Does Brett's decision alter the draft?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it alters the first pick...but beyond that...will the pack be more inclined to go after a wr or guard (although they'd need guards regardless)...will they focus more on offense?!? Any thoughts?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
No it doesn't alter the draft.

Brett is not the 'future' of the Packers. I am saying that in the truest form, not a slap in his face.

He's playing this season (and next season too).

Rodgers is our future and if the Packers can get their hands a QB they feel is superior to him, they will take him and I hold nothing over them if they do so.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might. I think TT will make a big push for Woodson. I think TT will draft AJ Hawk or Williams if he's available. After that, they will go offense and get guards and receivers.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk hawk hawk...but other than that, I think you may be right packedhouse...maybe a pick or two of best available...but I don't see too many glaring holes with this team other than guard and wr depth, so it makes some sense to hit those spots hard and hope to find a few that will work out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all. TT will go BPA.. In my opinion it'll be either Hawk or Vernon Davis. Young would be a darkhorse but a big one.. They'd have to dislike Rodgers like I do to take him... I'd say Super Mario is out of the question now. He won't be on the board when we pick.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
mattresell said:
It shouldn't effect the draft at all. We have no fewer holes than we had yesterday.

Exactly. We still need a QB for the future. (I'm not saying Aaron can't be that person, just saying if you have superior talent available at QB you HAVE to take it)

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything...Favre retiring would alter the draft...we might feel obligated to get Vernon Davis, as a target for Aaron Rodgers to get acquainted with...

Guard and receiver was a hole an hour ago before Brett made the announcement, and still is now--hopefully they're addressed accordingly

a bigger question is...does this alter/solidify Charles Woodson's decision...

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's true that the holes are still there, but are you more inclined to go best available throughout the draft...or best available at the position you need since this is Brett's last year?

As for Woodson...man, it sure can't hurt...and I find it amusing that he says he's making a decision w/in 48 hours, and then the brett news pops a few hours later.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT keeps talking about taking the best player in round 1 and is said to not be ruling out QBs. It could be a ploy but could Vince Young end up a Packer? I hope not he doesn't appeal to me especially that early.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ravage said:
TT keeps talking about taking the best player in round 1 and is said to not be ruling out QBs. It could be a ploy but could Vince Young end up a Packer? I hope not he doesn't appeal to me especially that early.

I'll lose a lot of respect for Ted Thompson if he does...he'll go back completely on what he set out to accomplish with his first draft...

Aaron Rodgers had mop up duty in his first season--therefore the only game footage you have of him as a starter is what he had with the Cal Bears...and that information was readily available before we took him at #24...so someone effed up...scouting staff, ted thompson, someone--IF they're willing to go back on their first pick this quickly without even seeing him play

the #24 pick could have (and if I had things my way would have) been Odell Thurman who didn't do too shabby as a rookie with cincy...I'm not saying that pick sent us into tailspin and a 4-12 season, but I don't think it was a great move especially now that rodgers is good enough (sarcastic) that we're doubting his potential before he's even had serious, meaningful experience with the team

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will NOT draft a QB in round one. Just running a little interference.

A-Rod will be the QB when Favre leaves.