant called in like Raji has called in his games, as of late. So called in as in, didn't really give a ****

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the back half of this season, teams have run all over us. I would attribute early season success against the run to Pickett and Jolly playing healthy. Pickett's been battling a bad knee that, by Packer standards, should have him grounded. Jolly gets dinged up every game. So, where is Raji stepping up? He's not.

The old, tired argument that Raji is not in there to rack up stats is long past exhausted. A grand total of 1 solo and 2 assists in the last 6 1/2 games? Taking 40 snaps per game? Really? A minimum salary journeyman jobber could at least trip a guy more often than once in 260 snaps. And there's Josh Boyd out there on limited snaps, "just plugging holes", but he somehow manages 3 solo tackles, including a nice tackle for loss, against Dallas.

Why do I keep banging this drum when there are plenty of problems with this defense? Because Raji is a presumptive leader, with a presumptive large contract offer having been put on the table, while the guy provides a bad example. Lack of intensity in this defense falls in some part to Raji.
/Thread over.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I meant called in like Raji has called in his games, as of late. So called in as in, didn't really give a ****
OK Buseroo, but what's the whole sue chef thingy?
You're not happy unless you're unhappy are you Bus? I've never seen a poster who gets more enjoyment out of misery than you. The Packers just tied the franchise record for come from behind and you're not happy? Bus..... poor little Bus.... what would make you happy? The Packers and PackerForum want you happy for the playoffs (er, Christmas) what would it take?
Is it even possible for you to like the Packers again? Would another SB win make you a fan again?
Sad for you buddy! Really.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
OK Buseroo, but what's the whole sue chef thingy?
You're not happy unless you're unhappy are you Bus? I've never seen a poster who gets more enjoyment out of misery than you. The Packers just tied the franchise record for come from behind and you're not happy? Bus..... poor little Bus.... what would make you happy? The Packers and PackerForum want you happy for the playoffs (er, Christmas) what would it take?
Is it even possible for you to like the Packers again? Would another SB win make you a fan again?
Sad for you buddy! Really.
Not sure what you found in my post that indicated that I was unhappy. I am currently in a perpetual state of rapture. People pay others to teach them to be as happy as I am. I get no enjoyment out of our misery, but I can spot misery and I call it as such. I'd be a fool to see misery and make excuses for it.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too love analogies. If I were to eat at your restaurant and puke, it could very well be that your run a great eatery and one of your sue chefs called in my order. It may not happen every order, but sometimes he might just take a meal or 20 off.
You might love analogies, but yours is lost on me.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Not sure what you found in my post that indicated that I was unhappy. I am currently in a perpetual state of rapture. People pay others to teach them to be as happy as I am. I get no enjoyment out of our misery, but I can spot misery and I call it as such. I'd be a fool to see misery and make excuses for it.
If you consider yourself in a perpetual state of rapture then I guess I read you wrong. You are bipolar. You can't recognize that you complain continuously about those things you have no control over. I'm of the mind that you complain about the weather and traffic and how others raise their children.
You get no enjoyment out of "our" misery? Where did you read I was miserable? I don't constantly complain about one of the most successful franchises in the NFL. I enjoy it. The only misery you are pointing out is your own Bus.
You make no excuses for the misery, you invent it buddy.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
You can't recognize that you complain continuously about those things you have no control over..
How would that make me different from a person who cheers about things that he has no control over? It doesn't, but it goes with the turf of being a fan. Doesn't matter what side of the fence you're on. At the end of the day, Packers winning is all that counts. Ah, even though we both have no control over how it ends up.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't notice that date. Fair enough.

However some of us did not want to pay him then, when Pickett and Jolly were on top of their games, or last year for that matter. "Plugging holes" and "taking up blockers" isn't enough to get paid, regardless of what Capers says.

I wouldn't disagree, I was merely arguing on behalf of his importance to the scheme. 8 Million sounded a little too rich to me as well.

grignon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think Raji makes Raji expendable. A shame. At least we'll always have Chicago. :)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not even overrated anymore. He's just terrible. $8M? I wouldn't pay him $2M.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You knowRaji has talent...I don't think he likes this system or something along those lines, but to his credit I don't think he's ever said anything like he's disgruntled with his role or wants to play in a 4-3. But he probably should. He's been a good soldier and done what he was supposed to do.

