Do we have enough talent on this team this season?

WiscoKOB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need defensive help and a running back. I wouldn't want Dez Bryant because I think he is a locker room cancer. It's very easy still. Get a quality home win this Sunday and things will feel better. The tie sucks because it should have been a win. Last week they didn't play well for sure. Best the Bills and go into October feeling better. By the way, "Christ in cleats" is practicing this week and thats a good sign.

Attachments

• 20180913_173020.jpg
    20180913_173020.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:

WiscoKOB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a safety and a Pass Rusher maybe Oline help
Agreed. Can always use Oline help. I think defensive backfield is a concern, particularly in the now pass happy NFL. GB plays some good QBs this year. Secondary has got to get better. Hopefully with time they will gel into the new DC and his schemes.

Attachments

• 20180913_190539.jpg
    20180913_190539.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20180913_175453.jpg
    20180913_175453.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to hi-jacket this post so far but...……

Did you see the Vikings lose to the Ram Thursday night by 1 TD?
The Rams are going to take it all this year, but those Vikings are 1 play away for winning the division.

OH, can the Packers forfeit on Nov.25th, and the game is up there?
I really doubt the NFL would allow forfeits unless there was a really good reason like the whole team coming down with food poisoning or something like that where it cannot be avoided.
With all the money they would stand to lose I can't see them allowing a team to give up a game just because they wanted to.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, we're not a legit contender this year.

We're completely dead at LB... we don't have a single difference maker on defense.

The organization has refused to address LB for years, at least in a serious way. Kyler Fackrell and Vince Beigel were joke picks. Burks is one of the worst football players I've ever seen. Great athlete, terrible football player.

Both lines are weak. The offense is stale. We have have major problems that won't be overcome this year or next... too many things to fix.

D

Deleted member 6794

no not enough talent and thus not going to the SB. 9-7-1 and maybe a wildcard.

The NFL has expanded the regular season to 17 games??? ;)

We need defensive help and a running back.

The Packers have definitely more pressing needs than running back.

Burks is one of the worst football players I've ever seen. Great athlete, terrible football player.

Both lines are weak.

It's way premature to evaluate Burks as he has played a total of 18 snaps. The starting offensive line as well as the defensive line are definitely strengths.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, didn't the 2010 season have stretches like this? Where the team looked incomplete and not like a playoff team? I think there is talent on this team. Enough to even win a Super Bowl, we just need the talent to get hot at the right times.

As long as Rodgers is under center, we're a playoff contender IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, didn't the 2010 season have stretches like this? Where the team looked incomplete and not like a playoff team? I think there is talent on this team. Enough to even win a Super Bowl, we just need the talent to get hot at the right times.

As long as Rodgers is under center, we're a playoff contender IMO.

The 2010 team, while going only 10-6 during the regular season, never looked as bad as this year's squad has done during stretches over the first three games. Remember, during the Super Bowl season eight years ago the Packers never trailed by more than seven points at any point during the entire season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should be able to adequately address edge rusher and safety next offseason, unfortunately it's close to impossible doing it during this season.

The Packers next year appear to have one legitimate pass rush threat in Nick Perry and he can't be counted on to be healthy. Daniels and Clark are very good DTs but they're not scary pass rushers, they are very good players but they are not guys that can play like Aaron Donald . You are telling me that, in one offseason, the Packers are going to be able to get either a rookie who is immediately a great edge rusher, or they're going to spend a ton of money on an edge rusher in free agency? Edge rushers are the most in-demand defensive players in the league, it's not exactly the work of three months in the offseason to just grab one.

Reaction score
I think we can moderately address much of our remaining needs this coming offseason.
We will likely let several contract ending players walk and might be surprised by the names. So we need to NET 1-2 through trades or FA, then I feel like we have a good chance of picking up 2-4 starters in the 2019 draft.

But the part some of us are forgetting is that we have quite a bit of young, unseasoned talent already on this team, im talking player capital that just havn’t had enough live game experience but some will soon be realized capital very shortly.

Players just don’t walk onto the field after one offseason and excel at probowl levels. Look at Davante Adams and how far he’s come since his rookie year. I remember some in here calling for his head just a few short years ago. Also Geronimo and Aaron Jones are in process of making names for themselves on Offense.
IMO we will see some players on our D similarly rise later this year into next. I’m very confident this team will get better before it gets worse. Let’s not slit our wrists just yet, we’re still trying to find ourselves through major front office changes, let’s be patient and enjoy watching the transformation process of a new OC, DC and GM.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can moderately address much of our remaining needs this coming offseason.
We will likely let several contract ending players walk and might be surprised by the names. So we need to NET 1-2 through trades or FA, then I feel like we have a good chance of picking up 2-4 starters in the 2019 draft.

But the part some of us are forgetting is that we have quite a bit of young, unseasoned talent already on this team, im talking player capital that just havn’t had enough live game experience but some will soon be realized capital very shortly.

Players just don’t walk onto the field after one offseason and excel at probowl levels. Look at Davante Adams and how far he’s come since his rookie year. I remember some in here calling for his head just a few short years ago. Also Geronimo and Aaron Jones are in process of making names for themselves on Offense.
IMO we will see some players on our D similarly rise later this year into next. I’m very confident this team will get better before it gets worse. Let’s not slit our wrists just yet, be patient and enjoy watching the transformation process of a new OC, DC and GM.

