Does Daniels Make Raji Expendable?

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im confused, how is EDS a "complete misfit?" i dont even think he was originally a center to start his career, may be wrong but i dont think so. i think his role on the team is huge.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
im confused, how is EDS a "complete misfit?" i dont even think he was originally a center to start his career, may be wrong but i dont think so. i think his role on the team is huge.
His strengths don't play well to our system, pretty straight forward. He was a LT in college, though that's somewhat irrelevant as many of the leagues top Centers started as a college LT. We have made a few adjustments to play to his strengths, but the fact remains that he is a poor system fit. That's not to devalue EDS and what he currently means to this team, it just is what it is. It's the same way Barclay would be better suited to G, but has been huge for us as a RT. I'm eager to see how Tretter comes along, as he has the skill set to thrive in our system.

Side note: Wells was probably the best C fit for our system by far, and we didn't hesitate to let him walk. That should say all you need to know about how we value the position. It really is one of those spots where you can get by with a mediocre guy.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His strengths don't play well to our system, pretty straight forward. He was a LT in college, though that's somewhat irrelevant as many of the leagues top Centers started as a college LT. We have made a few adjustments to play to his strengths, but the fact remains that he is a poor system fit. That's not to devalue EDS and what he currently means to this team, it just is what it is. It's the same way Barclay would be better suited to G, but has been huge for us as a RT. I'm eager to see how Tretter comes along, as he has the skill set to thrive in our system.

Side note: Wells was probably the best C fit for our system by far, and we didn't hesitate to let him walk. That should say all you need to know about how we value the position. It really is one of those spots where you can get by with a mediocre guy.

Your observations might be spot on but the line is playing well right now.

After seven games this season, we're one of the top rushing teams in the NFL (third in yards per carry). Everyone's excited about Lacy but that production has as much, if not more, to do with the play of the o-line. From a practical standpoint, there's little imperative to change what's working.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
His strengths don't play well to our system, pretty straight forward. ... We have made a few adjustments to play to his strengths, but the fact remains that he is a poor system fit.
What specifically makes him "a complete misfit" for the the Packers' system? (And if he were, wouldn't we see glaring problems in the running and/or passing game due to the "misfitting" of the OC?) What do you view as his strengths that don't play well in the Packers' system?

IMO EDS is playing better than some are giving him credit for. That's not to say he's all world or anything but IMO if you want to focus on a player most in need of being replaced on the OL, that player is Don Barclay at RT.

BTW, what's the difference between "elite" potential and plain ole potential? :D

Last edited:

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not getting the disrespect of EDS' value to the packers either. Last year, TT tried Saturday as a patch. Saturday became the obvious weak link, especially in the run game. (Newhouse was the weak link in pass pro). When Evan replaced Jeff the Packers were obviously more effective running the ball. This year they're even better. I'm not sure that's possible with a guy who is "a complete misfit" for the system we employ. If I t is true, which I doubt, it calls into question the sanity of a GM who would develop a misfit for four years while signing someone who was a worse fit while the development of said misfit was taking place.
In this case, I will choose to believe the more likely scenario, that TT knew what he was doing with EDS, values him for the part he plays in the system, and therefore HyponGrey is mistaken in his analysis of EDS.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Tretter has elite C potential, but as far as I know he has yet to snap a ball. The big problem with drafting a top OC prospect is that this year's C crop is really weak. EDS is a good back up, and could even be good if he wasn't a complete misfit for our system.
Then it's pretty clear they will be looking for Tretter to backup EDS. Maybe, just maybe they already know what they have in this guy. He's smart as a whip and that's important at C.
I'm going to be comfortable thinking that the Packers drafted Bahk and then Tretter knowing who they were taking. Well, I'm an optimist Hypon so there ya go.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Raji will get a deal done, it won't be the deal he wants but i think Teddy works something out. Shields is going to be the one who gets paid, he has turned into a top 5 corner in this league so he's earned it. Starks has come on as of late but he's gone, i think Dajuan Harris and Lacy are going to be an awesome tandem that i'm looking forward to seeing. James Jones?? I would love to keep the guy but like i've said before sombody is going to offer him #1 wr type money and i don't see Teddy matchng that. Jennings? good riddens, have Hyde gain some weight and move him to safety with Burnett. EDS? who knows...i'd move lang to Center and put Sherrod at Rg and slide Bahk over to the right side.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Y'all make it seem like I'm saying EDS is a bad player, and that's definitely not the case. Think more Breno Giacomini.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Y'all make it seem like I'm saying EDS is a bad player, and that's definitely not the case. Think more Breno Giacomini.
You didn't say EDS was a bad player. You just implied he was bad for the Packers by saying he was a misfit or the system. Either way my observation still valid. I still think you are mistaken in either case.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Raji and Pickett showed today they are replaceable by a basket of 3 day old ham sandwiches. These guys are making 13 million and could be replaced by two minimum salary street free agents.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Raji will get a deal done, it won't be the deal he wants but i think Teddy works something out. Shields is going to be the one who gets paid, he has turned into a top 5 corner in this league so he's earned it. Starks has come on as of late but he's gone, i think Dajuan Harris and Lacy are going to be an awesome tandem that i'm looking forward to seeing. James Jones?? I would love to keep the guy but like i've said before sombody is going to offer him #1 wr type money and i don't see Teddy matchng that. Jennings? good riddens, have Hyde gain some weight and move him to safety with Burnett. EDS? who knows...i'd move lang to Center and put Sherrod at Rg and slide Bahk over to the right side.
Why is Starks gone? Starks > Harris. At the very least, Starks > Franklin & Bell

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji and Pickett showed today they are replaceable by a basket of 3 day old ham sandwiches. These guys are making 13 million and could be replaced by two minimum salary street free agents.
Pickett is showing his age. Raji it's hard to say. Would he be more effective if he had some help around him? He looked good early this season when everyone was fresh and Jolly was helping to plug the middle. A lack of stats can't be held against him since DLs in a 3-4 are not expected to do anything but eat blocks. My personal opinion is I will leave that decision to the professionals. I assume TT and MM know more about football than I do.