Maybe a change in scenery will do him some good. He's not a bad guy...just doesn't deserve anywhere near$8 mill a year.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if he went to the Vikings if they paid him that $8M. $17M tied up in 2 of our outcasts should keep them in the cellar for the foreseeable future.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly Raji has made his self expendable demanding more than 8 mil per year after a productionless year he had his presence from this year was nothing short of damn near invisible, Daniels just makes losing him that much easier to say bye.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly Raji has made his self expendable demanding more than 8 mil per year after a productionless year he had his presence from this year was nothing short of damn near invisible, Daniels just makes losing him that much easier to say bye.

I don't think he'd sign regardless of the offer...he wants to be able to do more within the defense. He has every right to choose to move on.

Frankly this one's on Packers scouts and TT for not recognizing that he wouldn't be content eating up double teams his whole career. Pretty sure that was a concern when he was drafted...he might be a whole different player in the 4-3 (though it's unlikely as I'm pretty sure he played plenty in that sort of role in nickle packages etc).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly this one's on Packers scouts and TT for not recognizing that he wouldn't be content eating up double teams his whole career.
GM's draft players with other positions and defenses in mind all of the time. 22 year-olds coming out of college are rarely content with changes. Recognizing that doesn't mean squat. Evaluating whether he could be successful in that role is the key. He was successful for a season, and then mentally checked out for the next three seasons. You might have better luck playing the blame game with Capers as the culprit for not finding other ways to play him that utilize his talents. TT and staff did a good job finding Raji.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM's draft players with other positions and defenses in mind all of the time. 22 year-olds coming out of college are rarely content with changes. Recognizing that doesn't mean squat. Evaluating whether he could be successful in that role is the key. He was successful for a season, and then mentally checked out for the next three seasons. You might have better luck playing the blame game with Capers as the culprit for not finding other ways to play him that utilize his talents. TT and staff did a good job finding Raji.

Settle down friend. This wasn't really a criticism of TT, it was more a criticism to those ripping on Raji. I don't blame Raji for wanting his abilities utilized better, you may as well blame TT for drafting him. You don't have to get all defensive of Ted...I like him too. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think he'd sign regardless of the offer...he wants to be able to do more within the defense. He has every right to choose to move on.
None of us know for sure but I’ll bet if Russ Ball, upon hearing Raji’s agents first proposal, had stood up and extended his hand and said, ‘It’s a deal!’ Raji would be happy to stay with the Packers.
Frankly this one's on Packers scouts and TT for not recognizing that he wouldn't be content eating up double teams his whole career. Pretty sure that was a concern when he was drafted...he might be a whole different player in the 4-3 (though it's unlikely as I'm pretty sure he played plenty in that sort of role in nickle packages etc).
What an credible stretch to blame Thompson and his staff. Go back and review Raji’s play from his rookie season. Then review the season he had in 2010 and his great contributions to that Super Bowl winning team. And if you still think Thompson was wrong to pick him, please tell us how Raji has been restrained from making those kinds of play from the end of the 2010 season until this season when his lack of production caused him to be removed from a lot of sub package snaps.

I realize some will want to blame Thompson and some will want to blame the coaching staff but IMO the person mostly – almost entirely – to blame is BJ Raji himself.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of us know for sure but I’ll bet if Russ Ball, upon hearing Raji’s agents first proposal, had stood up and extended his hand and said, ‘It’s a deal!’ Raji would be happy to stay with the Packers. What an credible stretch to blame Thompson and his staff. Go back and review Raji’s play from his rookie season. Then review the season he had in 2010 and his great contributions to that Super Bowl winning team. And if you still think Thompson was wrong to pick him, please tell us how Raji has been restrained from making those kinds of play from the end of the 2010 season until this season when his lack of production caused him to be removed from a lot of sub package snaps.