I agree that youth can be counted on to get better. I'm very optimistic that the Packers, next season, will have a stellar group of corners and, should HaHa come back (just an assumption since i know some think he'll be too expensive) will make for a VERY good secondary; something to keep in mind is that Brice hurts the team so much in coverage right now because of the lack of experience in the secondary, with better players around him he might only be below-average. I'm less positive on the pass rush if only because edge rushers are really tough to find and, while I know some are high on Gilbert, he's going to have to start showing some major improvements soon.

I also think the oline will be fine next year, as will the receivers, dline, and running backs. The only real problem area, assuming the corners improve, looks to be the pass rush.

I do think Adams is an interesting example. The guy is a great receiver, probably a better overall receiver than Diggs (Diggs is better at what he does than Adams but I think Adams can do a lot more), and yet something has been off about him this year. He just isn't making that jump that many expected in the offense. It's kind of strange; the only complaint people ever had about him was his hands. So last year he fixed his hands and now he doesn't really have any flaws in his game and yet he hasn't appeared very dominant this year. Again, please don't think I'm knocking him (I just said he was better than Diggs), I just find it strange that he's gotten off to such a slow start this year.

Reaction score
I do think Adams is an interesting example. The guy is a great receiver, probably a better overall receiver than Diggs (Diggs is better at what he does than Adams but I think Adams can do a lot more), and yet something has been off about him this year.
I believe Aaron missing much of game 1 and limping into game 2-3 have had an effect on his stats. He’s a solid WR and watch his stats revive as Rodgers gets healthy

I'm less positive on the pass rush if only because edge rushers are really tough to find and, while I know some are high on Gilbert, he's going to have to start showing some major improvements soon

There will be several solid options at pass rusher in FA that will provide adequate improvement. We have a realistic shot at getting someone for half of the Khalil Cost that will change the spectrum of that pass rush arena. Especially if we pair that with a 1st rounder or package our picks to move up and get whomever we desire as an Edge player. I think this could be the year that Edge becomes a position of strength (in 2019)

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers next year appear to have one legitimate pass rush threat in Nick Perry and he can't be counted on to be healthy. Daniels and Clark are very good DTs but they're not scary pass rushers, they are very good players but they are not guys that can play like Aaron Donald . You are telling me that, in one offseason, the Packers are going to be able to get either a rookie who is immediately a great edge rusher, or they're going to spend a ton of money on an edge rusher in free agency? Edge rushers are the most in-demand defensive players in the league, it's not exactly the work of three months in the offseason to just grab one.

The Packers have two first round picks next year which they could either package to move up or double down on edge rusher as they did with cornerback this season. With Gutekunst not being reluctant to use free agency I'm optimistic the pass rush can be significantly improved in 2019.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O line is a weakness. Bulaga has been ineffective and guard is a mess with McCray. Nether Jones or Brice have stepped up to where safety is a problem. Edge rush is simply MIA at this point. If AR goes down you are looking at a last place team. If he can stay upright 9 or 10 wins is a possibility but the team has too many holes due to too many high draft pick busts like Spriggs, Rollins, Josh Jones, Datone Jones, Randall, ect... to be a SB contender. The most likely scenario is a 8 or 9 win season. Gute continues to upgrade the team and MM slips in for another season in 2019.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk that we need to have a serious pass rushing upgrade at edge??? Now what has happened to these guys named Perry :poop: and Matthews :poop::poop::poop: that I have been told were the answer for years now?!?!?! Took that long to honestly evaluate our own talent? That’s ok TT had that problem also. Seen this need coming for quite some time now already not like it suddenly snuck up on us.

D

Deleted member 6794

O line is a weakness. Bulaga has been ineffective and guard is a mess with McCray. Nether Jones or Brice have stepped up to where safety is a problem.

The starting offensive line is definitely a strength, especially in pass protection. Jones hasn't played a single snap so far this season, making it tough for him to step up.

All this talk that we need to have a serious pass rushing upgrade at edge??? Now what has happened to these guys named Perry :poop: and Matthews :poop::poop::poop: that I have been told were the answer for years now?!?!?! Took that long to honestly evaluate our own talent? That’s ok TT had that problem also. Seen this need coming for quite some time now already not like it suddenly snuck up on us.

The Packers are fine with Matthews and Perry as their starting edge rushers as long as they perform up to potential and stay healthy. It was pretty obvious that depth was an issue entering this season though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to outscore the other team. Which means that MM needs to call really good games (in all aspects (including time-outs)). Like the guy said in baseball..."hit it where they aint." Personally, I like having the ball first for this team. Try to get off to a good start. Not start off in a hole. Everybody wanting the ball first in the 2nd half is a damn fad.

D

Deleted member 6794

Need to the Capt to tell us when the fad started and what the numbers are :)

It took some time to figure out the numbers but here's what I found. The league allowed teams to defer to getting the ball in the second half in 2008.

The Packers won the coin toss 31 times from 2008-10 but only deferred twice, winning both of those games. It seems McCarthy's approch changed after winning the Super Bowl, having deferred 44 times out of 63 games in which the Packers won the coin toss since the start of the 2011 season. The team went 29-15 in those games.

The winning percentage of .674 in those games is actually better than in other games (.607) over the past 10+ seasons.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should probly look into signing a receiver if Allison is out for a while unless they jacked up about there rookies

D

Deleted member 6794

We should probly look into signing a receiver if Allison is out for a while unless they jacked up about there rookies

Hopefully Cobb and Allison will be able to return quickly, it would take a free agent too much time to learn the system to be of any help immediately.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Hopefully Cobb and Allison will be able to return quickly, it would take a free agent too much time to learn the system to be of any help immediately.
I really wish the team would have acquired Josh Gordon, especially considering the cheap compensation it took for New England to get the deal done.