I'm an Executive Chef and I personally feel I know more about the operations of my kitchen and the effectiveness of my staff than people outside of my operation.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji's best play of the game was lead blocking for Lacy on a goalline set.

Anyone else have a problem with a player like that making $8M a season?

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Pickett is showing his age. Raji it's hard to say. Would he be more effective if he had some help around him? He looked good early this season when everyone was fresh and Jolly was helping to plug the middle. A lack of stats can't be held against him since DLs in a 3-4 are not expected to do anything but eat blocks. My personal opinion is I will leave that decision to the professionals. I assume TT and MM know more about football than I do.

I'm an Executive Chef and I personally feel I know more about the operations of my kitchen and the effectiveness of my staff than people outside of my operation.
I too love analogies. If I were to eat at your restaurant and puke, it could very well be that your run a great eatery and one of your sue chefs called in my order. It may not happen every order, but sometimes he might just take a meal or 20 off.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Pickett is showing his age. Raji it's hard to say. Would he be more effective if he had some help around him? He looked good early this season when everyone was fresh and Jolly was helping to plug the middle.

In my opinion, over the last three seasons, Pickett has been a better player than Raji, and yes I agree with you that Pickett has been showing his age for years now.

I think Pickett needs to be kept at a 25 snap count and even at that I don't think he can play the second half of the season with the same production as the first half. I also feel that Raji would be a more productive player if he was kept to 30 snaps a game.

Next year, I just don't see how the Packers can keep Raji on board. I think both he and James Jones will get offers that will far exceed what the Packers should be willing to pay them. I really hope they are able to sign Jolly to a 2-3 year contract laden with incentives and are able to get Pickett at maybe 1.5 - 2 million on a 1 year with no bonus and give Boyd the first half of next season time to advance his game. They will need to be able to hide 1-2 NT's on the practice squad. We really need to get significant progress from Worthy, D. Jones and Boyd next year.

H

HardRightEdge

I actually think Raji is the most important on that list. Sure his production hasn't been **** but he did put the Defense on his back in 2010 and this season he's been an early down bulwark against the run. Without him I don't see us being able to stuff the run with only 2 down linemen like we've been able to this season

In the back half of this season, teams have run all over us. I would attribute early season success against the run to Pickett and Jolly playing healthy. Pickett's been battling a bad knee that, by Packer standards, should have him grounded. Jolly gets dinged up every game. So, where is Raji stepping up? He's not.

The old, tired argument that Raji is not in there to rack up stats is long past exhausted. A grand total of 1 solo and 2 assists in the last 6 1/2 games? Taking 40 snaps per game? Really? A minimum salary journeyman jobber could at least trip a guy more often than once in 260 snaps. And there's Josh Boyd out there on limited snaps, "just plugging holes", but he somehow manages 3 solo tackles, including a nice tackle for loss, against Dallas.

Why do I keep banging this drum when there are plenty of problems with this defense? Because Raji is a presumptive leader, with a presumptive large contract offer having been put on the table, while the guy provides a bad example. Lack of intensity in this defense falls in some part to Raji.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the back half of this season, teams have run all over us. I would attribute early season success against the run to Pickett and Jolly playing healthy. Pickett's been battling a bad knee that, by Packer standards, should have him grounded. Jolly gets dinged up every game. So, where is Raji stepping up? He's not.

The old, tired argument that Raji is not in there to rack up stats is long past exhausted. A grand total of 1 solo and 2 assists in the last 6 1/2 games? Taking 40 snaps per game? Really? A minimum salary journeyman jobber could at least trip a guy more often than once in 260 snaps. And there's Josh Boyd out there on limited snaps, "just plugging holes", but he somehow manages 3 solo tackles, including a nice tackle for loss, against Dallas.

Why do I keep banging this drum when there are plenty of problems with this defense? Because Raji is a presumptive leader, with a presumptive large contract offer having been put on the table, while the guy provides a bad example. Lack of intensity in this defense falls in some part to Raji.

HRE consider the date of when I made that post. Back then Raji was a central cog in one of the League's better if not best run defenses. Since then he's completely flopped, enough said.

H

HardRightEdge

HRE consider the date of when I made that post. Back then Raji was a central cog in one of the League's better if not best run defenses. Since then he's completely flopped, enough said.
I didn't notice that date. Fair enough.

However some of us did not want to pay him then, when Pickett and Jolly were on top of their games, or last year for that matter. "Plugging holes" and "taking up blockers" isn't enough to get paid, regardless of what Capers says.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I too love analogies. If I were to eat at your restaurant and puke, it could very well be that your run a great eatery and one of your sue chefs called in my order. It may not happen every order, but sometimes he might just take a meal or 20 off.
Oh Bus, that's gold! What's a "sue chef"?
Is that like a lawyer behind the scenes at an eatery to defend against ill patrons?
Wait, wait, so if the sue chef calls in your order incorrectly what is the source of your sickness? He called in "E-coli" instead of the soup du jour?

Members online