Does Cold Weather Really Make a Difference?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad all the people on this site who were sure home field advantage was going to make the difference were right

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Plot twist: cold weather is a disadvantage for us because it’s harder to kick touchbacks and our special teams can’t cover returns.
It might be a little more complicated than that ... with the benefit of hindsight and all.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be a little more complicated than that ... with the benefit of hindsight and all.
I was being a little sarcastic when I said that, but there is some truth to the statement. The Niners had a few good kickoff returns, setting them up in nice field position. If it was warmer weather, Crosby would likely have had at least a touchback or two.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its because in the past this team has had success in the cold. Not since they have a qb from CA that seems to only value himself and his "needs". forget that - he needs to realize that defense wins championships and now he has no ground to stand on - this year the defense was there and he BLEW IT.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If Rodgers is still with us next season. Get the damn 7th Seed, seems like we do way better if we start playing on Wild Card Weekend as underdogs.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Most players in the NFL have cold weather team backgrounds, I don’t think its a major difference between teams because they will both suffer the same, problems with weather, GB has yet to prove they have the advantage with the weather or home field

Reaction score
Most players in the NFL have cold weather team backgrounds, I don’t think its a major difference between teams because they will both suffer the same, problems with weather, GB has yet to prove they have the advantage with the weather or home field
Then how do you explain an 8-1 home record? With 1 loss on a walk off FG in a 10-10 game?

Now homefield doesn’t help? This is getting just stupid in here. Bunch a posters with nothing better to do than blindly swing at the air in their frustration.

The Packers mainly lost because cold weather magnified mistakes on both sides. But with #32 ranked ST unit it was a debacle of biblical proportions. Our ST allowed a -10 point Swing!

Add to that a makeshift OL (Where was Bakhtiari! What a disappointment this OL was!)
against possibly the best front 7 in the NFL and you get an mismatch. They held Jones snd Dillon tO like 3 1/2 Per carry, just pathetic blocking and rookie style penalties.

Without the cold weather or homefield we probably lose by 7-10 points instead of a nail biter

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Then how do you explain an 8-1 home record? With 1 loss on a walk off FG in a 10-10 game?

Now homefield doesn’t help? This is getting just stupid in here.
are you saying the 8-1 is against all warm weather teams? Where was the advantage this year, or last year, or the year before, if a team has the advantage in cold weather, the advantage would show when it really mattered

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
No you said the word “AND”

On our planet AND means true-true. Both values MUST be true.

Weather AND Homefield was your poke or are you retracting your statement?? If not quit changing your argument and answer the question
As and Alien from a another world I don’t understand your comment, but with this earth juice you call Tequila I will be able to respond to your post properly

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe our team is built wrong to take advantage of the cold weather? Maybe if Dillon hadn't gotten hurt, we might have won? I don't know, I'm tired of playing the woulda coulda shoulda game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now homefield doesn’t help? This is getting just stupid in here. Bunch a posters with nothing better to do than blindly swing at the air in their frustration.
are you saying the 8-1 is against all warm weather teams? Where was the advantage this year, or last year, or the year before, if a team has the advantage in cold weather, the advantage would show when it really mattered
Home field advantage isn't defined by who wins or loses the game, it is defined by the home team having an advantage over the visiting team. I believe Vegas and other oddsmakers give the home team +3 points. As Old School correctly pointed out and some posters just don't seem to grasp, the Packers may have gone out West and lost this game by double digits.

So next time you hear "home field advantage" don't equate that to "sure win".

Reaction score
So we like to play teams from warmer climates in Green Bay when it's cold and play the "tough" card.

To me, I say if other teams use enclosed stadiums, everyone should use enclosed stadiums.
I know, I know, it's Lambeau Field and been that way for years.

I feel the cold DOES effects warm weather teams, and it does, to a certain degree, effect
the Packers players also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To me, I say if other teams use enclosed stadiums, everyone should use enclosed stadiums.
I know, I know, it's Lambeau Field and been that way for years.
So tear down 75% of the stadiums in the NFL and build new ones? :rolleyes:

They probably should do that for baseball too, right?

No wonder we have problems in this world.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Home field advantage isn't defined by who wins or loses the game, it is defined by the home team having an advantage over the visiting team. I believe Vegas and other oddsmakers give the home team +3 points. As Old School correctly pointed out and some posters just don't seem to grasp, the Packers may have gone out West and lost this game by double digits.

So next time you hear "home field advantage" don't equate that to "sure win".
It used to be +3 points for home teams, but now it's more like +1.5. Home field advantage is not as valuable as it was, with teams barely winning more than 50 percent of home games nowadays.

I think there are a few reasons why there has been this shift. Sports science has helped players better deal with traveling. Teams have figured out how to best time their travel based on the distance/time zone change, trainers give treatment to counter the negative effects of altitude, etc. Stadiums today are also much more likely to contain fans from the opposing team, limiting the impact of crowd noise. Anyone can buy tickets online, and with the internet, it's much easier to be a fan of a team that you don't live near. I've never lived in Wisconsin but I can still consume a lot of Packers material, something that would not have been possible 25 years ago. I think organizations have also cracked down on the rowdiest, drunk fans to make the stadium a more welcoming environment, also quieting the noise of the crowd. And ticket prices are much more expensive than they once were, meaning games attract a different style of fan, i.e. upper class/upper-middle class, less rowdy. So the demographics of the crowd have also changed.

So I wouldn't say that home-field advantage is gone, but I do think it's exaggerated. It's been so ingrained in fans' minds for generations that you have a big edge at home, that a lot of people haven't realized that the advantage has largely withered away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you hear read anything here were I said tear down any stadiums??????????????
Maybe a roof could be added to Lambeau Field.

Go take your %^&&&%$##$%^ meds.
The issue with adding a roof is that it would be incredibly expensive. That's one of the challenges the Bills are facing now. Lots of fans want a roof on the new stadium but it's not going to happen in part because it would cost the taxpayers a lot more money. There would be the same obstacle in Green Bay, never mind that I can't imagine very many fans want a roof (I don't). Lambeau is such a historic stadium that it should always be roofless.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
with teams barely winning more than 50 percent of home games nowadays.

Again....using the word "winning" with home field advantage isn't correct. Should the Jags be favored to win every home game, because they are....at home? No. The spread might be a few points in their favor, but it doesn't mean they are favored to win.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again....using the word "winning" with home field advantage isn't correct. Should the Jags be favored to win every home game, because they are....at home? No. The spread might be a few points in their favor, but it doesn't mean they are favored to win.
That's not my point. The home team used to win more frequently, even just 15 years ago, and by larger margins. And when home teams got blown out less frequently as well. So of course the Jags shouldn't be favored. I'm just saying that home-field advantage is less than it once was. This is why Vegas has caught up and stopped giving +3 points to the home team.

Members online

Latest posts