I realize some will want to blame Thompson and some will want to blame the coaching staff but IMO the person mostly – almost entirely – to blame is BJ Raji himself.

As stated before...you are being too sensitive to criticism of TT....I think all in all he's a great gm...sheesh!

What I was trying to say was that if the guy wants to go somewhere else to play that's his prerogative...if you're gonna critisize him for not taking the Packers offer, then let's also critisize TT for drafting a guy who it was thought may have a problem just eating up blockers on the line. Neither of those are, in my opinion, fair criticisms.

I think you might be a little quick to jump to the rescue of TT...maybe save it for when he's actually being criticised.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As stated before...you are being too sensitive to criticism of TT....I think all in all he's a great gm...sheesh!

What I was trying to say was that if the guy wants to go somewhere else to play that's his prerogative...if you're gonna critisize him for not taking the Packers offer, then let's also critisize TT for drafting a guy who it was thought may have a problem just eating up blockers on the line. Neither of those are, in my opinion, fair criticisms.

I think you might be a little quick to jump to the rescue of TT...maybe save it for when he's actually being criticised.

It's his prerogative to go play in a new system for a new team once he is a free agent. It's not his prerogative to quit and go through the motions near the end of his contract. If you're not happy in your system, play your tail off and earn a good deal elsewhere.

Raji didn't do that. The evidence is pretty strong that he began to quit and take plays off as soon as Rodgers went down, and he wasn't able to disengage the single blockers he took on this year, much less eat up double teams.

Raji had 39 tackles and 6.5 sacks in the same exact role in 2010. So what's changed about his role now where he can no longer make such plays? Yeah, he had Cullen Jenkins then...but he had Mike Daniels now. The scheme didn't hold BJ Raji back. BJ Raji held BJ Raji back.

He really rolled the dice this year. He rolled the dice that he could earn a big deal based on his early-career reputation and hope GM's ignore the fact that he was a complete non-factor for an entire season and averaged barely a tackle a game and hasn't offered any interior presence in years. His next contract will reflect whether or not he's right about that, and he'll have to live with it either way.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have not criticized Raji for not taking the Packers offer. In fact if he was offered anywhere near the $8M/year reported, I thank him for not taking it. I don't want him back for big money because he hasn't earned it since 2010. And here is what you posted, "Frankly this one's on Packers scouts and TT for not recognizing that he wouldn't be content eating up double teams his whole career. Pretty sure that was a concern when he was drafted..." First, that's an affirmative statement: It's on Thompson for drafting him. Second as I said before, look at his performance in 2009 and particularly in 2010. If he could still be that difference maker, the Packers would turn him loose. Same DC, same DL coach, same scheme. What's changed? Raji's performance. IOW, he had a lot of opportunities to get consistent pressure and sacks in 2011 and 2012. It was only this season that worked his way off of the sub packages. Third, before that draft I remember a lot of "experts" saying he'd excel as a NT. The only concern I remember was after wowing scouts at the Senior bowl, he didn't play that well in the game. So I would be interested in reading scouts saying he wouldn't want to eat up blocks as a 3-4 NT.
I think you might be a little quick to jump to the rescue of TT...maybe save it for when he's actually being criticized.
I have criticized Thompson (for not acquiring a vet safety before this season and for ******** up the backup QB spot, for example) and have no problem with legit criticism of him. You just are not offering legit criticism and the proof is in the play of Raji his first two seasons, particularly 2010 when he made a significant contribution to the title. That's the player Thompson and his staff drafted. It's not their fault he no longer has that fire.

SB45CHAMPS#1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem with Raji is he hasn't had a sack in two years! Not more the 40 tackles in two years. He wants SuH money but he's not an amazing player and rarely requires a double team

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the question, does Daniels make Raji expendable? IMO yes, but only if Jolly is healthy. Daniels + Jolly make Raji expendable. Pickett can be had for one more year on the cheap.

S and ILB are more pressing needs for this team next year. I'd rather see us get top prospects in the draft for those spots than spend another high draft pick on a DL.

Members online

Latest posts